Friday, 1 January 2016

Bookish and Not So Bookish Thoughts

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things they've encountered during the week, etc)



1. Happy new year everyone! I'm riding high on a wave of optimism and positivity right now and I almost feel like I could do anything! I hope all of my readers feel the same and if not I pray that you soon will be :)

2. It's been about four months since my last Bookish and Not So Bookish post (I didn't mean to leave it that long!) and I honestly can't recall doing anything particularly interesting during those first three months. My December was fantastic though! I got to see a musical for the first time in over a year when the UK tour of Guys and Dolls came to my hometown. Having now seen that show I don't think I'd call it one of my absolute favourite musicals but I still had a really good time. I also saw my first ever ballet in December when I got to see The Nutcracker and that was an amazing experience. The Tchaikovsky score is wonderful, the dancing was mesmerising, and the production had some of the best sets that I've ever seen! But as amazing as that was the highlight of my December was undoubtedly....

3. THE FORCE AWAKENS! Oh Star Wars, how I love you... I had ridiculously high expectations about this film and yet it still managed to deliver. I won't give out any spoilers but J.J. Abrams completely nailed the tone and the gritty, earthy aesthetic of the original Star Wars trilogy (so much so that I can't help but wish he was directing Episode VIII) and the film was so funny and emotional and suspenseful! John Williams' music for it was as epic as ever. Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo Ren and even BB-8 are all wonderfully engaging and interesting characters. The entire cast gave brilliant performances in it although Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver were the stand-outs for me. I'm in love with TFA basically! My favourite Star Wars film is still The Empire Strikes Back but I love The Force Awakens just as much as the other two films in the original trilogy (in case you're wondering I refuse to consider the prequels as canon). I've seen TFA twice now, I've pre-ordered the DVD, I'm reading the novelisation of it at the moment (which I wouldn't much recommend to be honest, it's quite awkwardly-written and is nowhere near as fun as the film), and I can't wait for Rogue One and the other main saga films! I'll stop gushing about it now but TFA was my favourite film of the year. The other films I saw at the cinema and loved this year (in no particular order apart from the first one) were... Brooklyn, Cinderella, The Theory of Everything and Into the Woods. And yes, I have noticed that Domhnall Gleeson was in my two favourite films of the year :)

4. I have a major holiday announcement to make in this post as well... I'M GOING TO NEW YORK! It will be my first time in the city and my first ever visit to the United States! I'm going with my mother in mid-November and we'll be there for 4.5 days. We're planning on seeing and doing all of the major tourist stuff in Manhattan while we're there (the Statue of Liberty, Central Park, etc) and we'll be seeing something on Broadway although I don't know what that will be at this stage. I'd also like for us to spend a day in Brooklyn and to go to the Strand Bookstore while we're there. To be honest it hasn't fully sunk in yet that I'm going but I know I'll be very excited about my trip once it does!


5. And now I'll let you know about some bookish things. Well, I've finally gotten around to Tolstoy's War and Peace and I'm about 200 pages into it. I'm still going to be reading some other books on the side though. That isn't something that I usually like doing (I much prefer to only focus on one book at a time) but I think it's going to take me quite a while to finish the book and I don't want to go too long without posting any book reviews.

 6. Are there any fans of Diana Wynne Jones' Howl's Moving Castle reading this? I re-read that book a while ago (and finally got round to reading its sequels) and I love it! I'm hoping to finally put up my review of it sometime next week. Anyway, I love this fake fan-made live-action trailer of HMC so much that I thought I'd share it. As fond as I am of the Studio Ghibli film I'd be thrilled to see a new live-action adaptation of the book some day that was more faithful to its story.


7. My birthday will be coming up soon and I imagine I'll do what I usually do on my birthday which is to have dinner out with the family. I'd like to do some shopping on the day though and I'm quite tempted to buy the complete boxset of Avatar: The Last Airbender as a present for myself. I've been hearing a lot about that show recently and it sounds like something I would really love.

8. If you scroll up to the top of the home page you'll see that I've created a Features page that has links to my Classics Club list and all of my Top Ten Tuesday and Bookish and Not So Bookish Thoughts posts. I'm just trying to make my blog a little more user-friendly :)

9. I'm also trying to work out what I want to do with my social media at the moment. I have a Pinterest account that I'm very happy with (I'm on that website/app all the time!) but I'm toying with the idea of getting a Twitter account now as well. I did used to have a Twitter account but that was many years ago and I eventually de-activated it because I didn't have any other friends using that site at the time. But now I do know other people who use it so I'm thinking of starting a new account up again.

10. And just one more thing before I go, later on tonight I'm going to watch Sherlock's The Abominable Bride with a nice glass of wine :) Yay!

8 comments:

Miss Evie said...

Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!Star Wars!!


Can you tell I loved this film.. apart from you know Han's.. er demise.

I adore the Nutcracker having played in it on my Viola last year SO good.

SHERRRLOCCCCK! xD

AHH New York! YAS!

Do get Twitter =D

samara said...

Sooooo many smiles while reading this post!! And yes PLEASE join twitter! I see stuff on there all the time that I'm like "Oooh, Hannah would like this" or "I wonder what Hannah would think about this" but alas and alack, you're not on there...yet. :)

And YES to all your TFA thoughts. I think I'd rank them: V, IV, VII, VI - but yah I think V will always be my favorite!! And TFA keeps making me very happy indeed :D

Mònica said...

Oh, yes! We were so excited when we saw TFA! My little sister had never seen a Star Wars in theaters before, so she started getting *really* excited when the A Long Time Ago, in a Galaxy Far, Far, Away came up. Then the music started... and it was sooooo amazing!
[pant pant pant]
Glad you liked The Nutcracker! That score is fantastic, and I always don't like it when I see people slamming it just because commercials and Hallmark specials use it too much. Not the music's fault!
Oooh, Howl's Moving Castle is awesome. The book and the anime have a special place in my heart. But it will be really interesting to see how close to the book this new one will be!
Happy New Year, glad you're doing well! :D

Reading in the Dark said...

I finally saw The Force Awakens last night, and it was so good! Abrams isn't directing the next one? That's disappointing. I thought he did extremely well, too. And I've never been to New York, but here's a voice from the Midwest saying, "Welcome to the States!" I hope you have a good trip. :) I have a cousin who lives in New York and is a stage actor, but she doesn't do anything on Broadway.

Hannah said...

Samara - "Sooooo many smiles while reading this post!! And yes PLEASE join twitter! I see stuff on there all the time that I'm like "Oooh, Hannah would like this" or "I wonder what Hannah would think about this" but alas and alack, you're not on there...yet. :)"

Oh wow... I am *ridiculously* touched by that! Thank you! I guess this would be a good time to tell you that two things I now associate with you are Oxford and Chris Pratt (the Seattle connection!)

Ooh, ranking the SW movies... I think V will always be my fave SW movie (it's flawless imo!). Then after that I'd pick VI. I know most people think it's the weakest of the originals and I admit it has a few problems: I haaate Leia's slave bikini in that film and the Ewoks have lost most of their charm for me as an adult. But then Luke is my favourite character in the originals and I adore his character development in that film. His scenes with Vader and the Emperor are so powerful and moving! So that puts IV as my least fave of the original SW movies even though I still think it's absolutely wonderful. And as for VII... I think that film is now my second or third fave SW movie! It's just so brilliant!

Hannah said...

Monica - Yes! Amazing! And thank you, I hope you're doing well too! :) I feel really, really bad though because the HMC trailer is actually for a fake movie! I've edited my post now so it's clearer. I'm so sorry!

Reading in the Dark - So much Star Wars love right now! And yeah... Abrams is staying on as a producer but he won't be directing Episode VIII and IX. I'm still hugely excited about VIII of course but I'd be even more excited if he stayed on to direct. Thanks for wishing me a good trip btw. I hope you'll get to see the city some day. And your cousin is a stage actor in the city?! What a life!

Miss Evie said...

Sorry if I freaked you out I was high on coffee :)

samara said...

I am beyond chuffed to be associated with Oxford and Chris Pratt :) :) :) What an honor <3