Tuesday, 15 December 2015

Top Ten Tuesday


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers. 10 is just a suggestion to aim for if you can hit it -- do a list of 3 or 5 or 20 on your list. Your post, your choice!


Today's Topic: Top Ten Best Books I Read in 2015 (you can do it by only 2015 releases, overall, by genre (top ten fantasy books I read in 2015), etc. however you choose to make your BEST list)


I'm in a very good mood today! The first trailer for Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them was released this morning and on Thursday night I'm going to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens! :D

 Today I'm also going to name my overall favourite books of 2015. My choices shouldn't be much of a surprise to my regular readers who'll probably recall my flailing over them earlier in the year :) 




In their alphabetical order:

  1. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (1920, REVIEW)
  2. The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery (1926, REVIEW)
  3. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (2001, REVIEW)
  4. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (1953, REVIEW
  5. The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz (2011, REVIEW)
  6. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (2007, REVIEW)
  7. A Room with a View by E.M. Forster (1908, REVIEW)
  8. Summer by Edith Wharton (1917, REVIEW)
  9. The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer (1936, REVIEW)
  10. William Shakespeare's Star Wars: The Jedi Doth Return by Ian Doescher (2014, REVIEW)

Honourable Mentions: I loved The Wise Man's Fear (the sequel to The Name of the Wind) but not so much that I had to include it in my list. I also started The Lunar Chronicles this year and although I have mixed feelings about that series I did really love the second book, Scarlet. Finally, I wanted my top ten list list to only include new reads but I did re-read some of my old favourites this year and loved them just as much as ever: Jane Austen's PersuasionNeil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, Diana Wynne Jones' Howl's Moving Castle, and Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes canon. 

Now for some questions: Has anyone read any of these? What books made it onto your list? And based on the books that I've chosen what books would you recommend I read next year? :)

4 comments:

Reading in the Dark said...

Nice choices! I read The Age of Innocence a long time ago and enjoyed it, although I never got around to reading anything else by Edith Wharton. I'd like to try some of her short stories. And A Room with a View is one of my favorites now! The movie version of that is fantastic as well, if you haven't seen it. I would recommend The Dark Flower by John Galsworthy. He's well-known for The Forsyte Saga, but this dark tale about love is perfect if you like The Age of Innocence. At least, in my opinion. The writing style is not quite so formal, but Galsworthy's writing is beautiful.

Lianne @ eclectictales.com said...

Great list! I'm making it a priority to re-read The Name of the Wind early next year so that I can finally read Wise Man's Fear--I've been stalling on that forever, lmao xD

My TTT

Hamlette said...

The Blue Castle was on my list this year too! It is soooooo splendid. Amazing. Delicious. Addictive. Wow.

Hmm. I also love The Eyre Affair and Fahrenheit 451 and A Room with a View. The Shakespeare Star Wars books are pretty funny. Have you read any of Jasper Fforde's other books? I really liked his Nursery Crime series.

Hannah said...

Reading in the Dark - Thanks! If you're looking for a shorter story by Wharton 'Summer' is one of her novellas and I really loved that, far more than I was expecting to. That book's set in a very different milieu to 'The Age of Innocence' but it still shares that wonderful writing and bittersweet, haunting quality. And I loved the movie adaptation of 'A Room with a View'!

Thanks for the book recommendation as well. I hadn't even heard of that book before but it sounds great. I'll have to look into it some more :)

Lianne - Cheers! And no pressure intended but I'd love to read your thoughts on 'The Name of the Wind' and 'The Wise Man's Fear'!

Hamlette - Ooh, no, I've only heard of Fforde's Thursday Next books! I'll have to look into those Nursery Crime books. Thanks!