Tuesday, 17 November 2015

Top Ten Tuesday


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers. 10 is just a suggestion to aim for if you can hit it -- do a list of 3 or 5 or 20 on your list. Your post, your choice!


Today's Topic: Top Ten Quotes I Loved From Books I Read In The Past Year Or So

Here are quotes from some of the books that I've loved reading this year :)




“I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone, I think and plan. Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice when they would be lost on others. Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice, indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating, in F. W. I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look, will be enough to decide whether I enter your father's house this evening or never.”  1. Persuasion by Jane Austen
*sigh* The most romantic love letter in fiction! If anyone's failed to be moved by it, well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that you're dead inside but are you quite sure that you're alive?!

"It isn't possible to love and to part. You will wish that it was. You can transmute love, ignore it, muddle it, but you can never pull it out of you. I know by experience that the poets are right: love is eternal”
2. A Room with View by E.M. Forster



“Each time you happen to me all over again.”
3. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

"[he was] bursting with the belated eloquence of the inarticulate.”
4. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
I tried to include only one quote for each book but I couldn't help myself here! I love this quote, I often feel this way.



“I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep. You may have heard of me.” 
5. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Kvothe is an absolute badass!

"Stuff your eyes with wonder, he said, live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.”
6. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury





“Love you! Girl, you're in the very core of my heart. I hold you there like a jewel. Didn't I promise you I'd never tell you a lie? Love you! I love you with all there is of me to love. Heart, soul, brain. Every fibre of body and spirit thrilling to the sweetness of you. There's nobody in the world for me but you, Valancy.”
7. The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery

“A fondness for reading, properly directed, must be an education in itself.” 
8. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen





“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
9. Hamlet by William Shakespeare

“You're alive, Bod. That means you have infinite potential. You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you can change the world, the world will change. Potential. Once you're dead, it's gone. Over. You've made what you've made, dreamed your dream, written your name. You may be buried here, you may even walk. But that potential is finished.”
10. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
So... do any of those quotes speak to you? Are you a fan of any of these books?

5 comments:

Stardust Words said...

oh wow I love all of these!! I am absolutely in love with Jane Austen, and Mansfield Park is my number one favorite of her novels, so I am happy to see a quote from it on here! Great post :)
Here's my TTT!!!

Mariela Silva said...

I had The Name of the Wind in my TBR list for a very long time, and that quote and you comment about the character made me want to get the book right now, so after I am done posting this comment I am heading to amazon to buy it. I do not need it because Christmas is coming and I have bought a lot of books for the past 2 weeks but one more book will not hurt.

Great list, lass!
This is our Top Ten Tuesday.
http://justusbookblog.blogspot.com/2015/11/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-quotes.html

Lianne @ eclectictales.com said...

Lovely selection of quotes! Wentworth's letter to Anne gets me every time, lol <3 I'm determined to re-read The Name of the Wind soon as The Wise Man's Fear has been sitting on my TBR queue forever and a day, lol.

My TTT

Carrie said...

ohhhh that Persuasion quote really is just so wonderful :) My TTT

Hannah said...

Stardust - Aw, you're welcome! :) I'm a massive Jane Austen fan as well. 'Pride and Prejudice', 'Persuasion' and 'Northanger Abbey' are my favourites out of her novels but I still really like 'Mansfield Park'.

Mariela - I really, really hope that you'll enjoy it! And oh wow, that IS an honour! Makes me feel like I'm making a difference to the world in some small way! :)

Lianne - I know, it's so wonderful! 'The Wise Man's Fear' is great BTW. I wouldn't say that it's as good as 'The Name of the Wind' - because I found some sections of it a bit draggy - but overall I still really loved the book and I can't wait for 'The Doors of Stone'.

Carrie - Yes, another 'Persuasion' fan! And thanks so much for visiting and making a comment :)