Tuesday, 8 October 2013

To My Followers: Please Pick Which Musical I Should See!

Since I'm a massive theatre fan, and live just 80 minutes away from London, I go to see West End shows about three times a year. This year I've seen Wicked (for the second time) and a production of The Tempest at the Globe Theatre. In December I'll also be seeing Richard II (David Tennant's in it! Yay!) Next year I'll be seeing Miss Saigon and I'm planning on going to see Phantom of the Opera and/or Les Miserables again. I'm also seeing Tom Hiddleston, Mark Gatiss and Hadley Fraser in Coriolanus but only because they're doing a live recording that they're screening into cinemas. I couldn't get the tickets to see it at the Donmar. Oh and I'm very tempted to see Mojo. I know barely anything about the play but it's got Ben Whishaw, Colin Morgan and Rupert Grint in it! But in addition to going to the West End I also try to see any interesting shows that visit my hometown on tour. I'm seeing War Horse in a couple of weeks and in July I'll be seeing Wicked again. But in 2014 there are quite a few shows that are visiting my hometown that look interesting! The thing is, I just haven't got the money to justify seeing all of them. Anyway, that's enough preamble and I'd like some advice. Of these various shows which do you think is the best and which do you think I should see? I feel I can only justify seeing one - or maybe two - that are on this list.

Fiddler on the Roof - I still haven't seen the film yet and I only know the musical's most famous songs (If I Were a Rich Man, etc). But I do really like those songs!
Singin in the Rain - I've only seen the film once but I did love it and the West End reviews for the recent stage production were excellent. But in my scepticism I wonder if it will be as good?
Evita - It's been over 10 years since I last saw the film adaptation but I've been listening to the music on YouTube a lot lately and I really love a lot of the songs from it (Rainbow High, Don't Cry for Me Argentina, etc) The reviews that I've read for this current production have been really good. The story seems like a less interesting Elisabeth to me but I'm still intrigued. 
Cats - This musical seems to be one of those musicals that people either love or hate. From what I've gathered it doesn't seem to have much of a plot but people still rave about the music, the dancing and the general spectacle of it.

7 comments:

Miss Dashwood said...

I would HIGHLY recommend Fiddler on the Roof. If it were me, I'd totally go see that. The film is admittedly better than the stage musical (gasp, did I just say that????? yep, it's one of the few!) but the stage version is gorgeous. Evita also sounds interesting. I'd vote for either of those. :D

Ruby Danderfluff said...

Ok, I'm fighting some serious envy here... but I'll try to be good.

Ben Wishaw AND Tom Hiddleston AND Mark Gatiss AND Hadley Fraser AND David Tennant?? Good grief.

Ok, sorry...

I can't really say too much here, (haven't actually seen the others yet, horrible, I know), but Cats is definitely a much more abstract piece than other ALW stuffs. It's really interesting to see what ALW was able to do with the constraints he worked under. T.S. Eliot's family was very firm about NOT altering the original lyrics from the poems the musical is based on, like, practically at all. So what he *did* accomplish with that kind of limitation musically is interesting to see.

Definitely a show, though. But even though the poetry in combination with a singing and dancing cast in full body suits and fur leg warmers has potential to be bizarrely fun, you're completely right about a lack of definitive story to it.

But now I'm just waxing on about Cats, and you already know all of this. My bad.

Just going from your description, though, seems to me you're leaning towards enjoying Fiddler on the Roof or Evita more....

(the Fiddler on the Roof movie is actually on YouTube right now, wouldn't hurt to give it a try, I suppose) =)

Good luck in deciding! You *will* post a review of whatever you see, yes? ;)

Miss Melody Muffin said...

You live that close to London??!!!!!! Awesome!! It is one of my dreams to see POTO and Les Mis in the West End, if I ever make it to England.

Anyway, wow!!!! Your list of upcoming plays/musicals you're going to see is very impressive. I'm especially interested in the Shakespeare plays. (Tom and Hadley in the same play!!! And DT!!) Ooh, and War Horse!!!! I'd love to see that live sometime.

Like Amy, I recommend Fiddler on the Roof or Evita. I've only heard a couple songs from FotR so far, but it is such a classic. I've read the plot of Evita, and heard some of the songs, and I thought it was a very intriguing story.

Hannah said...

Thanks for the feedback guys! I've decided that I'm going to see Evita now because my mom is interested in seeing it too. But I think I'd like to see Fiddler on the Roof as well. I'm going to watch the movie on YouTube (thanks Ruby!) and if I like it I'll probably see the stage version.

Miss Dashwood - Wow, the film version of FotR is better than the stage version! What do you prefer about the film?

Ruby - I know, I'm so glad that I'm British : ) But both Richard II & Coriolanus are being screened internationally. Richard II is being shown on the 13th of November and Coriolanus on the 14th of January. Maybe there'll be a screening near you? Here are the links if you want to check them out:

https://onscreen.rsc.org.uk/richard-ii/default.aspx

http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk/productions/ntlout5-coriolanus

And as for Cats, I believe there's a DVD of it so I'll probably check that out at some point.

Melody - As I'm British I don't feel I do live THAT close to London myself. But then I've discovered that Brits and Americans have very different ideas of what constitutes a long distance! For example: anything more than a 4 hour drive would seem like a really long journey to me but I know that to Americans this journey time would seem like nothing! It's funny how the size of your country can affect how you perceive distances.

I'm really looking forward to War Horse. I've seen the film and I really enjoyed that but everyone seems to think that the play is better. And I'd check out the links I've given to Ruby because there might be showings of Richard II & Coriolanus that are near you : )

Ruby Danderfluff said...

Oh wow! I had heard briefly of Coriolanus being sceened in the states; had no idea about Richard II, though. Definitely a great play, I'll have to check that out.

Also.. methinks Cats is on the you toob as well. (pathetic that I know all this...) =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3wd7s_C5GU

Thanks for the info!

Hamlette said...

I see you've decided on Evita, and I applaud you! I saw Cats and it was... not bad. But Evita live should be splendid!

Hannah said...

Ruby - Thanks for the link!

Hamlette - Yes I'm really looking forward to Evita now. I feel I've made the right choice : )