Monday, 31 March 2014

'Allegiant' by Veronica Roth (2013)

Synopsis: Allegiant is the third and final book of the Divergent series. The faction-based society that Tris grew up with has been overthrown and it's now the factionless that are in control of Chicago. The self-appointed factionless leader, Evelyn Eaton, soon begins to act like a dictator and the tension between the factionless and the former factions begins to escalate. Tris and Tobias then decide to team up with a group of rebels called the Allegiant, who are on a mission to escape into the outside world and ultimately restore Chicago to the way it was. Once they manage to leave the city Tris finally finds out what lies beyond the city walls and learns some shocking discoveries. She then finds herself having to make a difficult decision.


I'm not a fan of the Divergent series and I can't ever see myself reading these books again. I don't even hate this series. I just feel completely apathetic towards these books. In hindsight I think I was being far too generous in giving Divergent a 4/5 rating. Yes, it was quite thrilling and entertaining in places but even that book had more than its fair share of flaws! Then I read Insurgent and found that book to be extremely boring and uneventful. The only reason why I felt I had to read Allegiant is because I hate to leave a series unfinished.

I'm not going to write an in-depth review of this book because I really don't think there's very much I can say. I don't even hate this book enough to write a scathing rant. You might think that with Tris and Tobias escaping from Chicago and going off into the outside world that this book would be the most exciting and suspenseful book of the series but no. There is some action every now and again but apart from that the plot is incredibly boring and repetitive. I was highly tempted to give up on Allegiant and I only managed to persevere with it by skim-reading. I lost all interest in its story and the characters.

Another problem that I have with Allegiant is its narrative mode. It's the only book in the series to be told from both the perspectives of Tris and Tobias but their narrative voices sound exactly the same! Veronica Roth doesn't even seem to be making any attempt to make their voices sound different. Tris and Tobias's narrative voices are completely indistinguishable from each other and there were quite a few times when I lost track of who was supposed to be narrating.

The only thing that I liked about Allegiant was its controversial ending. MAJOR SPOILER (highlight to read): I find Roth's decision to kill off Tris impressively brave and gutsy. If I'd been a bigger fan of Tris I'm sure I would have been quite moved by it. As I'm not really a fan of her character though her death didn't really leave any kind of an impact on me. However, because of its ending I do think that Allegiant is a teeny tiny bit better than Insurgent.  

Rating: 2/5

P.S. Despite my extreme apathy towards the Divergent series I'm still planning to see the Divergent film. I don't think Kate Winslet is capable of giving a bad performance and I'm really keen to see Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort act on screen together because they're both starring in the adaptation of The Fault in Our Stars.

No comments: