Tuesday, 2 August 2011

'The Wizard of Oz' by L. Frank Baum (1900)

Synopsis: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (later called just The Wizard of Oz) is about a young orphan called Dorothy Gale. Dorothy lives on a farm in Kansas with her aunt, uncle and little dog Toto. One day the family farmhouse is caught in a tornado with Dorothy and Toto trapped inside. They eventually land in a place called Oz to find that they have accidentally killed the Wicked Witch of the East. The Good Witch of the North then arrives to tell Dorothy that the only way she will be able to return home is by going to the Emerald City and asking the mysterious Wizard of Oz for help.

To be honest I don't really get why this book is considered a classic (perhaps it's due to the classic film?) The Wizard of Oz is alright but it pales in comparison to other classic children's fantasy novels like The Hobbit and The Chronicles of Narnia. Yes, it is a classic book in terms of its age but I wouldn't call it high quality. It isn't particularly well-written and I noticed several grammatical errors. The characters are very one-dimensional and aren't especially interesting. The plot is decent I suppose but it never really stirred my imagination and emotions. A truly great children's novel will transcend its genre and will simply be a great book. The Wizard of Oz isn't a great children's book and is just for children only.

Rating: 3/5

2 comments:

Geneva said...

I also wasn't too impressed. I thought Alice in Wonderland held up much better as a classic and as a book that any age can read and enjoy.

Hannah said...

I love Alice in Wonderland! And I know for a fact that it can be read and enjoyed by adults. I didn't even read it until I was about 20 :)