Tuesday, 8 September 2015

Bookish and Not So Bookish Thoughts

(c) Lianne @ EclecticTales.com

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things they've encountered during the week, etc)

1. It feels like a long time since I've done one of these! Since my last Bookish... post the books that I've read and loved have been Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, L.M. Montgomery's The Blue Castle, Jane Austen's Mansfield Park (re-read) and Arthur Conan Doyle's His Last Bow.

2. I'm currently reading Homer's The Odyssey. It's the sequel to The Iliad (which I hated!) but so far I haven't found it to be as bad as that one. And once I'm done with The Odyssey I think I'll be re-reading Jane Austen's Emma. At around Christmas time last year I decided to re-read all of Jane Austen's six novels with the aim of making some kind of a ranking post, only it's taken me a long time to get round to some of them. Emma's the last of the books that I have left to re-read.

3. I'll be taking part in some upcoming blog events fairly soon. The first of these events is the Tolkien Party of Special Magnificence which is an annual event by my blogger friend Hamlette that runs from the 22nd to the 28th of September. The second event is also by Hamlette and is a group read-along of the play Hamlet that will be starting from the 1st of October. Hamlet is my favourite Shakespeare play so I'm very much looking forward to it :) Before the read-along starts I'll definitely be re-watching the David Tennant version of the play and I'll also be seeing the live screening of The Barbican/Benedict Cumberbatch Hamlet on the 9th of October (more on that in a moment!) If you're interested in joining either of Hamlette's blog events yourself you can click on this link for more information.



4. On the 30th of August I got to meet up with my friend Samara! As I mentioned in my last Bookish... post her friend had managed to win two tickets to see the Barbican's Hamlet and I got to meet Samara and her friend Cami on the day they came over to London! It was such a lovely day and I noticed that Samara's put a picture of the two of us on her Instagram page :D I'm on the left in the picture if you want to click on the link.

5. Last night my mum and I came back from our holiday to Italy! :) We stayed in Florence but we also went on day-trips to Pisa, Siena, San Gimignano and Venice. We had an amazing time. We loved all of the places that we went to but our favourite was San Gimignano - a gorgeous medieval town with some stunning views of the Tuscan countryside :) I took some photos there but they really don't do the place justice.





6. Here's a cool story... well, I thought it was really cool! My brother wasn't at all impressed! Anyway, when we were at Florence airport waiting to check in for our flight back to London my mum and I got talking to a lovely Australian woman. Our conversation then went something like this...

Mum: "So have you ever been to London before?"
Lovely Australian Woman: "No, this is my first time! My cousin's son lives in London though. Don't ask me where because I couldn't tell you! He's a film director. We're very proud of him. His last one opened at the Cannes film festival but it doesn't come out in the cinemas until October"
Me: "Is he... is he called Justin Kurzel?!"
LAW: "Yes! Have you heard of him?!"
Me: "YES!"

Then I told her about how much I'm looking forward to his Macbeth film with Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard :)

7. I'm not back at work until Friday so today's been quite a nice leisurely day. I've caught up on the episodes of From Mansfield with Love that I missed while I was away. They've reached the Portsmouth arc of the story now and I'm loving Frankie's interactions with Will and Susan Price ("Susie"). I love this adaptation so much! I've done a little bit of online shopping today as well. I bought series one of Poldark and Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella - looking forward to re-watching them again! - and I also bought the film Testament of Youth which I've been wanting to watch for ages.


8. Tomorrow or on Thursday I'm planning to go to the cinema to see The Man from U.N.C.L.E and/or The Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials. I also want to write a long-overdue letter to another blogger friend and I might do some baking in the week too. 

7 comments:

Reading in the Dark said...

1) Nice choices!
2) I don't know how you hated The Iliad, but I hope you like The Odyssey. It's a bit different--less war, more adventure.
3) These read-alongs will be great, and I'm super jealous that you get to see Hamlet!
6) I'm significantly impressed. That movie will be awesome.

Hannah said...

1) Thank you! :)

2) Ah, well, I lost the will to live when I read 'The Iliad!' So much of that book consists of people getting brutally slaughtered on the battlefield and yet I still managed to find it about as interesting as watching paint dry. And the only character that I actually really liked in that story was Hector and he got murdered by that despicable Achilles who then tried to mutilate his body. I got so upset at the part where Achilles tried to get his dogs to eat Hector's face that I couldn't bring myself to finish the rest of the book :( But 'The Odyssey' has been okay so far. I'm not loving it but I am finding the story more interesting than 'The Iliad', and Odysseus and Telemachus are more sympathetic than Achilles so far.

6) I know! I'm even more excited about the movie than I was before and I was super excited then! :D

Lianne @ eclectictales.com said...

Glad you had a lovely time in Italy! San Gimignano is a treasure of a place; some of my best memories of Italy was from staying there :)

Sooooooooooooo cool that you're going to see Benedict Cumberbatch in Hamlet! I hope you post your thoughts on the production, I'm curious to hear how he approaches the character. I know I just re-read the play earlier this year but I wish I could take part in the read-along, but I'm already re-reading Macbeth (again) for an article I'm writing xD

I've been meaning to re-read The Odyssey. I read it in first year uni but yeah, I wanted to revist that book, get around to The Iliad at some point (currently sitting on my brother's shelf).

Reading in the Dark said...

After I posted my comment, I realized that a good portion of my enjoyment of The Iliad was due to the enthusiasm of my World Lit professor. So I can't really blame you. I remember reading some of those parts at home and thinking, "What the heck?!" and then I'd get to class and she'd have me totally on board with anything she wanted us to read and discuss. lol Plus the class discussion was always so lively. Even if I dislike a piece of literature, I guess I always appreciate it for its ability to encourage intellectually stimulating conversation. :) I'm glad you're enjoying The Odyssey a little more. I need to re-read them.

Hamlette said...

Thanks for the shout-outs! I'm working on games for the Tolkien party right now, which is always so much fun :-D

And I find it totally unfair that you get to see the Cumberbatch Hamlet almost a week before me! It's not here until Oct. 15. Getting excited for that! And for the read-along -- I'm so glad I pushed it back from the summer, because now it coincides with me seeing that in theaters, and also I have a Femnista article about Gertrude due that month, so it'll be a very Hamlety October all around for me :-)

And I just read The Blue Castle last week! What a coincidence.

Hannah said...

Lianne
I know! I wish we could have stayed there overnight - because I've heard that San Gimignano has a very different atmosphere at night - but we had a wonderful time there regardless!

Oh, I'll definitely be posting some thoughts on the Benedict Cumberbatch production! Maybe not in an in-depth review but I'd at least like to talk about in another one of these Bookish posts. What's that article that you're writing about on 'Macbeth'? :)

Hannah
Fair enough! It sounds like you had a pretty great teacher! I'm finished with 'The Odyssey' now. I don't think I'll be reviewing it so I'll just let you know that I didn't hate 'The Odyssey' anywhere near as much as 'The Iliad' but that I still didn't like it very much :( I did enjoy some of the adventure parts in the story but then I completely lost all interest in the book once Odysseus got back to Ithaca. There's actually some talk of a movie adaptation with Hugh Jackman as Odysseus right now. If that actually gets made I think I'd probably like it better than the book to be honest!

Hamlette
Erm, I'm actually seeing Hamlet on the 15th, same day as you. I got my dates mixed up. *sheepish grin* I might be seeing the new Star Wars film before you though! They announced sometime last week that it's coming out in the UK a day earlier than in the US!

I'd be interested to know what you think about Gertrude. One of the reasons why I'm especially looking forward to your read-along is so I can get to know all of the secondary characters in the play better. The first time I read the play I was so fascinated by Hamlet's character that I didn't give the other characters in the play much of a thought.

I've said it before but I am SO glad that you loved The Blue Castle!

Hamlette said...

I'm sure you'll be seeing Star Wars first because I learned my lesson the last couple years and have given up on going to see a movie in the 2 weeks before Christmas. My movie theater is attached to a mall, when I went to see "The Battle of the Five Armies" last year, I ended up missing the first 20 minutes because I couldn't find a parking space for so long. Ugh. So unless Cowboy drops me off or something, I will be waiting to see it until after Christmas.