Monday, 28 April 2014

The BBC Book List

The BBC believes that most people will have read only 6 of the 100 books here. How do your reading habits stack up?
Note: the books I've read are in bold.

  1. Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
  2. The Lord of the Rings – JRR Tolkien
  3. Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte
  4. Harry Potter series – JK Rowling (all)
  5. To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
  6. The Bible
  7. Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte
  8. 1984 – George Orwell
  9. His Dark Materials – Philip Pullman (I've read the first two)
  10. Great Expectations – Charles Dickens
  11. Little Women – Louisa M Alcott
  12. Tess of the D’Urbervilles – Thomas Hardy
  13. Catch 22 – Joseph Heller
  14. Complete Works of Shakespeare – William Shakespeare (I think I've read about a dozen of Shakespeare's plays)
  15. Rebecca – Daphne Du Maurier
  16. The Hobbit – JRR Tolkien
  17. Birdsong – Sebastian Faulks
  18. Catcher in the Rye – JD Salinger
  19. The Time Traveller’s Wife – Audrey Niffenegger
  20. Middlemarch – George Eliot
  21. Gone With The Wind – Margaret Mitchell
  22. The Great Gatsby – F Scott Fitzgerald
  23. Bleak House – Charles Dickens
  24. War and Peace – Leo Tolstoy
  25. The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams
  26. Brideshead Revisited – Evelyn Waugh
  27. Crime and Punishment – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  28. Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck
  29. Alice in Wonderland – Lewis Carroll
  30. The Wind in the Willows – Kenneth Grahame
  31. Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy
  32. David Copperfield – Charles Dickens
  33. Chronicles of Narnia – CS Lewis
  34. Emma – Jane Austen
  35. Persuasion – Jane Austen
  36. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe – CS Lewis
  37. The Kite Runner – Khaled Hosseini
  38. Captain Corelli’s Mandolin – Louis De Berniere
  39. Memoirs of a Geisha – Arthur Golden
  40. Winnie the Pooh – AA Milne
  41. Animal Farm – George Orwell
  42. The Da Vinci Code – Dan Brown
  43. One Hundred Years of Solitude – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  44. A Prayer for Owen Meaney – John Irving
  45. The Woman in White – Wilkie Collins
  46. Anne of Green Gables – LM Montgomery
  47. Far From The Madding Crowd – Thomas Hardy
  48. The Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood
  49. Lord of the Flies – William Golding
  50. Atonement – Ian McEwan
  51. Life of Pi – Yann Martel
  52. Dune – Frank Herbert
  53. Cold Comfort Farm – Stella Gibbons
  54. Sense and Sensibility – Jane Austen
  55. A Suitable Boy – Vikram Seth
  56. The Shadow of the Wind – Carlos Ruiz Zafon
  57. A Tale Of Two Cities – Charles Dickens
  58. Brave New World – Aldous Huxley
  59. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time – Mark Haddon
  60. Love In The Time Of Cholera – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  61. Of Mice and Men – John Steinbeck
  62. Lolita – Vladimir Nabokov
  63. The Secret History – Donna Tartt
  64. The Lovely Bones – Alice Sebold
  65. The Count of Monte Cristo – Alexandre Dumas
  66. On The Road – Jack Kerouac
  67. Jude the Obscure – Thomas Hardy
  68. Bridget Jones’s Diary – Helen Fielding
  69. Midnight’s Children – Salman Rushdie
  70. Moby Dick – Herman Melville
  71. Oliver Twist – Charles Dickens
  72. Dracula – Bram Stoker
  73. The Secret Garden – Frances Hodgson Burnett
  74. Notes From A Small Island – Bill Bryson
  75. Ulysses – James Joyce
  76. The Bell Jar – Sylvia Plath
  77. Swallows and Amazons – Arthur Ransome
  78. Germinal – Emile Zola
  79. Vanity Fair – William Makepeace Thackeray
  80. Possession – AS Byatt
  81. A Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens
  82. Cloud Atlas – David Mitchell
  83. The Colour Purple – Alice Walker
  84. The Remains of the Day – Kazuo Ishiguro
  85. Madame Bovary – Gustave Flaubert
  86. A Fine Balance – Rohinton Mistry
  87. Charlotte’s Web – EB White
  88. The Five People You Meet In Heaven – Mitch Albom
  89. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  90. The Faraway Tree Collection – Enid Blyton (Probably. I read loads of Enid Blyton as a child)
  91. Heart of Darkness – Joseph Conrad
  92. The Little Prince – Antoine De Saint-Exupery
  93. The Wasp Factory – Iain Banks
  94. Watership Down – Richard Adams
  95. A Confederacy of Dunces – John Kennedy Toole
  96. A Town Like Alice – Nevil Shute
  97. The Three Musketeers – Alexandre Dumas
  98. Hamlet – William Shakespeare
  99. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – Roald Dahl
  100. Les Miserables – Victor Hugo

My total is 55 which isn't too shabby :D And I plan on reading at least 20 of the other books on this list too.

15 comments:

samara said...

Well you've definitely got my 29 beat ;)

And now, of course, I wish we could sit down in person over a cuppa so I could quiz you on what you thought of these books.

For now, I will just say I was so happy that you've read Gone with the Wind - did you enjoy it? I read it when I was 13 and have had an inexplicable affinity for it ever since! For the longest time, when people told me they loved Wuthering Heights, I couldn't understand it. Then 1 day I realized, "Oooh, it's their Gone with the Wind." :)

Mizzie-Me said...

I did this a while ago, my score was 28 if I remember right :)

Mònica said...

I've only read 17 of these, and am currently powering through Emma. Suddenly I feel so illiterate. XD

Hannah said...

Samara - Well I didn't want to point that out ;)

Heehee! Quiz me away. Ask me whatever. I honestly won't mind! I'll even put the virtual kettle on if you want. I did really like Gone with the Wind. I read that one about five or six years ago so my memories of it are a bit vague now but I definitely enjoyed it. I wouldn't put it down as one of my all-time favourites but I still thought that it was a great book and I enjoyed learning more about the American Civil War. American history doesn't tend to get taught in British schools although my brother got to study the Civil Rights Movement.

I know a lot of people who don't like Wuthering Heights but I love it. I get the impression that a lot of people dislike that book because they've gone into it with the idea that it's supposed to be some beautiful romance or something and, yeah, if you think the book's going to be like that then you'll probably hate it. I think I love Wuthering Heights for the reason that others don't though. I love it because of all of the descriptions of the Moors and because it's so powerful and gothic and psychological. And because Heathcliff fascinates me. I don't LIKE him at all but he's so intriguing. If I ever get my way they'll make a GOOD adaptation of the book and they'll get Aidan Turner to play Heathcliff. He looks so much like my mental picture of Heathcliff that it isn't even funny. Wuthering Heights isn't my favourite Bronte novel though. I prefer Jane Eyre and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

Mizzie - Oh really? I don't remember you putting it on your blog but that's a really great result :)

Monica - Well, not everyone can be as well-read as me :D Seriously though 17 isn't at all bad! And to be fair this list mostly consists of classic novels and I happen to have read quite a lot of those. I'm sue you've read lots of books that I haven't!

Mizzie-Me said...

I've GOT to ask... have you read the ENTIRE Bible?? :O I don't think I know anyone who would have accomplished that!

Hannah said...

The entire Bible? Weeeelll... to be honest no but I thought it might look fairly odd if I call myself a Christian but don't have the Bible on my "Read" list :D

I actually know quite a few people who've read the entire Bible but then they've been Christians for pretty much their whole lives and I only became a Christian about 4 or 5 years ago. I've read the Gospel books of the Bible (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) which are the most important parts because they deal with the life of Jesus. I've read most of the New Testament. I think I've read about half of the Old Testament. There are some books in the Old Testament that I'm kind of hesitant to read (Leviticus, Deuteronomy) because they have all of these arcane Jewish customs that no longer apply to today and I know I'll struggle with them. I know I'll have to read those books at some point but I'm saving them for when it feels right you know?

Mizzie-Me said...

That's quite impressive! My Bible knowledge is much, much narrower and what little I have comes mainly from the parts we had to learn at school – the only time I can recall reading the Bible at home was when I was trying to sleep but not feeling tired at all, and came up with the bizarre idea of reading one of those "this man begot that man begot another man etc" parts from the Old Testament xD

Hamlette said...

You've got my 43 beat!

I've read the whole Bible through once, and the New Testament 7 times. My husband has read the whole Bible through six times (even those boring name lists in the OT), which makes me feel like a slacker.

Hannah said...

Wow, six times! Your husband sounds hardcore! :D

Hamlette said...

Lol! Maybe dedicated is a better word? He lived in Ukraine for six years and didn't have access to libraries and fiction like I did, maybe that's why he's read it much more often than I have?

Hannah said...

Maybe but I thought "hardcore" sounded cooler :) Does your husband speak Russian? I read somewhere that most people in Ukraine speak Russian rather than Ukrainian, which is kind of like the fact that most of the Welsh have English as their first language.

Hamlette said...

He can read Ukrainian and speak it a little still, but he left when he went to college and hasn't been back for a visit in a decade, so he's lost a lot of what he knew.

But his father, who is a missionary in Ukraine, speaks both Russian and Ukrainian. Some Ukrainians do speak both, and most probably understand Russian, since they were under Russian control for so long and still deal a lot with them.

Sarah said...

I only stacked up 36. Suddenly I don't think that I've read most of the classics. :)

Ruby Danderfluff said...

Haha, Yikes! Only thirteen for me, but this has been very inspiring for additions to my Classics Club list! Weird how they list The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe as a separate item from The Chronicles of Narnia. Same thing for Hamlet and The Complete Works of Shakespeare. Not sure what to think of that, BBC.

Hannah said...

Sarah - 36 is still a lot! :)

Ruby - Apparently this list started off as a poll. People were asked to vote for the "Books That They Couldn't Live Without". The BBC got a hold of it and came up with the idea that most people would have only read 6 of them. And I'm glad that this has been a good inspiration for you :)