Tuesday, 19 January 2016

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers. 10 is just a suggestion to aim for if you can hit it -- do a list of 3 or 5 or 20 on your list. Your post, your choice!

Today's Topic: Ten Books on my Winter TBR List
 

I'm doing a slight variation on the TTT topic of the day ("Ten Books I've Recently Added to My TBR list") because I don't have a physical TBR list as such (it's entirely in my head) and I usually can't remember exactly when and where I first heard about a book. So instead here are all of the books that I'm hopefully going to read and review in the next few months :)

1. The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham. I found out about this book just over a year ago and added it to my Classics Club list. This one's got an interesting setting (1920s' China) and is supposed to be very romantic and tragic and beautiful. I've been told that it will give me all the feels!

2. Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson. This is the first in a high-fantasy series. I found out about it after seeing quite a lot of Kingkiller Chronicle fans recommending it. The book's been described as an Italian Job/Ocean's Eleven-ish heist story only set in a Middle Earth-esque world in which Sauron actually won the War of the Ring. How awesome does that sound?! Come to think of it, the premise actually sounds very similar to Star Wars: Rogue One. Now I know why I'm so excited about that film! :D

3. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. I've been wanting to read this book for years but have just never got round to it. This book won the Pulitzer Prize and it sounds truly fascinating. It's about these two Jewish cousins living in 1940s' Brooklyn who decide to produce a comic book series based on one of the cousin's experiences in Nazi-occupied Czechoslovakia. Apparently this book gives a wonderful insight into American culture and the rise of the superhero genre and I'm sure it will get me in the mood for my trip to New York later this year :) Another reason for my wanting to read this book? Benedict Cumberbatch is a huge fan and has said several times that he'd jump at the chance to star in an adaptation of it.

4. Anne of Avonlea and Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery. My regular readers will probably already know that I've set myself the challenge of reading all of the Anne of Green Gables books this year. I'm currently reading the first book (review forthcoming) and I'm hoping to read the next two books in the series by the end of the season.

5. The Glimpses of the Moon by Edith Wharton. Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence and Summer were two of my favourite books from last year and the next book of hers that I want to read is this one. It's supposed to be the most light-hearted and optimistic of her works so I'm very curious about it.

6. Clouds of Witness by Dorothy L. Sayers. After finally reading all of the canonical Sherlock Holmes stories I've decided to make the Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries my next detective series project and Clouds of Witness is the second book in that series.

7. False Colours by Georgette Heyer. Ever since reading Heyer's Cotillion back in 2013 I've never been able to go more than a few months without feeling the urge to read one of her historical romances. They're a lot of fun and have really helped me deal with my "Jane Austen only wrote six novels and although I can always re-read them and watch the adaptations that still doesn't change the fact that I'll never experience the delight of reading a new Jane Austen novel for the first time" pain.

8. Four Sisters: The Lost Lives of the Romanov Grand Duchesses by Helen Rappaport. A historical biography about the Romanov sisters. I've been trying to incorporate more non-fiction into my reading and this biography is supposed to be extremely good.

9. American Gods by Neil Gaiman (re-read). American Gods was my first Neil Gaiman novel and I didn't actually like it very much even though a lot of people out there consider it to be his best work. I didn't hate the book. I was just kind of ambivalent to it because none of the characters left much of an impression on me and I found the story in general downright... weird :S I'm curious as to whether I'd appreciate this book more on a second read though because in those years since I last read it I've found other Gaiman novels that I've really loved. And I feel I ought to read it before Bryan Fuller's TV adaptation comes out next year.

10. S by J.J. Abrams and Doug Dorst. After seeing Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which J.J. Abrams did such an incredible job on (it's a month later and I still can't stop thinking about the film!), I now want to read his book S. It's been described as an interactive, metafictional mystery novel (intriguing!) and I've read rave reviews for it. The prose in the book was written by a novelist called Doug Dorst but it was Abrams who came up with the actual story.

And now you know what book reviews to expect from me in the next few months! Has anyone read any of these? Do you want to read any of them?

8 comments:

Maggie Seagraves said...

I'm excited about Kavalier and Clay too! I discovered it on the Rory Gilmore book list and it looks so good and different from anything I've read! Happy Tuesday! :D

Lianne @ eclectictales.com said...

I hope you enjoy American Gods this time around! I had the same experience as you; I wasn't blown away by the book the first time around but after re-reading it years later (when I first heard that they wanted to adapt it to television) I finally appreciated why everyone said it was one of his best works.

Yay for The Painted Veil (prepare for all the feels) and Mistborn (...prepare for all the feels there too, lol. That's not spoilerish of me to say...is it?)

That's so true about Georgette Heyer! I think I only have a few of her Regency books left to read (as well as her mysteries) *le sigh*

Happy reading! My TTT

Carrie said...

I want to read Four Sisters as well! My TTT

samara said...

I own "S" but have not made much progress on it due to balancing the text/paratext... Someone told me they managed by reading just the novel first and then going back to read all of the side notes and comments, etc. But the notes are my favorite part! So basically, yah, I don't think I have the discipline for it yet, haha...

Also - Bryan Fuller. adaptation. American Gods? Oh my word!! Already excited for Lucifer (feat. Tom Ellis) but hadn't heard about this one :D [How much are we betting that either Lee Pace or Richard Armitage or both may end up playing a part in this? ;)

Hannah said...

Maggie - Hi! I love your profile picture :) I haven't seen 'Gilmore Girls' but one of my best friends is a huge fan of it so I'm going to have to get round to watching it one of these days. It's a Sunday today so - Happy Sunday!

Lianne - Ooh what you've said about 'American Gods' is very encouraging! Oh and I also wanted to tell you that I've just started Mistborn and I'm really enjoying it so far! I'm finding the dialogue a little awkward at times but I'm really loving Kelsier's badassery and the magic system! :)

Carrie - Hi! And yes that book sounds so good! :)

Samara - YESSS! When I was looking into 'S' I was like "OMW, this definitely sounds like something Samara would be absolutely into! I wonder if she's heard of it?!" :D And I've heard that that's the best way to tackle 'S' as well: that the novel part should be read first and then all of the sidenotes and comments. I'm hoping you'll find that discipline to read the book at some point.

Lee Pace and Richard Armitage in 'American Gods'? For RA I'd say that it's quite likely and for LP I'd say that it's a dead certainty :D Good times!

Lianne @ eclectictales.com said...

Yay that you started Mistborn! =D

Reading in the Dark said...

What great choices! I need to read some of these. I haven't actually read any of them yet, but if The Painted Veil is anything like the 2006 movie, it will be very emotional and so good.

Hannah said...

Lianne - I've almost finished it now, just 100 pages to go :)

Hannah - Thank you! I haven't seen the 2006 movie but I've heard it's wonderful. I actually found out about the book after reading a review of the movie :)