Friday, 12 March 2010

Film Bonanza!

Today I saw not only one film at the cinema, I saw two back-to-back! I haven't done that since I saw 'Big Fish' and 'Lost in Translation' on the same day (Burton's 'Big Fish' was by far the best of the two, there's more about him below). Today I saw 'Alice in Wonderland' and 'Shutter Island' with my good friend, extremely flammable. Here are my thoughts:

Alice in Wonderland - I really wasn't sure how I'd feel about this film although I guess my mood was of cautious optimism. Lewis Carroll's 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' is one of my favourite books (I think it's pure genius) and I'm a big Burton/Depp fangirl so you'd think I'd have been really, really excited about seeing it. No doubt I would have been if I hadn't seen their attempt on Roald Dahl's 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'. "I love Dahl, I love Burton, I love Depp!" was my thinking, "what could go wrong!" However, although it was visually great and Freddie Highmore gave a good performance as Charlie, I was disappointed. Depp (as much as I love him) was nowhere near as good as Gene Wilder was at playing Willy Wonka in the earlier attempt at adapting that book. Also, the Oompa Loompas were annoying and the songs mediocre at best. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about Burton taking on another classic children's book. As it turns out, his 'Alice in Wonderland' is definitely better than his 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' but it's still a little disappointing. Rather than being a straightforward adaptation of Carroll's books 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' and 'Through the Looking Glass', the film is actually a sequel to those books which takes place about twelve years later. It's a fresh idea and I give credit to the screenwriter Linda Woolverton (who wrote 'Beauty and the Beast' and 'The Lion King', two of Disney's greatest films) for coming up with it. I also really liked Stephen Fry as the Cheshire Cat and Anne Hathaway as the White Queen. I DID like Helena Bonham-Carter as the Red Queen too although I've just heard Mark Kermode's review where he argues that she's basically copying Miranda Richardson's performance as Queenie in Blackadder, and thinking about it I can kind of see his point! Those are the good things about the film. The bad things? Well, sadly, I found Mia Wasikowska a bit annoying as Alice. I thought she was totally lacking in charisma. Barbara Windsor, as the Dormouse, I also found VERY annoying although she irritates me in almost everything. The film drags in places too and I think it could have done with some more humour. It's good but not great so I'd give it a 3/5.

Shutter Island - This was DEFINITELY the superior film of the two. Martin Scorsese/Leonardo DiCaprio is another Director/Actor combo that I really love. Yes, I found their 'Gangs of New York' disappointing but I absolutely love 'The Departed' (I still haven't seen 'The Aviator' all the way through but I want to). This is a very atmospheric and, at times, disturbing film. So it's not exactly a great date movie (lol) but it's an excellent psychological thriller. I thought DiCaprio was brilliant (it may be his best performance, I reckon) and I was very impressed with his performance. The rest of the cast are very good too, though. This is the kind of film that you have to stay focused on otherwise you'll end up confused but it's powerful and I think it might be even better on a second viewing: 4/5.

Other thoughts from me:
- My hair looks fine! It badly needed a trim so it looks loads better. The highlights are a bit more subtle than I'd planned but I honestly like my hair looks with them. Yay!
- I don't get darts! Last night I watched a bit of a darts tournament at the M.E.N. Arena that was on Sky Sports. I just don't understand why you'd pay all that money to go when it's not even a real sport. Give me a Tennis or Football (yes, I am a girl who likes Football!) match any day.
- Coming up: My Most Hated TV Shows...

1 comment:

extremely flammable said...

Queenie from Black Adder! Of course! There was something oddly familiar about her. How could I not have noticed at the time?