Tuesday, 5 January 2016

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers. 10 is just a suggestion to aim for if you can hit it -- do a list of 3 or 5 or 20 on your list. Your post, your choice!

Today's Topic: Top ten resolutions I have for 2016 (can be bookish, personal resolutions, "I resolve to finally read these 10 books, series I resolve to finish in 2016, etc).

I'm not usually one for making new year's resolutions but I've made quite a few for 2016 and they're mostly bookish. Here they are!

1. To read 50 books. In 2014 I read 52 books and in 2015 I read 54 so if I don't manage to read at least 50 this year I'll be disappointed with myself. I know that there's nothing wrong with reading less than 50 and that reading isn't a competition but I just like to have to something to aim for.

2. To finally read and finish L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series. I never actually got to read these books as a child. I don't really know why. I think it might just be down to me never coming across them... Anyway I've been hearing so much about the Anne books ever since I started book blogging that I'm finally going to read them all this year. I'll be starting the first book as soon as I finish the book I'm currently on. If I like the series (which I'm expecting to since I really loved Montgomery's adult novel The Blue Castle) I'll also check out the Megan Follows films and the Green Gables Fables webseries.


Found on Bookriot

3. To come up with a new feature for the blog. I'm not sure what that will be just yet but I've got some ideas in mind...

4. To have read at least 20 of the books on my Classics Club list. Tomorrow it will be exactly one year since I started the challenge and in that one year I've only managed to read seven of the books on my list. I want to start making much better progress than this. I really don't want to get to my fourth year with most of the books still left unread!

5. To re-read the following books:
  • The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
  • The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
  • Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons
  • David Copperfield and A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
  • American Gods by Neil Gaiman

6. To sort out my bookshelves. *groans* I keep putting this off but my book shelves badly need a sort-out. I'm going to have to give away books that I didn't like and books that I'm probably not going to re-read again and even then I think I might have to start double-stacking my shelves.

7. To comment more on other blogs and to reply to comments faster. I love to receive comments  on this blog and yet I'm terrible for not leaving comments on other blogs! *blushes* What tends to happen is that I'll click on someone's post, reply to it (erm, in my head) and then not leave an actual comment. I must work on that! And I also want to reply to all of the comments that I receive on this blog within no more than a week after the comments have been left (does that even make sense, lol?)

8. To make more of an effort in reading poetry, plays and non-fiction instead of just reading novels all the time. This was a reading aim that I had for last year and I failed miserably at it. But this year I'm hoping to read Vera Brittain's Testament of Youth, Helen Rappport's Four Sisters (a Romanov biography), Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces, Oscar Wilde's plays, and the poetry of Edgar Allan Poe.

9. To brush up on my Shakespeare by watching a lot of adaptations and filmed stage productions :)

10. To participate in a sci-fi month blog event in November. One of my blogger friends (Lianne over at Eclectic Tales) has been doing this challenge for the past couple of years and I want to give it a go myself this year. "Sci-Fi Month" is a blog event held by Rinn over at Rinn Reads and Lisa at Over the Effing Rainbow. So for the whole of November I'm going to be reading and reviewing sci-fi books. I don't know what those books will be just yet but I'm thinking of reading and reviewing at least one book from my favourite sci-fi subgenres: so they'd be one space opera book, one time travel book, and one dystopia.

What are your resolutions? :)

8 comments:

Lianne @ eclectictales.com said...

Oooh, yes, Sci-Fi Month is so much fun! =D

I really want to re-read Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White and get around to his other books this year *fingers crossed*

Best of luck with your resolutions this year Hannah! =) My TTT

Mònica said...

Oooh, the bookshelf sorting reminded me how most of my books are in my bed, and not on the shelf, which is already packed to bursting, haha! Hope it goes well! Sometimes I'm tempted to just build a little house in the backyard for mon livres.
Oh, hooray for the Shakespeare-watching! I'm trying to familiarize myself more with his works and read more of the plays. I read Romeo and Juliet because we played Tchaikovsky's Romeo & Juliet Fantasy-Overture in orchestra, and it was really good! I've seen Henry V and a Midsummer Night's Dream (My sister's favorite Shakespeare, haha!), but aside from that I remain woefully unread in that particular area... must amend that! :D

IloveHeartlandX said...

Good luck with completing all your resolutions!
My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/01/05/top-ten-tuesday-38/

Reading in the Dark said...

What a great list! Looks like you have some fun books to read this year--good luck!

Hamlette said...

Looks good! My only real plan is to reread all of the Anne of Green Gables books this year -- and happily, they'll count toward the Classics Club AND toward the "Women's Classic Literature" event the CC is hosting this year.

Hannah said...

Lianne - And the best of luck with your resolutions! I'm now going on holiday during SF month but I'm still hopeful that I can read and review at least 3 books during that time.

I've only read two Wilkie Collins books: 'The Woman in White' (which I loved! Marian is one of my favourite fictional heroines ever!) and 'The Moonstone' (which I didn't really like all that much, can't remember why though...) His books 'Armadale' and 'No Name' are also on my TBR list.

Monica - I love the music for the Prokofiev ballet but I don't think I'm familiar with the music for the Tchaikovsky version. I'll have to look into it! And I haven't seen the Henry V film but I have seen the 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' one and I thought that was... okay. It was a really weird experience seeing that film actually because it had so many elements to it that I would usually go crazy for (Italy! Edwardian fashion! Classical music! A great cast!) and yet I was still kind of bored by the whole thing. I guess I just don't find that play as funny as everyone else seems to... :S But anyway, all the best in educating yourself on Shakespeare! :)

Heartland - Thank you!

Reading in the Dark - Aw, thank you! I'm really excited about some of the books that I'll be reading this year :)

Hamlette - Well I'm very interested in reading your thoughts on the whole series! 'Anne of Green Gables' and 'Emily of New Moon' are both on my Classics Club list as well ('The Blue Castle' too although I've finished that one) but since I made the list I've become interested in a couple of other L.M. Montgomery books ('Pat of Silver Bush' and 'Jane of Lantern Hill'). I'm glad I have so much of her works to discover!

Lianne @ eclectictales.com said...

lol are we the same person? Your reactions to The Woman in White and The Moonstone are similar to mine (loved the former, was lukewarm/disappointed in the latter). I also have No Name and Armadale on my TBR pile...and I think The Law and the Lady and another title that I don't remember at the moment. Looking forward to reading them...soonish...lol

Hannah said...

Lianne - Haha, as far as I know we're not :D Looking forward to your thoughts on the Collins books!