Thursday, 16 October 2014

The Guardian's "1000 Novels Everyone Must Read"

I saw this on Manette's blog Music and My Mind and I thought I'd give it a try :) Basically The Guardian came up with a list of 1000 novels that they thought everyone should read over the course of their life. I don't necessarily agree with the concept of the list or the books that were chosen but I thought it would be a fun thing to do. The novels were chosen by The Guardian's own review team and a panel of expert judges. To find out your score you can go onto List Challenge. My score is:
  1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
  2. American Gods by Neil Gaiman
  3. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
  4. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
  5. Atonement by Ian McEwan
  6. Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
  7. Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding S
  8. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
  9. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
  10. Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons
  11. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
  12. Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
  13. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  14. Dracula by Bram Stoker S
  15. Emma by Jane Austen
  16. Evelina by Frances Burney
  17. Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
  18. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley S
  19. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
  20. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
  21. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  22. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling
  23. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad S
  24. High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
  25. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
  26. The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
  27. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
  28. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  29. Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
  30. A Kestrel for a Knave by Barry Hines S
  31. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
  32. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
  33. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
  34. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy ("It's not a trilogy!") by J.R.R. Tolkien
  35. Lorna Doone by R.D. Blackmore
  36. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
  37. Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell
  38. Misery by Stephen King
  39. The Monk by Matthew Lewis S
  40. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
  41. Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
  42. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
  43. My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier
  44. The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco S
  45. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
  46. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
  47. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
  48. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
  49. Perfume by Patrick Suskind
  50. Persuasion by Jane Austen
  51. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
  52. The Prestige by Christopher Priest
  53. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
  54. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
  55. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro S
  56. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
  57. The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy
  58. The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 by Sue Townsend
  59. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
  60. Shirley by Charlotte Bronte
  61. The Sign of Four by Arthur Conan Doyle
  62. A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
  63. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
  64. Tess of the D'Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy
  65. Thank You, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
  66. The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
  67. Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll
  68. The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
  69. Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake
  70. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  71. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
  72. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (This is a novella!) S
  73. Villette by Charlotte Bronte
  74. The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks S
  75. Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys
  76. The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
  77. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
  78. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
S - Indicates that I had to study this book for school/university. All of the other books were read purely of my own volition. 

I decided to only include books that I've read and finished. If I had included unfinished series like The Hitch Hiker's Guide to The Galaxy and His Dark Materials then the total of the list would have been a little bit higher. There are also many more books on the list that I want to read but haven't got round to yet! The list of books on there that I want to read is probably double the size of the books that I've read!

4 comments:

bookwormans said...

I've been semi-working on that list for a few years. I'm up to 84! Only 916 and more to go.

Bethany Morrow said...

I only scored 23! Shameful.
I only just turned 17 though, I've got time!
Also, I read a lot more classic plays and poetry than classic novels.

samara said...

Good job! Much better than me... only scored 53. But I agree with you about list-making. There a few books I would say anyone and everyone would be better for reading... but it's more important that people just read!

Hannah said...

Bookwormans - Wow, that's getting up to 90! I am VERY impressed! And I think I might start using it as a reading guide as well.

Bethany - That's actually very impressive! When I was your age I'd only read about 6 of these books! But thankfully I've come a long way since. :D

Samara - The same. I think that there are some "must-read" books out there but only if readers are interested in certain genres. I think that all fantasy fans should read The Hobbit and LOTR for example.