|(c) Lianne @ EclecticTales.com|
Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things they've encountered during the week, etc)
1. It feels like a long time since I've done one of these! Since my last Bookish... post the books that I've read and loved have been Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, L.M. Montgomery's The Blue Castle, Jane Austen's Mansfield Park (re-read) and Arthur Conan Doyle's His Last Bow.
2. I'm currently reading Homer's The Odyssey. It's the sequel to The Iliad (which I hated!) but so far I haven't found it to be as bad as that one. And once I'm done with The Odyssey I think I'll be re-reading Jane Austen's Emma. At around Christmas time last year I decided to re-read all of Jane Austen's six novels with the aim of making some kind of a ranking post, only it's taken me a long time to get round to some of them. Emma's the last of the books that I have left to re-read.
3. I'll be taking part in some upcoming blog events fairly soon. The first of these events is the Tolkien Party of Special Magnificence which is an annual event by my blogger friend Hamlette that runs from the 22nd to the 28th of September. The second event is also by Hamlette and is a group read-along of the play Hamlet that will be starting from the 1st of October. Hamlet is my favourite Shakespeare play so I'm very much looking forward to it :) Before the read-along starts I'll definitely be re-watching the David Tennant version of the play and I'll also be seeing the live screening of The Barbican/Benedict Cumberbatch Hamlet on the 9th of October (more on that in a moment!) If you're interested in joining either of Hamlette's blog events yourself you can click on this link for more information.
4. On the 30th of August I got to meet up with my friend Samara! As I mentioned in my last Bookish... post her friend had managed to win two tickets to see the Barbican's Hamlet and I got to meet Samara and her friend Cami on the day they came over to London! It was such a lovely day and I noticed that Samara's put a picture of the two of us on her Instagram page :D I'm on the left in the picture if you want to click on the link.
5. Last night my mum and I came back from our holiday to Italy! :) We stayed in Florence but we also went on day-trips to Pisa, Siena, San Gimignano and Venice. We had an amazing time. We loved all of the places that we went to but our favourite was San Gimignano - a gorgeous medieval town with some stunning views of the Tuscan countryside :) I took some photos there but they really don't do the place justice.
6. Here's a cool story... well, I thought it was really cool! My brother wasn't at all impressed! Anyway, when we were at Florence airport waiting to check in for our flight back to London my mum and I got talking to a lovely Australian woman. Our conversation then went something like this...
Mum: "So have you ever been to London before?"
Lovely Australian Woman: "No, this is my first time! My cousin's son lives in London though. Don't ask me where because I couldn't tell you! He's a film director. We're very proud of him. His last one opened at the Cannes film festival but it doesn't come out in the cinemas until October"
Me: "Is he... is he called Justin Kurzel?!"
LAW: "Yes! Have you heard of him?!"
Then I told her about how much I'm looking forward to his Macbeth film with Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard :)
7. I'm not back at work until Friday so today's been quite a nice leisurely day. I've caught up on the episodes of From Mansfield with Love that I missed while I was away. They've reached the Portsmouth arc of the story now and I'm loving Frankie's interactions with Will and Susan Price ("Susie"). I love this adaptation so much! I've done a little bit of online shopping today as well. I bought series one of Poldark and Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella - looking forward to re-watching them again! - and I also bought the film Testament of Youth which I've been wanting to watch for ages.
8. Tomorrow or on Thursday I'm planning to go to the cinema to see The Man from U.N.C.L.E and/or The Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials. I also want to write a long-overdue letter to another blogger friend and I might do some baking in the week too.