Tuesday, 1 December 2015

Top Ten Tuesday


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers. 10 is just a suggestion to aim for if you can hit it -- do a list of 3 or 5 or 20 on your list. Your post, your choice!

Today's Topic: Top Ten Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Under My Tree This Year

The topic of the day is really Top Ten 2016 Debut Novels We're Looking Forward To but instead I've just picked one of the later TTT topics and wrote about it early as I might be busy later on in the month. I couldn't really answer the genuine topic of the day either as I never bother to find out about the books which are tipped to be the "next big thing". I actually tend to be very suspicious about books which receive a lot of hype before they've even been published (although having said that some of the books that the other bloggers have mentioned do sound quite interesting).

So instead of some 2016 debuts, here are some books that I'm planning on reading during the next year. I'm really looking forward to them all and I would be very happy to find them under my Christmas tree! :) So in no particular order...




1. Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz.
This is the sequel to The House of Silk which is a Sherlock Holmes pastiche novel. I thought that book was fantastic so I'm really looking to this one! Unlike The House of Silk, I've heard that Sherlock Holmes and John Watson don't actually appear in Moriarty. The book is merely set in the Sherlock Holmes universe and focuses on original characters. When I first found out about that I was pretty disappointed because Horowitz did such a stellar job with Holmes and Watson's characters in The House of Silk. However, the reviews for Moriarty have still been very positive and some have even said that it was better than The House of Silk!

2. Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.
This book has been on my radar for ages but the upcoming Tim Burton adaptation has finally spurred me on to reading it. To be honest I don't think I've liked any of Burton's films since The Corpse Bride but I'd still like to see this film because of its cast. It's starring Asa Butterfield, Eva Green, Samuel L. Jackson and Judi Dench  :)



3. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery.
I loved LMM's The Blue Castle when I read that book earlier this year so now I'm planning on reading the entire Anne of Green Gables series in 2016. I never actually got to read any of the books when I was growing up so they'll all be new to me!

4. Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.
This is the first book in a high fantasy series and, out of all of the books in this list, is probably the one that I'm most looking forward to! I've heard such great things about it and it sounds like something I would absolutely love! :D




5. The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham.
This is a fairly recent addition to my TBR list but I've heard a lot of great things about this book and its recent film adaptation (the one starring Edward Norton and Naomi Watts). 

6. The Once and Future King by T.H. White.
This is a classic in the Arthurian fantasy genre (and in the fantasy genre in general) and the Disney film The Sword in the Stone was based on the first part of the book. I haven't seen that film in many years but it was one of my favourites by Disney when I was a child and it was basically my introduction to Arthurian mythology. After that I didn't really encounter the stories again until about three years ago when I started to watch the BBC's Merlin. I fell in love with that show and it re-ignited my interest in the mythology :)






7. The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell.
I'm not really a huge reader of non-fiction but I'm pretty interested in this book because Joseph Campbell's writings on storytelling and the monomyth were a massive influence on George Lucas, Neil Gaiman and Joss Whedon.

8. Attachments OR Eleanor and Park OR Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.
I've heard a lot of great things about Rainbow Rowell's works but at the moment I'm not sure which of her books I should be starting off with. I'll definitely be reading at least one of these books in 2016, I'm just not sure which one of them it will be!



9. The Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer (Audiobook).
I love Richard Armitage, I love Georgette Heyer, and Richard Armitage has recorded three audiobooks of Georgette Heyer's novels :D I've listened to two of the audiobooks so far (Venetia and Sylvester) and have really loved them but I've still got The Convenient Marriage to look forward to.

10. Burial Rites by Hannah Kent.
This book is another fairly recent addition to my TBR list. It was written by an Australian author but is a historical novel set in Iceland. It's about Agnes Magnusdottir who was the last woman to be executed in the country. Its reviews have been wonderful!

And now for some questions! Have you read any of these? What books are you looking forward to reading next year? :)

4 comments:

Jillian said...

ANNE OF GREEN GABLES is SO GOOD. :)

Amanda said...

^ I agree with Jillian. :D I read/listened to the first book more than once when I was little (my fifth grade teacher was a huge fan - she's made the pilgrimage to Prince Edward Island and everything), but I didn't really fall in love with the story until I rediscovered the series when I was in high school. I reread the first few again this fall and I think they just get more charming every time I read them.
I also adore The Once and Future King. I haven't read any of the others, but I think I'm getting some ideas for my own TBR list :)

Lianne @ eclectictales.com said...

Oh man you listed so many good books here! Burial Rites (a favourite read from last year!), The Final Empire (one of my favourite fantasy novels ever), The Painted Veil (alllllll the feels), The Convenient Marriage (one of my favourite Heyer books. Been meaning to check out Richard Armitage's recordings for Heyer's novels, I was pleasantly surprised to learn a few years ago that he recorded some audiobooks from her backlist)...I hope you find these books under your tree this Christmas! :)

Hannah said...

Jillian - Hehe, so I've heard! :D

Amanda - Hi! Yes, I'm really looking forward to 'Anne of Green Gables' and 'The Once and Future King'. And aw, thank you! I always love recommending books to people :)

Lianne - Thank you! I actually had a bit of a book-buying splurge today and got 'Anne of Green Gables', 'The Final Empire' and 'The Painted Veil' :) I don't expect I'll get around to any of them until 2016 but I'm still happy that I've got them. And I would definitely recommend Richard Armitage's Heyer recordings!