Tuesday, 10 November 2015

Top Ten Tuesday



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers. 10 is just a suggestion to aim for if you can hit it -- do a list of 3 or 5 or 20 on your list. Your post, your choice!


Today's Topic: Top Ten Book To Movie Adaptations I'm Looking Forward To or Ten Book To Movie Adaptations I Still Need To Watch.

My first Top Ten Tuesday post! I've been wanting to do another book blogging meme/challenge for a while now (in addition to the Classics Club and Bookish and Not So Bookish Thoughts). And since I'm very fond of making lists and have seen quite a few of the bloggers that I follow do TTT posts in the past I thought this particular meme would be fun to do. I'm not going to be doing these posts every single Tuesday though, I'll only be doing them when the particular topic of the day happens to interest me as today's did. To anyone who's reading my blog for the first time: Hello! :)

I thought I'd tackle both of the questions in today's topic but to split them in two. To start with I'm going to do Eight Book to Movie Adaptations that I'm Looking Forward To. I've cheated a bit though by including miniseries adaptations! In no particular order:

1. War and Peace. This is a miniseries adaptation of Tolstoy's novel which has been written by Andrew Davies and co-produced by the BBC and the Weinstein Company. I haven't actually read the book yet but it's been on my TBR list ever since I read and loved Anna Karenina and I'm hoping that I can at least make a start on the book by the time the miniseries comes along. Nevertheless I'm really looking forward to this one! The trailer looks stunning, the cast is great (Lily James, Paul Dano, James Norton, Gillian Anderson, Jim Broadbent, etc...) and some of it was even filmed on location in Russia! It looks like it's going to be sooo much better than the recent big-screen Anna Karenina adaptation (which I found extremely disappointing).


2. My Cousin Rachel. This is going to be a big-screen adaptation of the excellent Daphne du Maurier novel and it will be starring Sam Claflin and Rachel Weisz. There was a previous film adaptation made in the 1950s with Richard Burton and Olivia de Havilland starring but du Maurier wasn't happy with the film because she felt that de Havilland was completely miscast ("too wholesome") and because of that I've never bothered to seek it out. So I was very happy when this new adaptation was announced! Rachel Weisz should make a terrific Rachel (Hey! A Rachel playing a Rachel!) and after seeing Claflin's acting in The Hunger Games I now think much more highly of him as an actor than I used to :)

3. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. A Harry Potter spin-off, this will be the first in a film trilogy and will feature the adventures of Newt Scamander (the author of one of Harry's text-books) in 1920s' New York! :D I am so ridiculously excited about this one! I'm not expecting this film to be on a par with the Harry Potter books but I'm confident that I'm going to like it much more than the film adaptations. J.K. Rowling has actually written the script for this one, it's got an amazingly cool setting, it's starring Eddie Redmayne (who I love and was J.K. Rowling's first choice for the role), and it will hopefully, hopefully lead to other Harry Potter spin-offs! I'm still holding out for Marauders and Hogwarts Founders spin-offs, J.K!

4. And Then There Were None. This is a new miniseries adaptation of the Agatha Christie novel by the BBC to mark the 125th anniversary of Christie's birth. The book is awesome and the cast for this new adaptation is brilliant! Charles Dance, Aidan Turner, Miranda Richardson, Anna Maxwell Martin, Sam Neill, etc... :D

5. The Kingkiller Chronicle. This high fantasy series by Patrick Rothfuss looks well-set to be the next Game of Thrones as it's recently landed both a film and a TV series adaptation! Some of you may recall my flailing about The Kingkiller Chronicle earlier in the year. The first book in the series, The Name of the Wind, is an amazing novel and although its sequel The Wise Man's Fear wasn't quite as good (as it dragged in places) that book was still pretty darn awesome as well. It's fair to say that I'm excited!

6. Beauty and the Beast. Disney's new adaptation of the Beauty and the Beast fairytale. I know that there are a lot of people out there are unhappy with Disney right now because of their current phase of re-making some of their old classics and I can understand why - but that still doesn't change the fact that I flat-out adored their new version of Cinderella (such a wonderful film... so much heart and sincerity and so beautifully-acted!) and that I'm extremely excited about their new version of Beauty and the Beast! Emma Watson, Dan Stevens, Emma Thompson, Luke Evans, Kevin Kline, Ian McKellan, Ewan McGregor, Josh Gad, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Audra MacDonald, Stanley Tucci, Hattie Morahan, Adrian Schiller... the cast is incredible!

7. Oliver. Two years ago I wrote a post about my excitement about this project (and ended up making a great blogger friend out of it - massive result! :D) Now it looks like this project is finally going to happen! Cameron Mackintosh has spent the past two years trying to make a new adaptation of Oliver the Musical (which is of course an adaptation of Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist) and now it's recently reported that Toby Haynes has been approached to direct. I really hope this happens! Haynes is a brilliant director and if he does end up directing a new adaptation of Oliver I imagine it's very likely that Bertie Carvel will have a role in this film somewhere! And since Mackintosh would be involved in this production as well, Samantha Barks would probably be playing Nancy!

8. Brooklyn. This is an adaptation of a book that I haven't actually read but the trailer for it looked so wonderful that I knew I had to see it. In fact I'm seeing it tonight! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And now, Two Book-to-Movie Adaptations That I Still Need to Watch. These are two adaptations of books that I love very much but just haven't got round to watching yet.

1. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962). I can't believe I haven't seen this film yet! Not only is it one of my dad's favourite films, the novel by Harper Lee is one of my favourite books and I've read it multiple times. But, yeah, I just haven't got round to this film yet...

2. David Copperfield (2000). David Copperfield is probably my favourite Dickens novel (well, it's either that or A Tale of Two Cities) but up until recently I hadn't even seen an adaptation of it. Then I saw the 1999 BBC adaptation. Even though that version was fairly accurate to the book and had an absolutely superb Dame Maggie Smith as Betsey Trotwood I still found it disappointing. I just found it pretty dull and, honestly, Ciaran McMenamin was a block of wood as adult David. This adaptation looks more promising though I think - I love Hugh Dancy! :) - and I'm planning to watch it once I get round to re-reading the book.



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - And that's my list for this week! So, what are the adaptations that you're looking forward to? Are there still adaptations that you want to see but just haven't got round to yet? Does my list have any thing in common with yours?

8 comments:

Captivated Reader said...

Nice list!! I realize now that I forgot to add The Book Thief to my list this week too as I still have to read this book or watch the movie adaptation.

Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/11/top-ten-tuesday-ten-book-to-movie.html

proxyfish said...

Wow, I didn't realise War and Peace had been made into a TV series! Andrew Davies has done some amazing adaptations so I definitely have some high expectations now - very exciting!!

Really looking forward to Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them and I LOVE The Kingkiller Chronicles. Yay!

My TTT

Hamlette said...

It seems like every time someone posts about the new Beauty and the Beast, I learn that someone else I like is in it! My goodness, even if the movie isn't as wonderful as the new Cinderella (and honestly, I'm not expecting it to be because Cinderella was so delightful), I'm going to have to see it for the cast.

And Then There Were None looks quite cool! As does Fantastic Beasts.

samara said...

Wow!! Such fantastic sounding adaptations - and some I hadn't heard of. A lot to look forward to :D

How was Brooklyn?

IloveHeartlandX said...

So excited for Beauty and The Beast too!
My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/11/10/top-ten-tuesday-30/

Hannah said...

Captivated Reader - Thanks! I forgot to put 'Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children' on this list. I was going to edit it in but then I wasn't sure which of my choices I should take out for it so in the end I decided to leave it.

proxyfish - Yes, I've really enjoyed most of Andrew Davies's adaptations and his version of 'War and Peace'looks great! Although personally I'd advise you to stay well away from his version of 'A Room with a View' if you haven't already seen it (he completely changed the ending!)

Yes, I'm so happy that you love The Kingkiller Chronicle! I only know one other person who's read the books!

Hamlette - It's tough! I don't much care for Disney's original 'Cinderella' and I thought the new version was a massive improvement on it whereas Disney's original 'B&tB' is one of my favourites. My hopes are still extremely high about B&tB though because of its cast and because they're keeping the original's songs.

Samara - I loved Brooklyn! The script was fantastic - both hilarious and moving - and I'll be shocked if Saoirse Ronan doesn't receive an Oscar nomination because she was just brilliant in it. Luminous. Yep, I really, really loved it alright :)

Heartland - I know! How will we cope till 2017???

samara said...

I agree - I think / hope there will be Oscar nominations both for Saorsie Ronan as well as for the cinematography and maybe adapted screenplay too (Nick Hornby is quite fabulous with female characters...and also I think I need to read the book)

Hannah said...

Samara, yes and I also really hope that Odile Dicks-Mireaux and Emory Cohen (I loved his character in the film so much!) will both get nominations for Best Costume and Best Supporting Actor. And I think I'll probably get round to the book at some point but I'm not in any particular rush.