Saturday, 13 August 2011

Christian Music

I'm sure that I've mentioned this one or two times before but someone reading this blog for the first time may not know that I'm a Christian. And since becoming a Christian I've come to love Christian music.

Christian music is one of those things that most non-Christians won't be very familiar with. Even the most popular and successful acts only tend to be famous within Christian circles. The band that most non-Christians are likely to have heard of is Delirious? They've split up now but they had a few top 20 hits back when they were together. I have had non-Christian friends and family telling me that they like black gospel music in the past but it's not really my thing. Some of it I like but some of it can be too screamy and shouty for my tastes. This post is just to comment on some of the music that I'm into and to let readers know that there is quite a bit more to Christian music than the Jonas Brothers.

I am generalising but broadly speaking there are two kinds of Christian music. One of which is the Worship music that you'll hear sung in churches. Worship music can include hymns such as Amazing Grace, How Great Thou Art, In Christ Alone, the Charles Wesley stuff and Jerusalem; as well as the boring stuff that you had to sing in school assemblies and choir. However, Worship music has been contemporised quite a lot and there are some really great artists out there like Tim Hughes, Phil Wickham, Chris Tomlin, Hillsong, Jesus Culture and Matt Redman who are bringing a lot to worship music and are often sung in churches these days.

On the other side, there are the Christian artists who use their talents to write Christian-themed music that isn't used in churches. There's a band that I love called Jars of Clay that are a good example of this, and Johnny Cash and Sam Cooke have written some great gospel songs. Mumford and Sons have Christian-themed lyrics as well.

Here are some links to some of the music that I like:

Jars of Clay - Eyes Wide Open


Delirious? - Did You Feel the Mountains Tremble? (cover by Tom Field)


Chris Tomlin - Everlasting God


Sam Cooke and the Soul Stirrers - Jesus Gave Me Water


Johnny Cash - How Great Thou Art


Hillsong - Hosanna


Phil Wickham - Divine Romance


Jesus Culture - Your Love is Everything


Jerusalem - William Blake and Hubert Parry (when will this be our official national anthem?!)


Mumford and Sons - Sigh No More

No comments: