Tuesday, 9 June 2015

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts

(c) Lianne @ EclecticTales.com

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things they've encountered during the week, etc)

1. Hello again, dear readers :) At the moment I'm currently re-reading an old favourite of mine - Arthur Conan Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles - and after that I plan on reading John Green's Paper Towns.


2. Not very long ago I watched the brilliant and very moving 2002 BBC miniseries Daniel Deronda. The miniseries was written by Andrew Davies, was directed by Tom Hooper (who did The King's Speech and Les Miserables) and starred Hugh Dancy, Romola Garai and Hugh Bonneville. I really loved this miniseries and it's made me much more interested in reading the George Eliot book :)

3. This is my approximate reaction to Eddie Redmayne getting confirmed as the lead in Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them :D

4. A new Northanger Abbey vlog has started today! Northanger Abbey is one of my top three Jane Austen novels and I've been wanting a vlog series adaptation of it for ages!



5. This means that we now have web series adaptations for all of Jane Austen's novels apart from Persuasion. I'm curious: does anyone out there think that Persuasion could actually work as a modern-day vlog series? As much as I love that book I really don't think it would and there are two reasons why I think this:

  • The main reason why Mr Elliot pursues Anne is because he's after a landed title and that would be difficult to adapt for the modern-day. But at the same time I would hate for them to get rid of this subplot because I love how jealous Captain Wentworth gets of Mr Elliot.
  • How on earth would they handle the letter scene?!

6. On a sadder web series related note, I've found out that East and West has been cancelled because of one of its creators having mental health issues. E&W was a web series adaptation of Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South. The few episodes that it had were wonderful and showed a lot of promise. I wish the creators all the best and I hope that someone else will now make an attempt at adapting the book.

7. Agent Carter is finally getting shown on UK television! :) I've heard such great things about the show and hopefully this will mean that we'll get Daredevil soon.

8. Here's a trailer for a film I'm really looking forward to!


9. And another!


10. Over the past few Sunday nights I've been watching the BBC's adaptation of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. I'm a massive fan of the book - it's my favourite fantasy novel after The Lord of the Rings! - but I've got pretty mixed feelings on what I've seen of the miniseries so far. I'm really not happy with the portrayals of Lady Pole, Stephen Black and the Gentleman but I looove Enzo Cilenti's Childermass and Bertie Carvel's Jonathan Strange. Jonathan is adorable and hilarious and Childermass has the best exasperated facial expressions :D And I can't wait to see the Raven King. They'd better not mess him up or I swear *cracks knuckles*

11 comments:

Amanda said...

AAHH Northanger Abbey vlog! I'm so glad you posted this because I hadn't subscribed and I would have completely missed it! I've fixed that now and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
But I see what you're saying about Persuasion. It's more mature than the other books and it would probably lose more than some other Austen books.
Aww, I'm sad about East and West, too, though I can't say I'm totally surprised that it's being dropped since it's been so long since any videos were posted.

Aibhilin (Evelyn) said...

Hold up! ER is in the movie! * slowly closes laptop lid slightly*

*makes sure mum and dad are out like they said they would be*



























OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHMYGOSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH




















YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY






















*Squeaks*
















This . Is. Perfect!! :D

Hannah said...

Amanda - I thought you'd enjoy the NA mention ;)

Ooh, yes, you've reminded me of another reason why I wasn't keen on the idea of a Persuasion vlog. Anne is 27 in Austen's book which made her almost a spinster in Austen's time. Grr! Stupid Regency attitudes! *Can you tell I'm 27? :D * Anyway, if a vlog was to cast a 20 something actress to play Anne then this wouldn't come across.

Yeah, I had a feeling that E&W was going to get cancelled because they stopped posting any videos for such a long time but I was still disappointed.

Eeevie - YESSSSSSSSSS! :D *breaks out into my happy dance*

Manette said...

I found a box set of all of John Green's novels that only cost 20€ so of course I had to have it! I'm going to read them in order, I've finished "Looking for Alaska" so far.

I had to read "Silas Marner" for a BritLit course once and I hated it so much I'm kind of not enthusiastic to ready any George Eliot anytime soon... But everyone keeps talking about Middlemarch and Daniel Deronda so I wonder if I should reconsider.

I completely freaked out about Eddie Redmayne's casting as well! I'm going to take part in a live-action role-play set in the Harry Potter world (three days at the sea shore pretending to be a witch, I think it'll be quite awesome) and one of my friends is going to play an original character who's Newt Scamander's grandchild, so now she's over the moon because Eddie Redmayne is her grandpa xD

I am REALLY looking forward to those films as well. Macbeth is one of my favourite Shakespeare plays and the trailer looks fantastic – is Marion Cotillard even human or actually some kind of a super-human embodiment of elegant perfection?? As for Suffragette, there's a heck of a fantastic cast, ALEXANDRE DESPLAT'S MUSIC and quite a rare occurrence of a woman writer and director.

I wonder when they're going to show JS & MN in Finland! Have you noticed the super-long comment I made on your review of the book? :)

Hannah said...

Manette - That's a bargain! I think 'Paper Towns' is the one that comes after 'Looking for Alaska' so that should be your next JG book. I have to be honest, I've finished PT now and I really didn't like it :( It started off really well but after the first 80 pages of so it became a complete snoozefest. I was soooo disappointed because I really like John Green as a person and you know how much I loved 'The Fault in Our Stars'.

One of my best friends is a huge fan of 'Middlemarch' so I found out about George Eliot through her. I bought 'Daniel Deronda' because it sounded like the most interesting of her stories but then I came across an article which compared her to Virginia Woolf and that put me right off her. So DD's been sitting on my bookshelf ever since. But I did really love the TV adaptation!

Woah, woah, woah, what's this?! You're starring in a Harry Potter play by the seaside?! SOMEONE'S going to have a great summer!

Marion Cotillard would have made for one amazing elf/alien/angel! :D

Yes, I did read your comment and it was a brilliant one! I'm sorry I haven't replied to it yet! I'll get onto that very soon. And oh my WORD, I've been wanting to tell you this: Episode 4 of 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' was FANTASTIC! Definitely the best episode they've done so far! And I continue to love Bertie Carvel's Jonathan. Someone wrote a review of the episode on Tumblr where they pointed out that BC shows about three conflicting emotions all at once in one scene and it was so true! *sighs happily* Eddie Marsan is being very good as Norrell as well but I'm much, much more of a Strange-ite than I am a Norrell-ite :D I relate to Strange a lot better than I do Norrell. Norrell's an interesting character to read and watch but I know he'd drive me mad if I was ever to meet him. I feel quite sorry for Strange and Childermass for having to put up with him tbh!

Hamlette said...

Wait... someone compared George Eliot to Virginia Woolf? Er, what? Well, they do both have that sort of women-need-to-be-less-downtrodden thing going on, I guess? But I'm in the middle of GE's Middlemarch and loving it, whereas VW gives me headaches. I don't think there's any comparison, really.

BTW, was it you that was going to/hoping to see Benedict Cumberbatch in Hamlet this fall? I know one of my blogging friends who lives in the UK was, and I'm thinking it was you... Anyway, I just learned yesterday that they'll be doing a broadcast of it at movie theaters around the world in October, including one only about 45 minutes from my house, so I'm going to get to see that, at least! :-D

Hannah said...

Hamlette - Yes, I certainly did mention it and I'm so excited for you! I'll definitely look forward to hearing your views on it!

I don't like Virginia Woolf either and I'm really not a fan of stream of consciousness/modernist literature. I find most of it hugely pretentious to be honest. The only modernist writer that I've come across and actually liked has been T.S. Eliot. I'm relieved to hear that GE is nothing like her after all! :)

Hamlette said...

Oh goodness, no! George Eliot is not modernist like Virginia Woolf at all. Granted, I have only read Silas Marner many years ago and most of Middlemarch right now, but she's like... hmm. She's like Jane Austen's biting social commentary mixed with Charles Dickens' concern for the downtrodden, with Charlotte Bronte's insight into restricted female identity mixed in.

I'm so excited about the Hamlet! :-D

Hannah said...

You know when they include those glowing quotes from reviewers onto book covers? Someone really ought to put what you've just written about George Eliot onto one of her books because you've made her sound awesome! :D

And I know! This new production of Hamlet is so, so exciting!!!

Hamlette said...

Lol! Maybe I should copy and paste that for future use, like when I finally finish Middlemarch and review it?

SO exciting because not only is it BC as Claudius, but Ciaran Hinds as Claudius? I'm sure he's going to be awesome too!!!

Hannah said...

Yes, I'm predicting that both BC and CH will get Olivier nominations! :)