Wednesday, 16 July 2014

The Answer Post! (Part Two)

And now I've come to my second and final Answer Post :) Mizzie, Samara and Evie's questions will be answered in this one. Again, a big thank you to everyone who commented and submitted questions. I had a lot fun answering them! They were all so good! I hope that you all got to know me better and I hope that I can continue to get to know all of you better :)

Mizzie-Me of Music and My Mind asked:

Have you seen other tv/film adaptations of Sherlock Holmes besides BBC Sherlock, Elementary and the Ritchie films? If you have, what did you think about them?
Yes, I've also seen Disney's Basil the Great Mouse Detective. I love it! It was one of my favourite Disney films when I was growing up and it would have been my introduction to Sherlock Holmes! It's such a fun film and it's incredibly underrated. It's about a mouse called Basil who is Sherlock Holmes' rodent counterpart. Basil isn't technically Sherlock Holmes but he's definitely more Sherlock Holmes than some of the portrayals that share the name. Or let me put it this way: Basil is definitely more Benedict Cumberbatch than Robert Downey Jr or Jonny Lee Miller. Also, Vincent Price plays the villain! I'm planning to do a more in-depth review of TGM later this year. Then, when I've finally read all of the Arthur Conan Doyle stories, I want to start watching the ITV Granada programme.

If you could meet one historical person, who would you choose?
I'd want to meet Jesus but that's kind of an obvious answer when you're a Christian. There are lots of other historical figures I'd love to meet. Most of my favourite writers are dead after all. Then there's Martin Luther King, King Arthur (if he really did exist), Nelson Mandela, Audrey Hepburn, King Ludwig of Bavaria and his cousin the Empress Elisabeth of Austria. Also, Prince Rupert of the Rhine who has been my big historical crush for years :D I've just started reading a biography about him by Charles Spencer - Princess Diana's brother - and it's fascinating stuff. Aside from being famously good-looking he had a brilliant military career, spoke several languages, and was passionate about the arts and sciences. He was an explorer, an inventor, and was - quite literally! - a Pirate Prince. Ladies allow me to let me repeat that for emphasis, a Pirate Prince! I genuinely can't believe that there hasn't been a biopic about his life!

In your opinion, what is the ONE musical that everyone should see (on stage), even if they're not that into musicals?
Mycroft Holmes would despise me but I'm going to follow my heart and say Les Miserables. It is my favourite after all :)

What is the oldest movie you've ever seen? (and of course, when was it made?)
That would be the silent movie adaptation of The Phantom of the Opera which was made in 1925. It's an excellent film but it's not my favourite Phantom adaptation. I prefer the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical and the 1990 miniseries. *I think you'd really like the 1990 version, Mizzie. It has a very similar feel to the ALW musical and it has Charles Dance as the Phantom. It's up on YouTube too*

Who are your three favourite Disney villains?
Ooh, tough! This changes depending on my mood but at the moment I'm going to go for... Hades, Scar and Frollo. Hades is easily my favourite thing about Hercules. Even as a child I wanted him to win. He's so much more entertaining than everyone else in the film! James Woods plays him with such relish and I do love the sleazy lawyer/Hollywood agent vibe that he brought to the role. Disney's Maleficent has made a ton of money and I would be thrilled if they ever decided to do a film about Hades. Scar is another favourite villain. Jeremy Irons does such a fantastic job in the role - it helps that he's got such a great voice! And then there's Frollo who is just so chilling. He does terrible, terrible things but what's really scary about him is that he genuinely believes that he's a good person and that he's doing God's work. He's scary because he's so realistic. And Hellfire is a brilliant song! Other Disney villains that I love are Ursula, Shere Khan, Jafar, Gothel, Gaston, Captain Hook, Yzma, Rattigan from Basil the Great Mouse Detective. I do love my Disney villains.

Hades

Scar

Frollo

Have you read books in other languages than English?
I had to read and translate parts of The Canterbury Tales at school and that's written in Middle English. Does that count? Middle English is hard! When it comes to reading or watching Shakespeare plays I have no problems. Oh alright I might not be able to understand every single word but I can always follow what's going on. But Chaucer...grr!

Do you read poetry?
Ooh yes and I'm trying to read even more of it :) I love, love, love Edgar Allan Poe. His poems are so wonderfully eerie and beautiful. Also, he was an early pioneer of science-fiction and without his detective stories we might never have had Sherlock Holmes. He was a genius! Recently I read T.S. Eliot's The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock and it's utterly gorgeous. It's also Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hiddleston's favourite poem which makes me love them even more. Tom Hiddleston recites a little bit of it here. I love the Shakespeare sonnets that I've read. Some other specific poems that I love are:

  • I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud by William Wordsworth
  • There is a Pleasure in the Pathless Woods by Byron
  • Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll
  • Jerusalem and The Tyger by William Blake
  • The Splendour Falls on Castle Walls by Tennyson

What was your favourite film from 2013?
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. I admit that it's not a perfect film or adaptation but it still made me ridiculously happy :)


Samara of Wait + Hope asked:

Wonderland or Neverland?
I'd much rather visit Neverland because then I'd get to smoke funny things. It cracks me up that this happened in a Disney film... :D


But seriously, the reason why I'd want to visit Neverland is because I'd get to fly :)

Next to Cumberbatch and Hiddleston... who is your favourite male actor?
That's hard! At the moment I'm thinking Lee Pace because, you know, The Fall! *Samara and I have both recently discovered that film and we're huge fans :) * Also there's his Ned and Thranduil. I love him in both of those roles. And I really can't wait to see him and Karen Gillan in Guardians of the Galaxy.


Which Hogwarts house are you?
Well, I tend to come up as Gryffindor as quizzes but I'm not really sure why because I've always wanted to be in Ravenclaw! I even own this Ravenclaw top! :D I like to think that I can be brave if the situation calls for it but I would hardly call bravery my defining characteristic. And I place an immensely high value on intelligence, wit, learning and knowledge. The goal of my life is to know all the things :D That should count me as a Ravenclaw, right? We know the sorting hat takes your choice into account after all :)

Which is your favourite Harry Potter character?
Umm... I love Snape and I think he's the best Harry Potter character. He's complex and tragic and Chapter 33 is my favourite out of the entire series. I seriously think this single chapter is one of the saddest and most beautiful love stories that I've ever read :( But I'm also pretty certain that if I was to actually meet Snape in real life that I wouldn't like him at all. As much as I love him I really can't ignore the fact that he was unkind to his poor students. So I think Hermione is my favourite Harry Potter character, then Lupin.

What are your two favourite Lizzie Bennet Diaries episodes?
I'm actually working on a Top 10 LBD episodes list at the moment! :) My absolute favourite is probably Episode 83. I love it even more than Episode 98 and of course I love that episode as well! This episode is just so... so... It just makes me so happy :)



The second episode position is actually more difficult but I think I'm going to go with Episode 15. It's the funniest episode in the whole series for me. It's absolutely hilarious to see Charlotte and Jane acting out Caroline and Darcy :D The character development in this episode is excellent too. Unlike Austen's Pride and Prejudice the LBD is told in first-person and this episode reminds the audience that Lizzie is an unreliable narrator and that we shouldn't take everything that she says as gospel truth. Laura Spencer became my favourite Jane Bennet after this episode too. I even love her more than Book Jane. Spencer's Jane is more assertive, which I like, and she's far funnier.



Rank the Lord of the Rings books? Would the film adaptations be ranked differently?
With the film adaptations I'd put The Two Towers as my least favourite (I still love it though!) with The Fellowship of the Ring and The Return of the King battling it out for the top spot. I suppose it would be the same for the books.

Is there a classic author that you're surprised you haven't read (I've never read a whole book by Mark Twain :P )
Neither have I! Yes, there's quite a few. Apart from Twain there's L.M. Montgomery, George Orwell, George Eliot, Rudyard Kipling, E.M. Forster, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Ernest Hemingway and Edith Wharton.

What are your top 5 (New) Doctor Who episodes? [I know, that's a hard one. Don't have to be set in stone, just based on how you're feeling now...]
Ermmygosh! That is hard! *Thinks for ages*

Human Nature/Family of Blood

This story is a masterpiece. The concept is simple yet brilliant. It's tense, suspenseful, perfectly-paced and it has a very Classic Who feel about it. Paul Cornell's script is beautifully-written: the "He's like fire and ice and rage" and the "Fury of the Time Lord" scenes never fail to give me the chills. David Tennant is brilliant as both John Smith and the Doctor. In my opinion this story features his best performance. Martha is badass in this story. How people can slate her I'll never know! The Family of Blood and their scarecrow henchmen are fantastic villains. Harry Lloyd and Thomas Sangster are two of my favourite Doctor Who guest stars and I get a huge kick out of the fact that they later went on to star in Game of Thrones. They're Viserys Targaryen and Jojen Reed! :D Paul Cornell hasn't written for Doctor Who since this story and that really makes me sad. I was desperately hoping that he'd come back and write a story for the 11th Doctor. Trivia: Steven Moffat and Paul Cornell are close friends and Steven Moffat was the best man at Cornell's wedding.


Blink
Well, what can I say about this episode that hasn't already been said? It's another masterpiece. Steven Moffat's story is incredibly clever and is full of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey ness. Sally Sparrow is a terrific character and is the best companion the Doctor never had. Carey Mulligan does a wonderful job at playing her and has to pretty much carry the entire episode by herself. The secondary characters are fun and I especially love Larry. The Weeping Angels are terrifying. This episode is very scary but also extremely funny and highly quotable. But the Whovians among you already knew these things anyway ;)


A Christmas Carol
Moffat was obviously inspired by the Charles Dickens novella and this episode is hands down my favourite Doctor Who Christmas special. It's a wonderful take on the story and is full of heart. It's a bonkers steampunk fairytale but it's also deeply moving and beautiful. The production values are gorgeous. Matt Smith gives one of his very best performances. Katherine Jenkins' rendition of "In the Bleak Midwinter" is beautifully-sung and even her acting is surprisingly good! The only flaw of this episode is that Amy and Rory don't get very much to do but this is only a minor flaw. Everything else is perfect.


The Doctor's Wife
This episode was written by Neil Gaiman, one of my favourite authors, and he didn't disappoint. He came up with a genius premise and his episode is a fun, funny and beautiful love letter to the Doctor and his sexy blue box ;) All of the scenes between the Doctor and Idris (the TARDIS in human form) are adorable and an absolute joy to watch. Suranne Jones is a terrific guest star and Matt Smith's pain at saying goodbye to Idris is a beautifully-acted scene. Many fans think that this episode features Matt Smith's best performance as the Doctor and I think they might just be right.



The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone
This two-parter is a fantastic sequel to Blink. It really is the Aliens to Blink's Alien. Blink is basically a haunted house story with menacing statues instead of ghosts but this story feels like a mini action movie. It's brilliantly tense and exciting. It's hard to believe that it features Matt Smith and Karen Gillan's first performances for the show. They're both utterly wonderful, especially Matt, and their chemistry is already there. This story also features the return of the fabulous Alex Kingston as River Song. Oh, and another big reason why I love this story is because of the cliffhanger to The Time of Angels. A brilliantly acted and brilliantly written scene.



Honourable Mentions: Hide, The Fires of Pompeii, The Waters of Mars, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Midnight, The Silence in the Library/The Forest of the Dead, The Eleventh Hour, Let's Kill Hitler, The Day of the Doctor, Vincent and the Doctor, The Name of the Doctor, The Unquiet Dead, The Girl Who Waited, The Wedding of River Song, The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, The Girl in the Fireplace... I love Doctor Who! 

Evie Brandon of A Period Drama Fangirl asked:

Have you seen Downton Abbey?
I have. I've seen the first three series of the show plus the first two Christmas specials. My mother and I both stopped watching it a few episodes into series four because we weren't enjoying it any more. Sorry! I can tell you're a big fan.

If so who is your favourite character?
My favourite characters were Sybil, Matthew and William :( Thomas is a really fun character though in a love to hate him kind of way!

Who is your favourite and least favourite Harry Potter actor and actress?
Well, my least favourite Harry Potter actor is probably Michael Gambon. I do like him in Emma and in Doctor Who's A Christmas Carol but I loathe his Dumbledore! The scene where he shoves Harry against a wall and shakes him makes me want to die. It's just so massively out of character! It's obvious that he never read the books! I loved Richard Harris's Dumbledore though. He was warm, kind, gentle, calm, friendly. Someone you would actually want to have as your grandfather. Gambon's Dumbledore was nowhere near as likeable. I'm really not a fan of Gary Oldman's Sirius or David Thewlis's Lupin either. They're nothing at all like the characters that I imagined in my head which really makes me sad. I love the Marauders :(

To be fair there are many HP performances that I do enjoy though. Alan Rickman and Helena Bonham Carter are probably my favourites. I love them as Snape and Bellatrix Lestrange :)

Thank you and bye for now! :)

12 comments:

Evie Brandon said...

Helloooooo! :D Here are my thoughts on this post. Be warned it is going to be long!

Oooh that version of Sherlock Holmes.. I haven't seen it but it looks good.

We have the stage version of Les Mis coming to where I live in Australia and I am so so excited!

I love Scar too! I was so happy when I found out Jeremy Irons was his voice actor :D

I loved the hobbit too!! :D

I am a Ravenclaw student woooo!

Blink what a fav! I tricked my brother into watching it late at night hehehe

That's ok :) It took me a while to get into it too. I love them too! and Sybil too!

Finally someone that doesn't like Michael Gambon as well I agree with you too. I really really like Alan Rickman as Snape too. He is awesome!

Sorry for using all the exclamation marks :)and thank you so much for answering my questions :)

~Evie

Hamlette said...

I have only seen The Great Mouse Detective once. I need to see if my library has it. But what I really meant to say was... I can't wait for you to see the Granada series!!!!!! My hubby introduced me to them when we were first dating, and oh my goodness, they're wonderful. A few years ago, we "gave each other" the complete DVD set with slipcase for Christmas. I can't wait to hear what you think of them!

Mizzie-Me said...

- The Great Mouse Detective is fantastic! Basil is one of the best Disney heroes ever, and much more "Sherlock" than many of the human Sherlocks I've seen :) I've watched some of the Granada episodes, I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts of it when you do. I've also seen the first two Rathbone/Bruce films and the 2002 Hound of the Baskervilles.

- That Pirate Prince sounds really, really interesting, and I'd never heard of him before! I would love to meet Charles Dickens, Queen Victoria, William Shakespeare or Cleopatra VII... at least, that's the top list I can think of right now.

- Les Mis is my favourite musical too, but seeing The Phantom of the Opera on stage and FEELING that music vibrate around the theatre had such an impact on me, I would recommend that to someone who doesn't understand musicals :D

- I have to say I'm not much of an old movies person myself... I think the oldest ones I've seen are The Wizard of Oz and the first two Rathbone/Bruce films that I mentioned earlier, and they're from 1939.

- Scar is definitely on my favourite list, he's probably number one :) My other Top Three villains would be, I think... Dr Facilier and Monstro the whale (from Pinocchio)! :D Bit unconventional maybe? But Frollo and Hades are awesome too.

- Middle English DOES count. I've read the Canterbury tales on a History of English course so I know what you mean by "hard" :) Good thing Shakespeare was in the Early Modern English period so he's much more understandable!

- I'm a kind of "love it or hate it"person when it comes to poetry. Usually it's too mushy or artsy or... something... for my taste, but then there are some writers, some pieces that are absolutely enchanting. John Keats is my favourite poet and his Ode to a Nightingale is my favourite poem. I've also read all of Shakespeare's sonnets and loved them. I remember reading that "J. Alfred Prufrock" for a University course once, but I'll have to read it again now because I can't remember anything of it! I loved "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats", otherwise I haven't been a huge T.S. Eliot fan.

- 2013 was a great movie year! My favourite would have to be August: Osage County. Such terrific acting and genius writing, I was totally mind-boggled.

- I come up Ravenclaw in almost every test (including Pottermore's) and I'm proud of it! :D

- I don't like Gambon's Dumbledore either. I think the character suffered from some VERY weird writing as well as acting. And I'll never forgive the filmmakers for what they did to Alastor Moody... That poor character who was supposed to be awesome.

- Lastly, this isn't strictly speaking a comment on your Ask Me Anythings but I think you'll be interested to know that I've watched Doctor Who as far as Series 2, Episode 2 and I'm completely succumbing to David Tennant's charm x)

samara said...

I am also absolutely adoring Lee Pace right now. My 2 best friends and I may even joke about Triple Dating with those 3 actors haha (Cumberbatch for me :P ).

Though we have never met... I can totally see you as a Ravenclaw. I'm one too!

Snape... yes :) And Hermione! Love that girl!

You, my dear, picked 2 very good episodes!! 15 is one of the best ever. And Jane!Darcy is the best Darcy (I've even cosplayed as her!him)

As for LOTR, I'd rank them Return, Fellowship, and Towers... and same for the films :)

Oh, fair list of things you've never read. I haven't read much by those authors either, but I highly recommend Edith Wharton's Age of Innocence!

Oh and Human Nature / Family of Blood may be my top ever. It's that or the Girl in the Fireplace. And yes, A Christmas Carol is by FAR the best Christmas Special :)


Also... I love your term "historical crush"! Mine's Alexander the Great :)

Hannah said...

Mizzie - It warms my heart that you're a GMD fan! It seems to be one of Disney's more obscure films but it really is fantastic!

Ah so you've seen the 2002 Hound of the Baskervilles version! Is it really as terrible as everyone says? :D And what did you think of the Basil Rathbone/Jeremy Brett versions?

I'm the same. I'm not much of an old movies fan either but there's a handful that I really love: Psycho, Rebecca, the first two Godfather movies, etc.

Dr Facilier! I knew I'd left someone out! Yes he's a great villain :) Monstro's an interesting choice. I don't remember Pinocchio very well to be honest - apart from the scene where the boys get turned into donkeys which traumatised me!

There's a recording of Benedict Cumberbatch doing a reading of 'Ode to a Nightingale' on YouTube which I'm sure you'll love. :) That's another poem I forgot to include. I especially love the final stanza.

I'm really not a fan of the HP films. They're not even that bad or anything. It's just that they should have been adapted for TV instead. Like Game of Thrones but more family friendly. Now wouldn't that have been amazing? *sigh*

Yay! Matt Smith is my favourite Doctor these days but Tennant isn't far behind. He's also a very fine Shakespearean actor :)

What did you think of The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances? That's my fave story from S1. In S1 I love School Reunion & The Girl in the Fireplace. Just try not to quit watching when you get to Love & Monsters and Fear Her ok?

Hannah said...

Samara - I don't know who I'd pick out of those three! At the moment maybe Hiddleston but only because I was browsing through some Loki gifs earlier ;)

I'm glad you approve of the LBD episodes I picked! And that Human Nature/Family of Blood is one of your favourite DW stories too! And The Girl in the Fireplace is terrific. Reinette would have made a great companion.

I really enjoyed your Age of Innocence review :) That got me wanting to read the book even more.

Alexander the Great was hot if his sculptures are anything to go by ;)

Hannah said...

Evie - Aw, I'm excited about Les Mis for you! It's amazing, you'll love it :) And thanks for leaving your questions and commenting!

Hamlette - I do really want to watch the Granada series :) I'm sure I'd love it. I loved Jeremy Brett in My Fair Lady & Rebecca especially in the latter. I could totally see him as Sherlock Holmes. His mannerisms are uncannily similar to Benedict Cumberbatch's at times!

Mizzie-Me said...

I'm going to do a great big Hound of the Baskervilles film post which will include Granada, Rathbone/Bruce and the 2002 film so you'll see exactly what I think of all of them ;) It'll be so much fun!!

The donkey scene from Pinocchio IS truly traumatizing. And I think Monstro holds a sort of unique terror compared to other Disney villains because he doesn't talk or act human in any way (because he isn't, of course) and he just swooshes around the sea... Shudders.

Cumberbatch reading Ode to a Nightingale... HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS? You have my eternal thanks for telling me this, I'll have to look it up when I'm in the right mood!

I'm totally with you on the HP films. Books 4-7 are just so long and full of stuff that it's impossible to cram them into 2-3 hour films.

Oooh my gosh, looks like Steven Moffat was the best writer on Doctor Who already in the first series. I love so many many many things in The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances! The Word War II setting, Rose's Union Jack shirt, Florence Hoath's brilliant acting, Captain Jack, and those utterly terrifying gas mask people going "Mummy..." Scariest scene ever. Yep, you could say I liked it :P

Hamlette said...

You're right, JB does share a few mannerisms with BC -- I wonder if that's intentional on BC's part? I haven't seen him in enough non-Sherlock things to know what he's like when he's not Sherlock.

I reeeeeeally love JB in Rebecca. I wish they'd put that version on DVD, cuz I would absolutely buy it. The proposal scene in particular -- LOVE it! I've watched that scene probably a dozen times since I first discovered it was on YouTube last year.

Manette said...

Hannah, are you on Pottermore by any chance? :)

Hannah said...

Erm, no! I take it that you're on it though so I think I might have to rectify that :)

Manette said...

You should, it's a wonderful site! That's where J.K. Rowling puts all the HP world details that she couldn't fit into the books :) Like, have you found out about McGonagall's awesome backstory yet? Or what Mr Ollivander says about all the different sorts of wand cores and woods?