Monday, 20 January 2014

'11 Things About Me' Tag

My blogger friend Mizzie-Me over at Music & My Mind has done a tag which I'm now passing on. Basically you write 11 random things about yourself then answer 11 questions from the person you got the tag from. You then write down 11 questions for someone else to answer. I haven't tagged anyone specific for my questions, anyone is welcome to answer them.

11 Things About Me

1. I love cemeteries. I find them amazingly peaceful and I love walking in them. One of my favourite places in Paris is the Pere Lachaise cemetery. It's really old and there are crypts and tombs everywhere. It's awesome! :D

2. My main motive for learning French was simply because I thought it would be really cool to read Victor Hugo's Les Miserables in its original language. But I really love the language now and I'd like to learn others. I'm also interested in studying German, Latin, Spanish/Italian, Welsh and Ancient Greek.

3. I'm from Birmingham, England but I don't have the "Brummie" accent. In my hometown we also have a special word for a forward roll. We call it a "gambole". Don't ask me where the word comes from because I have no idea! Also, a person in Britain would tend to call their mother their "mum" (or "mam" in certain parts of the north) but where I'm from we call our mothers "mom" like Americans would do.

4. I'm not a morning person. I never have been and I never will be.

5. My favourite English monarchs are Elizabeth I, Charles II and Queen Victoria.

6. Roald Dahl was the first author I ever loved.

7. I think that Canadians are the nicest people on earth. I've never spoken to a Canadian that I didn't like. Having said that I haven't met Justin Bieber...

8. The Eurovision Song Contest is the funniest and most entertaining television event of the year for me, the thing that makes me most proud to be a European! :D These videos should give people from the rest of the world a very good idea of why it's so hilarious!

Romania - It's My Life.
How can you not love a Romanian eunuch vampire?!


Greece - Alcohol is Free.
Now I think I understand why Greece ended up in national debt...


9. I wouldn't describe myself as a very arty person but certain artists that I love are J.W. Turner, Claude Monet, Vincent Van Gogh, Camille Pissarro and Sandro Boticelli.

10. I think everyone should watch Horrible Histories. It was a BBC children's sketch show that was aimed at teaching kids history but it was so subversive and hilarious that it soon picked up a big adult following as well. It had some brilliant songs in it too! Sadly the show has now finished and I really miss it. Here are just two examples of its hilarity. You'll never guess what films they're parodying! :D





11. The celebrity males that I'm finding most attractive at the moment are Tom Hiddleston, Richard Armitage, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Mison and Lee Pace.

And now for Mizzie's questions...

1. What's the most terrible book you've ever read?
Well, I tried to read Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code but I was immediately put off by the, er, less than sparkling prose. A book that I've hated and finished is Ian McEwan's Atonement. I wouldn't call it the most terrible book I've ever read but it was certainly the most disappointing. I was expecting it to be beautiful, profound and emotional but it turned out to one of the most boring books I've ever read! It was dull, dull, dull! If you read the book and loved it then please forgive me.

2. If you can remember any dreams you've had, what's your best one?
The best dream I've ever had is also my most frustrating one. I was in my school and I was following a teacher down a corridor. She then went down a secret passage so in my dream I got all excited and was about to do down the passage myself - and then I woke up! Argh!

3. What do you want to be doing 15 years from now?
In 15 years time I'll be 42. Yikes! Well, that all depends on whether or not I have kids because if I did then I wouldn't want to have a full-time job. I'd only consider part-time work. Obviously some mothers have no choice and have to work full-time but I'd prefer not to. At the moment I'm working towards becoming a qualified librarian so unless I end up hating it in 15 years time I might very well still be doing that. I'd also like to be living and working in London.

4. Do you have paintings or posters on your wall?
No.

5. What is your favourite love song?
This was by far the toughest question but I managed to narrow it down to two.

The Smiths - There is a Light That Never Goes Out. 
The Smiths are my favourite band ever.


The Sundays - Wild Horses. 
The original is by The Rolling Stones and whilst I do love their version I prefer this one. I like the singer's voice more and it was used very, very effectively in a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode! Heck, I was never a Buffy/Angel shipper and even I cried!


6. Are you going to watch this year's Academy Awards, or otherwise follow any news related to them?
This year, probably not. All of the films that I really loved in 2013 are in the technical categories. Usually there's always at least one or two of the nominated films that I'll be really rooting for but this year there aren't any at all! The only "Best Picture" nominee that I've seen is American Hustle and whilst that film was good it wasn't THAT good! I do really want to see 12 Years a Slave but I'm not sure when I will. It looks amazing but very harrowing. It looks one of those films that I'd need to be in the right mood for like Schindler's List. But I am really rooting for Let It Go to win the "Best Original Song" and I'd love for Michael Fassbender to win the Best Supporting Actor award just because I loved him in X Men: First Class and Jane Eyre. And I'd love for someone who isn't Meryl Streep to win the Best Actress award.

7. Would you ever sing/have you ever sung in a karaoke bar?
Yes. Yes I have. Now let's never speak of it again.

8. Can you touch type? (type without looking at the keyboard)
Of ciyesw I can touch tuoe. Sre youcraxy. Does that answer yiyr question:

9. What colours do you have in your wardrobe?
Er, let me see. *goes off to have a look* Lots of greens and blues and reds and blacks and a bit of white.

10. Do you vote? (If you're old enough to vote)
Yes and I support the Labour Party.

11. What do you do if you find it hard to sleep? 
Use my tumblr app on my phone and then realise that I could do something much more sensible like counting my breaths.

And now for my questions:

1. If you're a Harry Potter fan which Hogwarts house would you most like to be in as opposed to the house that you think you'd be put in?
2. What are your favourite TV shows?
3. If you could be any animal (besides a human) which animal would you pick and why?
4. What do you usually eat for breakfast?
5. Name just five of your favourite books.
6. What's your favourite desert?
7. Who is your least favourite fictional heroine?
8. Are you a dog or cat person?
9. If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you most like to go to?
10. What is your spending vice? For me it's theatre tickets and TV boxsets.
11. Are you good at coming up with tag questions? I'm awful at it. It takes me ages to think of any!

8 comments:

Mizzie-Me said...

Les Misérables est très beau en français :) And now that I think of it, Roald Dahl's Matilda was my first favourite book as a child!

Hamlette said...

I love cemeteries too! My hubby and I love to explore old ones -- we call it "graveyarding." There was a huge cemetery near our apartment when my son was a baby, and I used to take him on walks in the stroller there all the time. Which sounds creepy, but it was full of joggers and the only place with lots of open space near us.

I took a year of German in college just so I could understand the German soldiers in my favorite TV show. And I met my husband in that class -- bonus!

You have no paintings or posters? I would go mad.

I'm considering answering your questions cuz they're way fun. We'll see if I get the chance!

Hannah said...

Mizzie-Me - I think 'Matilda' and 'The Fantastic Mr Fox' are my favourite Roald Dahl books. My favourite RD adaptation is 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' film. RD hated it but I really can't understand why and Gene Wilder is wonderful in it!

Hamlette - I don't think it's creepy about you taking your kids to the cemetery. And your story about meeting your husband is really sweet :)

janefan said...

Hello! So I've just stumbled upon your blog while searching for a place to watch the first episode of Emma (2009) (I just caught the tail end of it on tv and of course they aren't showing it again. Urgh!). I've found we have very similar tastes, so I thought I'd say hello and warn you that you might have a lot of posts from me in the next few days. Few things are nicer than people confirming your opinions, right?

This post seemed like a good place to introduce myself and give you an idea of your newfound cyber stalker (j/k). So about me: female, 27, from Arizona, love the classics (books and movies), and apparently in need of discussing such classics with someone. I love Disney, which it seems you do too. I also love cemeteries, Les Miz, Richard Amitage, Tom Mison, Lee Pace (& J.J. Field who imo is the British version of Pace). I dislike Beiber, The DaVinci Code and Atonement (like you said, sooo boring).

So anyway, there is my succinct-as-possible "hello" and introduction. I look forward to our discussions!

Hannah said...

You'll make lots of comments in the next few days?! Yay! Go nuts! And, yes, it is great to have people confirming your opinion :)

Ooh, I love Emma 2009! It's my favourite Emma adaptation :) I'm fairly certain it should be on YouTube if you want to have a watch.

Yep, it looks like we have lots in common. JJ Field as the British Lee Pace... that's interesting. I've never considered that before. Don't you think that Lee Pace would make a great Mr Darcy though? He's got the right look for sure and he can do an English accent.

Oh, finally! Someone else who doesn't like 'Atonement' either! I just couldn't believe how boring it was! The worst part for me was the Dunkirk section. I have no idea how McEwan managed to make THAT boring but somehow he managed it!

Looking forward to our discussions as well, Janefan :) Is there another name I can call you if you don't mind? I just feel a bit weird calling you Janefan.

Geneva said...

Okay, I'll change my sign name from Janefan to Geneva (I'm new to blogger so it's no biggie to change). It'll make posting easier and I have no preference anyway.

Lee Pace can do anything! His show, Pushing Daisies, was cancelled way too soon.

I almost can't even remember the Dunkirk section because I've blocked out most of the book-- and I was probably half asleep while reading it. I stupidly even read other McEwan books because so many of them are on the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list. Why? Why do I do this to myself?

Hannah said...

Geneva's a lovely name :) I loved Pushing Daisies when it was on TV but I haven't rewatched it in years. I need to remedy this!

Geneva said...

Thank you! It's a family name so I'm quite fond of it. Ditto on Pushing Daisies. I think the reason I haven't rewatched it is because the ending was so disappointing. They didn't have time to wrap up their story lines and although I like how it's an unconventional relationship I was really hoping they would come up with a way for them to touch. Maybe they could accidentally touch and they find out that since she has been brought back to life for so long his power no longer works on her. The rest of the show is still beautiful, though.