Tuesday, 28 October 2014

The Chocolate Book Tag


Today is my Dad's birthday and also America's National Chocolate Day. I saw this tag on Hamlette's blog and I thought it looked fun :)

Dark Chocolate (a book that covers a dark topic)
Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky. A murder-mystery told from the murderer's POV! Awesome! :D 

White Chocolate (a light and humorous read)
Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons. Imagine an Emma Woodhouse-like heroine going on holiday to Wuthering Heights and attempting to solve everyone's problems. This book is as funny as it sounds!

Milk Chocolate (a book with a lot of hype that you're dying to read)
Cinder by Marissa Meyer and Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. I've heard a lot of great things about these two books and I'm really looking forward to reading them. I probably won't get round to them this year but they're definitely on my reading list for 2015! Wolf Hall is getting a star-studded BBC adaptation in 2015 which I'm also really looking forward to. It's starring Mark Rylance, Damian Lewis, Claire Foy, Mark Gatiss, David Bradley, Thomas Sangster and Emma Hiddleston (yep, Tom Hiddleston's sister!)


Caramel-filled Chocolate (a book that makes you feel all gooey inside)
Venetia by Georgette Heyer. I genuinely adored this book. The characters made me laugh and smile a lot and I got totally caught up in its romance. Also, its audiobook is read by Richard Armitage and his voice practically is caramel! :D

Wafer-less Kit-Kat (a book that surprised you)
Anna Karenina by Tolstoy. This is a fantastic book! It was so much more accessible and fascinating than I thought it was going to be! The characters are rich and complex and it's a truly compelling portrayal of 19th century Russian society. 

Snickers (a book you're going nuts about)
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. This book completely lived up to its hype. John Green's writing is beautiful and moving and funny. I adored Hazel and Augustus. I still think about this book a lot. And the film adaptation was brilliant too!

Hot Chocolate with Mini Marshmallows (a book you turn to for comfort)
I'm usually very strict when it comes to re-reading books. I won't usually let myself re-read a book until it's been at least 5 years since the last time I read it. But when I was a child/teen I would re-read a certain series over and over again: The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. I truly grew up with this series and I can't really put into words how much these books mean to me. They cheered me up so many times when I was a depressed and unhappy teenager, and I can still remember the intense anticipation and excitement of having to wait for the next book in the series. I'll be a Potterhead forever :)

A Box of Chocolates (a series you feel has something for everyone)
This is a tough one because the book series that I read are almost all fantasy and if you're not a fantasy reader - you poor, unfortunate soul! - then, well, I don't think I can recommend them to you sadly. I clearly need to expand my reading...

EDIT: I forgot to tag anyone for this so... everyone gets tagged! If you want to do the tag then do it :)

2 comments:

Hamlette said...

Anna Karenina is on my to-read list.

How interesting that you're so strict about re-reads! Is this so you can forget the book a little and it will feel new again, or what? I'm that way with a few books (particularly The Westing Game), but most of the time I'm like, "If I'm in the mood for it, read it." I've actually discovered recently that re-reading a book less than a year after the last time I read it can be really rewarding, but I don't have time to do that very often.

Hannah said...

That's exactly why! It encourages me to keep reading new books and it makes my old favourites feel almost new. Maybe I'll change my policy in the future - I was VERY tempted to read Persuasion this autumn - but for now it's working for me.