Thursday, 2 October 2014

The Janeite Tag


I've been tagged by Evie Brandon of A Period Drama Fangirl. Thank you, Evie!

The Rules:
  • Thank and link back to the person who tagged you. (Check!)
  • Tell us how you were introduced to Jane Austen and share one fun fact about your Janeite life (this fun fact can be anything from "I stayed up all night reading Emma" to "I visited Chawton and met Anna Chancellor.").
  • Answer the tagger's questions.
  • Write seven questions of your own.
  • Tag as few as one or as many as seven other Janeites and let them know you've tagged them.

How I was introduced to Jane Austen
Well, I first became vaguely aware of Jane Austen from when I was about 7 because my mom watched the 1995 adaptation of Pride and Prejudice when it was first shown on TV. I wasn't at all interested in watching it but when I was about 12 or 13 I saw a copy of Pride and Prejudice in the school library. I read it and I remember really liking it. Now I would love to say that it was from this point onwards that I became a massive Jane Austen fan and read all of the books and saw all of the adaptations blah, blah, blah but sadly that didn't happen. I pretty much forgot about Jane Austen - oh the shame, the shame! - until I was 18 and re-read Pride and Prejudice over the Christmas holidays. This time around I loved the book! :D Once I was done with Pride and Prejudice, I read Sense and Sensibility and watched the 1995 film. During the Easter holidays I then read Emma and Persuasion. During the Summer holidays I read Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park. Then I watched lots of the adaptations and the following year I read Lady Susan, The Watsons and Sanditon. I've been a huge Jane Austen for the last seven years :) I've read all of the books at least twice and I'm planning to re-read them all again in 2015. 

A fun fact about my Janeite life
I've been to the Jane Austen Centre in Bath twice. 

What is your favourite Jane Austen minor couple?
Er, I don't tend to get very shippy over the minor Austen couples. But saying that I did find Harriet and Robert Martin in Emma Approved disgustingly adorable. And even though it's not canon I shipped Georgiana Darcy and Henry Alveston in Death Comes to Pemberley. They were so cute!

Would you rather spend a weekend with Mr Wickham or Mr Willoughby?
I'd go for Willoughby, purely because he has a nice estate.

You've been invited to a ball, what is your first reaction?
Mmm.. I like the idea of a ball but in reality I really don't think I would. So "pleased but not overwhelmingly excited?"

If you could choose a Jane Austen home to live in what would you choose? Netherfield? Pemberley?
Pemberley would be my number one choice but I'd happily settle for Barton Cottage. 

Chatsworth House (Pemberley in P&P 2005 and Death Comes to Pemberley)


Barton Cottage in S&S 1995

Barton Cottage in S&S (2008)

Darcy or Bingley?
Darcy! 

Brandon or Ferrars?
Brandon!

Knightley or Captain Wentworth?
Knightley!

Which character are you most like?
I relate the most to Elizabeth Bennet but I can see glimpses of myself in quite a few of Austen's characters. I have the dramatic tendencies of Marianne, I can be over-imaginative like Catherine Morland, I have the social awkwardness of Darcy :D



My Questions:
  1. What is your favourite Jane Austen novel?
  2. Who is your favourite Austen hero and heroine? (I guess that could be considered two questions!)
  3. Who is your favourite secondary character?
  4. Which relative of any of Austen's heroines/heroes do you find most annoying?
  5. Provide up to five of your favourite Austen quotes. (I know, hard! Just pick a few random quotes that you love. They don't have to be your absolute favourites)
  6. What is your favourite adaptation for each of Austen's books?
  7. Are there any books that you would recommend to a fellow Janeite? For example: some books that I would recommend to a fellow Jane Austen fan are Much Ado About Nothing, North and South and Cold Comfort Farm.
I tag:
  1. Samara of Wait + Hope
  2. Bookwormans of Complete and Unabridged
  3. Hamlette of The Edge of the Precipice
  4. Sarah of How To Watch a Movie
  5. Ruby Danderfluff of We'll See How This Goes
  6. Miss Dashwood of Yet Another Period Drama Blog
  7. And anyone else who wants to do this tag!

6 comments:

Miss Brandon said...

*Deeeeep Breath*

Wow! I loved your answers!! :D
Isn't the 1995 version of S&S really fantastic? I love it so much, but I really like David Morrisey in the 08 adaptation so I can't choose, Morrisey is how I pictured Brandon.

Oh you have been twice??! lucky lucky you! :D

Hahahah same here!

My reaction to a ball
"Oh My Goodness!, I need to tune my viola I'll be playing eeeeek!"

You like brandon too?!? Hi 5!! I am actually writing a short story about him and Marianne, would you like to be my proofreader? :)

Thanks for doing the tag!

~Evie (Miss Brandon)

samara said...

oooooh! I'm really excited to do this - I'll let you know once I do :)

Hannah said...

Miss Brandon - I love both the 1995 and 2008 versions - and Alan Rickman and David Morrisey's Brandons. But I prefer the 1995. The look on Brandon's face when Marianne thanks him for fetching her mother always gets to me :)

Yeah, I'll be the proofreader if you want :) I'll just have to check your spelling right? Shall I send you an email and then you can send me the story with an attachment?

Samara - I had a feeling you would :D

Miss Brandon said...

It's me Evie Brandon you know.. I just changed my name :D..
Yes of course! :) thank you so much!! I'm afraid I've kinda slipped a little out of Jane's English.. :( and ah yes that look! *sighs happily*

bookwormans said...

Thanks for the tag! Here is my post:

http://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-janeite-tag.html

Sarah said...

Thanks for tagging me! It took a while, but I did it, and it was a lot of fun! :) I enjoyed reading your answers too. I'm impressed at how young you were when you read P&P for the first time! I think I was 15, and still didn't understand it very well. It took me a while to become a reader. And that photo of Darcy being awkward is hilarious! :D