Wednesday, 20 August 2014

My Thoughts on Some Upcoming Shakespeare Movies

Since there are quite a few upcoming Shakespeare adaptations in the works I felt like giving my take on them all :)

Cymbeline (2014)
Cymbeline is one of Shakespeare's more obscure plays and is mostly set in Ancient Britain (in the area that is now Wales). This film adaptation has changed the setting to modern-day New York and it will depict a "grudge war between corrupt cops and a drug dealing biker gang". The trailer is below:


Will I see it?
No. Cymbeline isn't a play that I know, I'm not a great fan of anyone in its cast, and the trailer doesn't interest me.

Enemy of Man (2014)
There are two upcoming Macbeth adaptations in the works. This film really doesn't seem like it's going to be a traditional take on the story. Apparently it's going to be "stripping back the dialogue and cranking up the action". Ah yes, because that's exactly why Shakespeare's works have endured over the centuries. Because of all of the breathtaking action scenes.


Will I See It?
Maybe because I do really like some of its cast (Sean Bean, Charles Dance) but at the same time I am very sceptical!

Macbeth (2015)
This the second of the two Macbeth films (obviously!) It seems like a much more traditional take on the story and there's already a bit of an early Oscar buzz about it. Michael Fassbender is playing Macbeth, which makes him the fourth X-Men actor to take on the role (after Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan and James McAvoy), and Marion Cotillard is playing his wife. There's no trailer yet but there have been some released images:


Will I see it?
Yes, I'm really looking forward to this one! I haven't read Macbeth since I was in Year 8 but I did like the play (I think I was about the only kid in my class who did!) and I love Fassbender and Cotillard. Also, a lot of the film was actually shot in Scotland which is really nice.

Rosaline (2015)
There isn't a lot of information about this film yet but it's going to be based on a YA novel called When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle. It's a modern-day retelling of Romeo and Juliet and, as you've probably already gathered, it tells the story of the play from the perspective of Rosaline. Felicity Jones will be playing the title character and the film will be scripted by Michael H. Weber and Scott Neustadter (who wrote 500 Days of Summer and the adaptation of The Fault in Our Stars).

Will I See It?
Maybe. The premise doesn't really interest me but I loved Felicity Jones in the ITV adaptation of Northanger Abbey and I thought Weber and Neustadter did a terrific job with The Fault in Our Stars. I'll reserve judgement until I see the final trailer.

Caesar (2015)
I haven't been able to find out very much about this film outside of imdb but it's going to be an adaptation of Julius Caesar. It will star Sean Bean as Caesar (man he really does die in everything!) and Samantha Barks as Portia. It will also feature Indira Varma, Isaac Hempstead-Wright, Mackenzie Crook and John Bradley. That's a lot of Game of Thrones actors! And also John Boyega who will be starring in the new Star Wars trilogy.

Will I See It?
Yes. Julius Caesar isn't a play that I know but I love the cast! I'll have to give the play a read before this film is due.

The overall verdict
Two "yes's", two "maybe's" and a "no". It looks like I might be seeing quite a few Shakespeare movies then!

8 comments:

Bethany Morrow said...

I hadn't heard of any of these, but now I'm quite keen to see a few of them!
Particularly Macbeth and Ceaser.
Go Sam Barks!

samara said...

I know it's not a movie......... but I think we need an update now that more of the Hollow Crown: War of Roses cast has been announced :P

Manette said...

Oh yes, I'm super excited about the Fassbender/Cotillard Macbeth! I adore both of those actors. As for "Enemy of Man"... sounds exactly opposite of what I want from a good movie.

Cymbeline is a really nice play, but I have a really hard time picturing it as a cops-and-gangs kind of thing. Maybe I should see it anyway though, who knows how surprising it might be!

Hannah said...

Bethany - I know, I'm really pleased that Samantha Barks' movie career doesn't look like it's fading away :)

Samara - Ha ha, yes, it WOULD be the day after I post this that the BBC decides to make more announcements about The Hollow Crown! I think I'll have to do a separate post about that one.

Manette - Yay, another Fassbender/Cotillard fan! :D

Oh, I've been meaning to tell you about this because I thought it might interest you but there's a web series adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing that's out now and it's fantastic! Samara got me into it. It's set in modern day New Zealand and it's fantastic! It's almost as good as The Lizzie Bennet Diaries - which, coming from me, is high praise I think :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn57zw4--D0&index=2&list=PLgtRIWtmHefNSmhLGzm87bM6AKzWvD-ls

Hannah said...

Manette - Ha ha, you can tell I like it! I see I put "fantastic" in there twice :D

Lianne @ caffeinatedlife.net said...

They're making Caesar into a movie? I read the play earlier this year and absolutely loved it, so I'll be keeping an eye out for it :)

lmao, you know, I remember seeing the trailer for that modern-day interpretation of Cymbeline and was intrigued about it. Read the play more recently and...well, it wasn't really memorable *shrugs*

Hamlette said...

There have been rumors on and off about Sean Bean as Macbeth for years -- I'm so excited this might finally happen! I'd be interested in seeing Fassbender in the role too. And Sean Bean as Caesar... I'll have to see that too.

Hannah said...

Liane - Well, I hope the Caesar movie lives up to your expectations! :)I'm going to try to read that play soon.

Ooh, interesting, I've got one person who liked Cymbeline and another who didn't. A polarising play it seems!

Hamlette - Ah, I didn't know about those Sean Bean rumours. I imagine he'll do a pretty great job as Macbeth although I still have my reservations about the movie itself.