Thursday, 13 November 2014

'The Book of Lost Things' by John Connolly (2006)

Synopsis: The Book of Lost Things begins in London during WWII. David is a 12 year old boy whose mother is gravely ill. When she dies, David is naturally heartbroken. David's father then swiftly remarries a woman called Rose and soon they have a baby called Georgie. David's father then uproots the family to the countryside so they can escape the London Blitz. David struggles to cope with his new life. He's lonely, he desperately misses his mother, and he feels deep resentment towards his stepmother and half-brother. David's only comfort are the myth and fairytale books that his mother used to read to him... but then he starts to hear voices coming from the books and he begins to have some frightening dreams. Then one night, after a particularly bad argument with his father and stepmother, David hears his mother's voice calling to him, begging him to save her from something horrible. David follows the sound of her voice to the bottom of the garden and finds a hole in the garden wall. When David emerges through the hole he finds himself in the land of fairytales - and there's no way of going back. David then runs into the Woodsman from Little Red Riding Hood who manages to save him from a pack of were-wolves. David is then told that he must seek out a mysterious and legendary book called the Book of Lost Things with the help of the Woodsman and a brave knight called Roland. This is all whilst evading the were-wolves and the terrifying Crooked Man who follow David wherever he goes.


I really wanted to love this book. Heck, I was expecting to love this book. It sounded so promising! "A historical setting?! A fantasy novel that features fairytale retellings?! A quest?! A bookish hero?! A beautiful cover?! Yes please!" :D

The more I think about this book, the more frustrated with it I feel. At first I really did enjoy The Book of Lost Things. Initially I found it suspenseful, gripping, well-written and atmospheric. But then I gradually started to lose all interest in it. I'd heard that this book was a dark read but bloody hell! I've read books that have contained darkness and tragedy before but I've never read anything as brutal, disturbing and horrifying as this particular book! That part with the enchantress at the castle and then the part where David goes through the Crooked Man's torture chamber... *shudders* I can't recommend this book at all. I didn't like the way it made me feel - repulsed! Needless to say this book wasn't for me.

Rating: 2/5

2 comments:

Hamlette said...

Good to know! Thanks for the warning. I will definitely avoid.

Hannah said...

At first I loved this book but then it became waaay too twisted and horrific for me. Yes, you should definitely avoid it!