Wednesday, 3 August 2011

'The Devil Wears Prada' by Lauren Weisberger (2003)

Synopsis: Andrea "Andy" Sachs is a young woman who has recently graduated from university. She is then hired as a junior personal assistant to the powerful fashion magazine editor of Runway, Miranda Priestly. The job becomes hellish as Andy struggles to keep up with her boss's outrageous demands.

The Devil Wears Prada is allegedly a semi-autobiographical story about Weisberger's own experiences of working for Anna Wintour at Vogue. Now I come to think of it this is actually quite an interesting premise for a book but it wasn't why I read it. I only decided to read the book after seeing its film adaptation. It came on TV one day and because I was bored I ended up watching it - and loving it! Much to my surprise the film was so much sharper and funnier than I thought it was going to be and I loved the acting. I've seen The Devil Wears Prada lots of times since then and it's such a fun and enjoyable film. However, unlike the film, I can't see myself revisiting the book again.

The Devil Wears Prada is at least 100 pages too long and Andy isn't a likeable heroine. Most of the time she just comes across as really whiny and spineless. She keeps complaining about how unhappy she is working at Runway but she never actually does anything to try to improve her situation! Well if you hate your job that much then why don't you just quit?! No-one is making you work there! Anne Hathaway's Andy is a lot more likeable and endearing and the film's ending is much better than the book's ending, which is schmaltzy and predictable. Also I personally find the film funnier. The film really is better than this book! Having said though I didn't hate the book either. It passed the time and certain bits of it were amusing.

Basically, if you're into Chick Lit then you'd be much more likely to enjoy this book. It's got fashion, parties, gossip, comedy, drama and glamorous locations (New York and Paris). But if you aren't into Chick Lit then you shouldn't bother.

Rating: 2/5

No comments: