Thursday, 10 July 2014

The Answer Post! (Part One)

Yay! I feel so happy with the amount and quality of the questions that I received in my "Ask My Anything!" post. You girls really are the greatest and thank you so much! :) I'm definitely going to do this again next year. I'm actually thinking of doing it twice a year. It's a good way of letting you all know more about myself without writing really deep, introspective posts. Anyway, in today's post, Monica, Sarah and Hamlette's questions will be answered. I'm aiming to answer Mizzie and Samara's questions by Wednesday although if anyone wants to ask any more questions to ask before then I'll try to answer them as well. And now I'll begin...

Monica of Spilled Ink asked:

Who's your favourite singer/actor?
Oh, wow! There are so many singers and actors that I love! I could never name just one! I'll name several so you can get an idea of my taste.

"Popular" singers that I love:
  • Jeff Buckley
  • Florence Welch 
  • Adele 
  • Kate Bush 
  • Ellie Goulding 
  • Bono 
  • Sam Cooke.

Christian Worship singers that I love:
  • Kim Walker-Smith
  • Phil Wickham
  • Tim Hughes
  • Chris Tomlin

Musical Theatre singers that I love
  • Lea Salonga
  • Sierra Boggess 
  • Kristin Chenoweth 
  • Aaron Tveit 
  • Ramin Karimloo 
  • Hadley Fraser 
  • Samantha Barks 
  • Laura Michelle Kelly

Some Actors/Actresses that I love:
  • Benedict Cumberbatch
  • Tom Hiddleston 
  • Romola Garai 
  • Carey Mulligan
  • Richard Armitage
  • Anne Hathaway 
  • Leonardo DiCaprio
  • Christian Bale
  • Amy Adams
  • Johnny Depp 
  • Emily Blunt 
  • Lee Pace
  • Audrey Hepburn 
  • Jennifer Lawrence
  • Shailene Woodley (after seeing her performance in The Fault in Our Stars I had to include her!)
  • Ansel Elgort (again, this is after seeing his performance in The Fault in Our Stars)
Sorry, there are so many actors that I love!

Is there an instrument you'd like to play?
Yes. The piano, the violin, the guitar and the cello. I think it's too late for me to learn them now but if I ever have kids I'm definitely making sure that they learn some musical instruments. Living vicariously through my kids and all that.

What would your dream bedroom look like?
It would be bright and colourful, big but cosy, and slightly old-fashioned. There would be a painted walls and wallpaper combination. There would be a window seat. There would be an ensuite bathroom and an ensuite dressing room. And I'd have a slide that would take me down to a swimming pool :)

What's your favourite vegetable? ;)
Parsnips!

Sarah of How to Watch a Movie asked:

If you could live in any fictional world, which would you chose?
Narnia, Hogwarts, and certain parts of Middle-earth. They're the three major fantasy worlds of my childhood and will forever have their own special places in my heart :)

Narnia

Hogwarts

Middle-earth (or, if you want to be technical, New Zealand)

Hamlette of Hamlette's Soliloquy and The Edge of the Precipice asked:

What INFJ fictional characters do you especially relate to?
This was a very thought-provoking question! There are many characters that I can relate to who aren't INFJs. Hermione Granger is an ISTJ, Belle of the Disney film and Once Upon a Time is an INFP, Hamlet is an INTJ, etc. But after quite a bit of thought I settled on two INFJ characters...

1. Elizabeth Bennet - Pride and Prejudice
Elizabeth is usually considered to be an INFJ, or sometimes an ENFP. I've always found Elizabeth relatable but I used to think that she was an extrovert: because she's much more outspoken and expressive than Darcy and Jane and also because she seems so confident in social situations. But even though Elizabeth isn't an obvious introvert she does actually spend most of her time by herself. She often goes out walking by herself as you'll see from this gorgeous shot from the 2005 movie. Jane and Charlotte are her only close friends. And even on those occasions when Elizabeth is at social gatherings she's quietly talking to one person or reading or playing the piano. She won't go out of her way to talk to everyone. I can relate to Elizabeth in so many ways. Okay so I'm nowhere near as witty as she is. I'm nowhere near as self-confident in social situations. I'm shyer/more socially awkward than your average INFJ so, in that sense, I do have a bit more in common with Darcy there (who is always typed as an INTJ). But in all other respects I truly connect with Elizabeth. She's very thoughtful, sensitive and serious - I'm like that - but she does have a lively, playful side - I'm like that when I'm with my family and closest friends. She's polite and kind but she's extremely passionate and has firm opinions and convictions. I'm the same. She's very independent and isn't desperate for a husband but she's actually quite the romantic. I'm the same. She can be bold and direct and I'm like that as well when the mood takes me. For a long time I didn't think I was like that at all but one of my closest friends told me otherwise and now I think she's right. Elizabeth makes judgements based on her gut feelings and is very intuitive. Her judgements about Darcy and Wickham were wrong of course but most of her assumptions about people are right. I'm like that as well. I get very strong vibes about people and I can usually tell within minutes - sometimes seconds! - whether I'm going to like a person or not. I also share Elizabeth's faults. I can be extremely stubborn and I always think that I'm in the right. I can be really bad at holding grudges. Elizabeth is definitely the Austen heroine that I find the most relatable although I do think that there's a fair bit of Marianne Dashwood in me as well (I certainly share Marianne's melodramatic tendencies!)

2. Jay Gatsby - The Great Gatsby
Gatsby is sometimes typed as an extrovert as well, because he throws lavish parties and is so charming and charismatic. But I don't think Gatsby is an extrovert at all. The only reason why Gatsby hosts parties is because he's hoping that Daisy will turn up at one of them. And although Gatsby is charming and charismatic I believe that this is mostly down to him putting up a warm front. Gatsby is far from being the centre of attention at his parties, most of his guests don't have a clue what he looks like! And Nick becomes Gatsby's one and only true friend. I don't find Gatsby as relatable as Elizabeth but I can still identify with him to a great extent. He's a sensitive, emotional guy and I'm sensitive and emotional. He's a planner, he's always thinking about the future, and he has a keen vision for his life. I can relate to that: I'm always making plans and I get very upset when they don't work out. He's a dreamer, he's a romantic, he's hopeful about the future and yet he still suffers from bouts of depression. Yep, I might not like it but that's me!

Thanks for giving me more reasons to love Pride and Prejudice and The Great Gatsby, Hamlette :)

If you could guest-star on any current TV show, which would you choose, and who would you play? (You could even replace a regular, but an original character might be more fun.)
If I could guest-star as a character in a current TV show I'd replace Alex Kingston's role as River Song from Doctor Who. I'd be ecstatic if I was cast as any Doctor Who companion but River seems like such a fun character to play and I'd get to do scenes with both the 10th and the 11th Doctors. And hopefully the 12th Doctor too!

You're a librarian. Do you hate or love the song "Marian the Librarian?"
*Marian the Librarian? I've never heard of it! Oh please don't let it be some really famous song that I've never heard of! Ok, let me YouTube it. Ah, so it's from The Music Man then? That will explain why I've never heard of it. I don't know that musical. Oh great, the librarian's wearing some ridiculously frumpy outfit! Why do people think librarians aren't well-dressed?! I think my sense of fashion is really good! Hey... this song isn't all that bad! It's actually really nice! He totally digs this librarian! He's not singing about how she needs to ditch the glasses or her outfit to be attractive. He likes how she is. Awesome!*

I love it!

6 comments:

Evie Brandon said...

Heyy I do hope it's not too late to ask a couple of questions !

Have you seen Downton Abbey?

If so who is your favourite Character?

Who is your favourite and Least Fav Harry Potter Actor and Actress?

I love your blog!

Awesome! I love all of the musical theatre singers too. Isn't Hadley and Ramin awesome?!

Yes! I would totally love to guest star in Doctor Who too!

Sorry if I creeped you out with my first comment on your blog! :)

~Evie Brandon
http://ramblingsfromaustralia.blogspot.com.au/

Sarah said...

Fun post, I enjoyed reading all your answers! Your list of favorite actors is strikingly similar to mine. :D And isn't so awesome that with New Zealand, dreams of living in Middle-Earth are actually possible?

bookwormans said...

Ahh!! You've never seen The Music Man?!? My family watches it every 4th of July (American Independence Day), and the "76 Trombones" song is often played at a lot of 4th of July celebrations. It's lots of fun, and it both celebrates and makes fun of small town American culture.

It is about a slick con man who shows up in a small Iowa town and tries to sell the idea of creating a boy's band and having the parents pay him to teach the kids. He, of course, has no idea how to play an instrument himself and plans to skip town as soon as he collects the money. The local librarian sees right through his scheme and he has to figure out how to sweet talk her into not revealing his intentions.

There are so many funny moments and the music will certainly get stuck in your head (in a good way). It's just an all around classic. I highly recommend you see the whole thing!

It became news again here in the States when Hugh Jackman, T. I., and L. L. Cool J performed a rap version of the opening song for this year's Tony Award (see it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8EVoJcm8pA).

Hamlette said...

I'm glad you like the song! It amuses me greatly. Especially the bit about the marbles.

And really? People think Gatsby is an extrovert? No way, old sport! Very introverted, that one.

Mònica said...

I love your answers!
And I apologize for the lame comment. XD

Hannah said...

Evie
Hi! I always love to see a new face around here and thanks for the compliment on my blog. It means a lot :) And you're from Australia! As far as I know I don't have any other Australian followers so woo, international appreciation :D I know this is a bit of a long shot but you're not from Melbourne are you? I've got some distant cousins who live there. Anyway, I've almost answered your questions and I should have my post finished in the next hour or so. And no, you didn't creep me out :D

Sarah
Well I knew you had excellent taste :D And gah, I know, tell me about it. I want to go to New Zealand so badly it hurts.

Bookwormans
Oh wow! Thank you so much for showing me that Tony Awards clip! I loved it! *sigh* You would never get something like that at the Oliviers. I will be trying to get a hold of The Music Man now :)

Hamlette
Exactly! It's all a front! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this :)

Monica
Thank you!

Hehe, I'm the same. Sometimes I come across blog posts that I love but I can't think of anything to reply with other than "Yeah, I enjoyed that" :)