Sunday, 26 October 2014

School of Thrones (2013)

School of Thrones is a three-episode web series and a modern-day parody of the HBO show Game of Thrones and its source material, George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. The web series is set in Westeros Valley High School and prom night is coming. The noble houses from Game of Thrones are now all high school cliques. The Starks are hipsters, the Greyjoys are a swim team, etc. Various students are soon battling it out to become the Prom King and Queen. The sibling rivalry between the brothers Stannis and Renly Baratheon comes to a head, and Sansa Stark goes against her clique by dating Joffrey Lannister. A new foreign exchange student called Dany Targayren is troubled by the high school bickering that's being caused by the prom night and decides to restore order to the school. The first episode of the web series is below:




This web series review isn't going to be in anywhere near as much depth as the other web series that I've covered on this blog so far (The Lizzie Bennet DiariesThe Autobiography of Jane EyreEmma Approved) because it's really hard to write about a 20 minute length web series in any kind of depth. So this will be a short post I'm afraid. 

I was disappointed by this web series. I was really excited about it when I first heard of it because a modern-day high school parody of Game of Thrones has huge potential for hilarity, and also because this web series features two actors from The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. The brilliant Mary Kate Wiles (Lydia Bennet) plays Sansa Stark in this and Maxwell Glick (Ricky Collins) plays Stannis Baratheon. But this web series just isn't very funny. There are a few mildly amusing moments in it yes, but there was nothing in it that made me laugh out loud or grin. And this is coming from a Game of Thrones fan who understood all of the references! If I wasn't a Game of Thrones fan I'd have found this web series even less amusing. Parodies shouldn't depend on the viewers' knowledge of the source material for their humour. I find Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein hilarious and yet I still haven't seen any of the old Frankenstein movies that the film parodies. You don't need to be a fan of gothic literature to find Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey funny and you don't need to have read Thomas Hardy or D.H. Lawrence to find Stella Gibbons' Cold Comfort Farm funny either. But I think only Game of Thrones fans would get the humour of School of Thrones and as I've already said I don't think this web series is very funny anyway. The production values of this web series are good though. Its title credits are genuinely impressive and are a great take on the amazing title credits of the HBO show. I also loved the fact that the actor playing Littlefinger in this web series looked so much like Aidan Gillen. When I first saw him I genuinely thought "Wow! How on earth did they manage to convince Aiden Gillen to star in this thing?!" :D

Rating: 2/5

No comments: