Thursday, 2 April 2015

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts

(c) Lianne @ EclecticTales.com

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things they've encountered during the week, etc).

1. I'm currently halfway through Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence right now and I'm really loving it. It's such a beautiful and heart-wrenching book. Once I'm finished with it I'm going to watch the Martin Scorsese adaptation and then I hope to read Edith Wharton's Summer soon. Summer is one of Wharton's lesser-known works but there are a lot of rumours flying around that there's going to be a film adaptation of it with Hailee Steinfeld, Richard Armitage and Dan Stevens. I've not seen Steinfeld in anything but I love Armitage and Stevens so I'm pretty excited about this! :D Oh and there's also that TV adaptation of Wharton's The Custom of the Country that's just been announced which is starring Scarlett Johansson. It looks like I got into Edith Wharton at just the right time!

2. A project that Dan Stevens is definitely in which I'm even more excited about is the upcoming Beauty and the Beast movie. I loved the two most recent Disney fairytale films (Into the Woods and Cinderella) very, very much so I think they're on great form. Beauty and the Beast is one of my favourite films and it's definitely my favourite Disney film. Well, it might be tied with Tangled these days but it still claims the number one spot. I was initially annoyed when I found out that they were re-making the 1991 film but I've warmed up to the project now that they've announced the cast. I didn't actually like Emma Watson's acting in the Harry Potter films but I thought she gave a fantastic performance in The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I think she's really improved as an actress. She auditioned to play Cosette in the Les Miserables film as well so one would think that she has a really good singing voice. I think that she'll do a great job as will Stevens and Luke Evans and everyone else. The only thing that's making me nervous about the film is that Bill Condon is directing it. I know he's won an Oscar in the past but his two most recent films were The Fifth Estate (which bombed) and Twilight: Breaking Dawn :S

3. I have a new phone! I've had a Samsung Galaxy for the past two years but now I've switched to an iPhone 5c. I love my new phone: I picked a very nice shiny blue colour for it and it's a lot faster than my old phone was. When I used to scroll on Tumblr with my old phone it would take ages for GIFs to load up but now they load up pretty much instantly. I still kind of miss my old phone though. I get very attached to my phones.

4. I am so loving the BBC's Poldark right now! I've never actually read the Winston Graham books that the show is based on but I knew about the 1970's adaptation of the books and how popular it was so I was definitely intrigued. The show was kind of like the Downton Abbey of its day in terms of popularity. That and the fact that I knew that Aidan Turner was going to be starring in it made me want to watch the show and now I ♥ it. I love almost all of the characters in it (apart from Francis who's so whiny and weak-willed that I just want to punch him all the time), it's romantic, it's dramatic, and the Cornish countryside is beyond gorgeous. I haven't been to Cornwall since I was a teenager and the show has definitely inspired me to go back to it at some point in the future.


5. Last month I made the decision to stop going to French class and now I'm learning the language independently. My French has actually improved since I stopped going to class! I have the Duolingo app on my phone and it's keeping me really motivated. I'm practising on it several times a day. The classroom environment simply wasn't working for me *shrugs*

6. A couple of songs that I'm really loving right now are Lorde's Bravado and an epic mash-up of Imagine Dragons' Radioactive with Fall Out Boy's My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark.




7. I don't think I've mentioned it on the blog but I'm going to Italy this September. Some of you might recall that review I did on E.M. Forster's A Room with a View back in January? Well, the book and the 1985 film had me longing to go back to Florence and I suggested to my mom that we should go to Italy for our summer holiday this year and she agreed :) We're both excited. She's never been to Florence. I have but I didn't get to see any other towns in Tuscany and I'm hoping to do that on this trip.

8. A more immediate thing that I'm looking forward to is my trip to the Harry Potter Studios next Tuesday! I'm going with my brother. I don't even like the Harry Potter films that much - the books on the other hand! - but I'm still really excited about seeing the sets. I think it's going to be a really fun day out :)

9. I've never talked about it on the blog but I'm a huge fan of the BBC comedy panel show Would I Lie To You? I watched an especially funny episode of it last night. For non-British readers it's a show where the panellists and celebrity guests will read out things about themselves that could either be true or false. Everyone else then has to work out whether the person is lying or not. It's a hilarious show and you can even play along with it at home! And I especially love the banter between the panellists David Mitchell and Lee Mack and the host Rob Brydon :D Here are some of my favourite moments from the show:




10. I'm not going to commit myself to doing these posts every single week but I'm going to make an effort to do them every now and again because it will be a handy way of giving you all my flailings :) March has been a good month for me. February wasn't because I was ill for a lot of it and I've never really liked February anyway but March was good and hopefully April will be even better. I wish everyone reading this a happy Easter!

6 comments:

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I got a new phone a couple of months ago, and love it, too. Mine is an iPhone 5s...

I have The Age of Innocence waiting in the Cloud...Yes, I am discovering the magic of the cloud with my new Kindle Paperwhite (Pippa).

Enjoy your week! Here is MY BOOKISH/NOT SO BOOKISH POST

samara said...

I LOVE Age of Innocence!! Can't wait to hear what you think of it once you're done :) I was surprised to enjoy it considering Wharton was an American author (and I tend to not enjoy them very much :/ ), but there is something very trans-atlantic about her and I think that's what did it for me... Still need to finish watching the adaptation - I got like 5 minutes in one time before being interrupted and I still need to watch it!!

Hamlette said...

Oooooh! You have some super-exciting travel plans! Both the HP sets and Florence -- wow! I'm eager to hear all about both adventures, once you're home :-)

Hannah said...

Laurel - Hi! My brother has that phone. It's better than mine but I wasn't willing to pay more money for it. I hope you'll enjoy The Age of Innocence!

Samara - I loved it too! And yes, I tend to prefer English literature over American literature as well but I suppose that could seem very egotistical coming from an English person! Oh dear.

Hamlette - Yep, I'm going to to HP set tomorrow! :) I'll be sure to buy some cheesy merchandise and I'll put some photos on the blog. And I'll do the same for Florence.

Lianne @ eclectictales.com said...

Welcome again to Bookish & Not-So-Bookish!

Wait, they're making an adaptation of The Custom of the Country? Oh man, this is the only novel from her "great New York novels" that I haven't read yet, it's been sitting on my eReader for a few years now...best get on that O_O

That's awesome that you're learning French on your own now! I've been meaning to brush up for years now (you think after having a French class since elementary until mid-high school I'd remember something, but nope) but alas, lol...

Have I told you yet that I'm excited you're heading to Italy this year? Italy is such a gorgeous country, so much to see and do <333

Hannah said...

Yeah, It does look like they're doing an adaptation of TCoTC. It's not on Johansson's IMDB page but when I googled it quite a lot of sources came up so I guess it must be true :)

Aw, I've met other Canadians who have your problem as well if it makes you feel any better. I used to think that all Canadians were bilingual in English and French but I did some travelling a few years ago and I ran into a few Canadians who didn't know any French. One "English" Canadian girl did but she said she lived near Regina where there's a small French community.

Thank you! I've been meaning to read some of those books that you mentioned in your Italian reading recommendations to get me in the mood for my trip :)