Monday, 27 April 2015

Bookish and Not So Bookish Thoughts

(c) Lianne @ EclecticTales.com

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things they've encountered during the week, etc).

1. Hello again, dear readers! I have a job interview tomorrow morning and your prayers on this would be very much appreciated!

2. At the moment the weather where I'm from is sunny but cold and it's really annoying me! Yesterday I thought it looked quite warm so I didn't dress appropriately enough and I ended up being freezing cold. Today I thought "Well, I'm certainly not going to make the same mistake twice! Oh no, I'm wearing a jumper today!" Only it ended up being even colder than the day before so really I should have worn a coat over it. Grr! And the cold weather isn't doing my hands any good either. I have withered old lady hands right now. Hmm, you can tell I'm British can't you?! Complaining about the weather here is very much a national pastime!

3. I owe my friend Samara a massive thank you because she recommended a high fantasy novel called The Name of the Wind to me about a year ago which I've finally read... and oh my word it was freakin' amazing! :D I'm working on a review of it and it should be up in a few days :) I've also started to read the sequel to that book which is called The Wise Man's Fear. The author of these books is Patrick Rothfuss in case anyone's wondering.

4. I'm currently watching two literary web series at the moment, both of which I'm very much enjoying. They're called Elinor and Marianne Take Barton and From Mansfield with Love. I imagine that most of you will have worked out that they're adaptations of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility and Mansfield Park. I've put the opening episodes of the web series down below for anyone who wants to check them out:






5. Lately I've been doing a bit of thinking about classic stories that could be turned into modern-day web series. Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey is definitely one of them - I've talked about it on the blog before - but other stories that I think could potentially work brilliantly in the modern-day are Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle, George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion and Georgette Heyer's Cotillion

6. As I mentioned in my last Bookish and Not-So-Bookish post I've been loooving the BBC's Poldark. Aidan Turner, Eleanor Tomlinson and Jack Farthing all gave wonderful performances in the series finale of Poldark on Sunday night. It was a heartbreakingly beautiful episode and it's going to be such a long wait to the second series. *sighs* On a lighter note I thought I'd just share this behind-the-scenes clip of the show because I love to see actors having fun on the projects that they're working on. :) Trivia: Aidan Turner was a professional ballroom dancer before he became an actor and even danced for Ireland. Just when I thought he couldn't be any more attractive!


7. It's a long way off but I'll be watching the National Theatre's live screening of Hamlet on the 15th of October. I'm so excited to see Benedict Cumberbatch play Hamlet and I'm really happy with some of the supporting cast who were announced recently. Ciaran Hinds is playing Claudius and Leo Bill is playing Horatio. Bill played Robert Ferrars in the 2008 BBC adaptation of Sense and Sensibility and Charles Darwin in the 2006 film The Fall (which is my favourite film). 

8. It's even further off but the Christmas episode of Sherlock has been on my mind quite a bit too! It's been confirmed that it's going to be a one-off episode set in the Victorian era and I'm really intrigued to see how the actors will differentiate their Victorian and modern-day characters. 

9. Susanna Clarke's book Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is an all-time favourite of mine and the BBC have finally released a full-length trailer for their adaptation of it. I have my doubts on whether some of the cast members *coughmarcwarrencough* will be able to pull off their characters but this certainly looks wonderful and I'm warming to their Jonathan Strange and Vinculus.


10. I went to the Harry Potter Studios near Watford not long ago! I mentioned it in my last Bookish and Not So Bookish post. I had a really fun day and I've put up a few photos of my trip down below. The last one is of me on the "Hogwarts Express" :)





7 comments:

Mònica said...

Oh wow, I hope you get your job! If I may inquire, what kind of job is it?
This post was fun, and I really liked the pictures at the end. :D

Manette said...

Good luck with your job interview! Oh, Finnish people love to complain about the weather too. Apparently, it's going to rain again tomorrow – the weather can't seem to decide whether it's going to move towards spring or not.

Ciarán Hinds in Hamlet? The word "excited" is nowhere near enough to describe how I feel about THAT!

I lovelovelove Grieg's "In the Hall of the Mountain King" and it's very interesting that they used it in the Strange & Norrell trailer, I had never really thought about how well it matches the mood of the book. Bertie Carvell's Strange still doesn't quite work for me, but BBC almost always does superbly in creating period settings, and the sand horses were quite wow! Apparently, I pronounce "Norrell" differently than the trailer does... Is there any chance that any Brit would put the stress on the second syllable there?

samara said...

1. Ah! So excited for your job interview! I hope it goes well!!

3. And I'm also really glad you enjoyed Name of the Wind. You may have picked up on this already, but just a head's up that Wise Man's Fears has some... more mature sequences.

4. Loving both of those! I will be sad to see the EMTB Finale this week, but they've done a pretty stellar job! And FMWL is seeing me through everyone else's hiatuses (hiati? no that sounds like the country)

7. I'll be seeing it via NTL on 10/18 and I can NOT wait! With every new casting announcement, I'm just thrilled!

8. Yes - curiouser and curiouser!

10. SO fun - and yay! a picture of you :D

Hannah said...

Monica - Thank you! It was for a library assistant vacancy at a medical library. I didn't get the job in the end but I got some really positive feedback and they said it was a close call. I feel slightly disappointed not to get it but overall I'm still happy :)

Manette - Haha! That's exactly the problem over here. The weather has no idea what season it wants to be. It keeps changing from warm to cold so I have no idea what I should be wearing at the moment. I hate these transitional periods!

Aw, that's sweet! I wouldn't call Ciaran Hinds one of my favourite actors but I do like him. And now I'm thinking that you should DEFINITELY see 'Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day' because he's lovely in that :)

I love that song too! It's one of my favourite pieces of classical music and YES(!) it fits 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' amazingly well! Or more specifically the Gentleman. That tune is the perfect combination of mischief and menace wouldn't you say? :)

Bertie Carvel's Strange is definitely very different from the Strange that I picture in my head when I read the book but I do quite like the intensity that Carvel's giving off in some of the clips from this trailer. In that sense I can see Book Strange coming from. Eddie Marsan's Norrell is even more different to the Norrell that I imagine when I read the book! I've always imagined Norrell as being a bit camp for some reason and Marsan's Norrell doesn't look that way.

I was the same! I thought "Norrell" was pronounced that way as well when I first read the book. But then I listened to a podcast interview with Susanna Clarke where she put the stress on the first syllable. It makes sense I think. Putting the stress on the second syllable makes it sound more French I think which isn't something that Norrell would have appreciated given the general feelings towards the French at the time.

Hannah said...

Samara

1. Thank you! It did, in a way! Lol.

3. Oh yeah, I've heard about some of the stuff that goes on with Felurian in TWMF. I haven't quite been able to avoid all the spoilers! I don't think I'll mind it too much if the scenes are written tastefully...

7. Yay! You won't be seeing it long after me so it won't be long before I can talk to you about it! :D

10. Yup! A rare one! I like pretty bad in most pictures and I'm not being falsely modest. Even my parents admit that I don't usually photograph well! But I thought I looked alright in this one. I think the lighting and the red lipstick does me some favours :)

Hamlette said...

Wait... not only is Benedict Cumberbatch going to play Hamlet, but now Ciaran Hinds is playing Claudius?!?!?! That's it, I need to go to Britain.

Lianne @ eclectictales.com said...

Ciaran Hinds is also in Hamlet? Oh man, that's going to be awesome! I hope you enjoy the production :)

Hehe, I've been meaning to re-read The Name of the Wind for ages as I have The Wise Man's Fear sitting on my TBR queue. Soon, soon...I hope xD

I'm so excited for Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell! I read the book years ago and absolutely loved it :)

Hope the job interview went well! Great photo of you! :)