Wow, I wasn't expecting that! I was expecting something epic and exciting but I'm really surprised at the honesty and emotion of this trailer! It's making no attempt whatsoever to hide the fact that this film will be full of death and tragedy, and there are some really lovely character moments and dialogue. I mean, take this moment here. Talk about getting hit right in the feels! :'(
I'll be seeing Interstellar, The Imitation Game, Mockingjay and a filmed screening of The Crucible before this year is out - and I'm looking forward to them - but my anticipation for these things is nothing compared to the level of anticipation that I have for this film. I am beyond excited! The things that I'm most looking forward to seeing in this movie are (in no particular order):
- Smaug's death
- The White Council showing up at Dol Guldur, rescuing Gandalf, and defeating the Necromancer. I'm really hoping that we'll get to see Galadriel and Saruman kicking some ass!
- Thorin's madness over the Arkenstone and his reconciliation with Bilbo. I'm sure that Richard Armitage is going to be amazing in these scenes.
- Thranduil. I freakin' loved Thranduil in Desolation of Smaug and I'm really excited at the thought of seeing his character get developed further.
- The Battle of the Five Armies itself
- The ending. Actually I have deeply mixed feelings about this. It's going to be such a bittersweet moment. That will be it. There won't be any more Middle-earth goodness to look forward to any more :( I'm hoping that they'll bring it full circle and have the film end with Bilbo's 111st birthday party in the future.