Thursday, 12 July 2012

Hitchcock (2013): a Rant

I'm taking a short break from my Merlin reviews to make a complaint about this upcoming film. It's due to come out next year and is going to be about the making of Hitchcock's film Psycho; apparently it's going to focus on the relationship between Hitchcock and his wife Alma Reville during Psycho's production. It's going to star Anthony Hopkins as Hitchcock, Scarlett Johansson as Janet Leigh and James D'Arcy as Anthony Perkins. Now I don't really have a problem with Hopkins being cast as Hitchcock or Johansson being cast as Janet Leigh. I'm not a fan of Scarlett Johansson and I think she's rather overrated but I can admit that she does bear a vague resemblance to Janet Leigh. I can understand why she's been cast. Hopkins is a great actor and he does look like Hitchcock in the photo below.

Scarlett Johansson and Janet Leigh
Anthony Hopkins and Alfred Hitchcock

The casting choice that I'm peeved about is James D'Arcy as Anthony Perkins. I think James D'Arcy is a good actor. I liked him in ITV's Mansfield Park adaptation and I loved his Raoul in the Big Finish version of Phantom of the Opera. But D'Arcy looks absolutely nothing like Anthony Perkins! I look at him and I don't see any resemblance to Anthony Perkins AT ALL.

James D'Arcy


Now call me an old-fashioned purist but I really do think that if an actor is playing a real-life person that they should (at the very least) bear a passing resemblance to that person. It just makes it so much easier for the audience to take the actor's performance seriously. Instead of D'Arcy I really, really, really, really, really wish that Andrew Garfield had been cast as Anthony Perkins. Just look at the photos below! The resemblance between the two of them is almost uncanny!












As far as I'm concerned the fact that Andrew Garfield hasn't been cast as Perkins is a JOKE! Not only do they look incredibly similar, they've even got similar mannerisms and a similar acting style!  Also, Garfield is roughly the same age that Perkins was when he played Norman Bates. I just can't understand why Andrew Garfield hasn't got the role! Maybe they couldn't afford him? I suppose Garfield's wage-per-film must have gone up since Spiderman? Anyway, that's why I'm annoyed about this film. I love Psycho and Anthony Perkins' performance as Norman Bates. I've got nothing against James D'Arcy but I'm just not going to be able to take his performance as Anthony Perkins seriously. Grr!

4 comments:

LovelyAngie said...

I AGREE!

Indigo Montoya said...

Thanks! I love the 'Poor Snape' sketching on your blog BTW : )

Emmy Emm said...

I TOTALLY agree with you !!!! And I'm soooo glad to see that I'm not the only one to think like this ^^. I really can't understand the problem of Hollywood. Is it possible that Hollywood didn't notice the similarity between Andrew & Anthony ?.. :/ It's just UNBELIVABLE !!!!

Indigo Montoya said...

I know! I really don't understand what they were thinking!