Friday, 12 September 2014

Netflix Are Planning to Adapt 'A Tale of Two Cities'

No, this isn't a cruel joke! Netflix are planning to adapt Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities and are in talks with Channel Four about a possible co-production. The script is being written by Alan Bleasdale who previously adapted Oliver Twist (1999) for ITV. Woo hoo! The book hasn't had a TV adaptation in over 20 years and the last film adaptation came out 50 years ago. Why that's the case I don't know because the book is one of Dickens' shorter novels and it's very cinematic. It's got action, an epic scale, romance and tragedy. So, yeah, exciting times! :)

4 comments:

Mònica said...

Awesome! I can't wait to see how it goes!
Oh and by the way, I saw your updated About Me page, and it's really good! Very detailed, detailed About me pages help us all seem a less 'faceless' out here on the internet. :)

Manette said...

Quel bonheur! Let's hope they get a WONDERFUL cast for this thing. And, of course, that it actually happens and doesn't get stuck in development hell :)

samara said...

I have been WAITING for a good adaptation of this one! And as a TV series? That would be great!

Hannah said...

Monica - Thank you, that's really sweet :)

Samara - I think a lot of people feel that way! You're not alone!

I thought you'd appreciate this: a blogger that I follow reckons that Tom Hiddleston and JJ Feild look alike enough for them to play Sydney and Charles. It's very unlikely but how amazing would it be if they were actually cast?!

Manette - Oh, we don't want this thing to turn into another POTO 2004 do we?! Where the fans had to wait about 20 years for the thing and then they cast Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum!

I might do a dream cast for AToTC at some point. I have some actors in mind for some of the roles: Tom Hiddleston for Sydney, JJ Feild for Charles, Marion Cotillard for Madame Defarge and either Emilia Clarke or Amanda Seyfried for Lucie. The more minor characters are giving me problems though. I should probably give the book a re-read. I've been meaning to do that!