Wednesday, 14 September 2011

'The Five People You Meet in Heaven' by Mitch Albom (2003)


Synopsis: Eddie, a lonely war veteran, dies on his 83rd birthday when he tries to save a little girl from a falling cart. He then finds himself in the afterlife and learns that Heaven isn't actually a lush Garden of Eden at all - instead it's a place where your earthly life is explained to you by five people who changed your life in some way. Eddie then has his own life explained to him by five people. Some of these people are loved ones and some are distant strangers. 

I read The Five People You Meet in Heaven when I was on holiday in Mexico. It's a good holiday book really as it's very easy to read and is short, sweet and simple. It shouldn't take you more than a few hours to get through. The premise is interesting and at times this book is genuinely touching. The ending is sweet and I definitely believe that there are things that are meant to be in this world so I liked that message of the book.

However, although I did find The Five People You Meet in Heaven to be moving in places, I also found it to be overly-sentimental and a bit cheesy in places as well. I didn't find any of the main characters to be particularly engaging or interesting. The book is a simple read, which I stress isn't a bad thing, but to be honest I was hoping for something a bit deeper and more haunting given the subject matter. It didn't leave much of an impact on me. Also I sincerely hope that there is more to Heaven than the one that Albom describes: that the sole purpose of it is merely to explain your life to you. All in all, The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a nice read and I think it's a nice book, certainly not a bad one,. It's just that certain things about it prevented it from being the truly great one it had the potential to be.


Rating: 3/5

No comments: