Tuesday, 16 February 2016

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers. 10 is just a suggestion to aim for if you can hit it -- do a list of 3 or 5 or 20 on your list. Your post, your choice!

Today's Topic:  This week is all about music and books. We previously did books we'd give theme songs to so feel free to do that! Or 10 songs I wish that were books.

Such an interesting choice of topic this week! For my own spin on this topic I've gone with My Top 10 Literary Themed Songs :)

1. Paperback Writer by The Beatles
Apparently Paul McCartney wrote this song as a response to an aunt who complained that he only wrote love songs. It has a killer bassline!


2. Cemetry Gates by The Smiths
For me this song is one of The Smiths' most underrated and I think it really showcases Morrissey's brilliance as a lyricist. How many artists and bands would think to write a song about the joys of cemetery-visiting and debating favourite writers?! :)


3. All Along the Watchtower by Bob Dylan (Jimi Hendrix version)
Some critics have speculated that this song was inspired by Biblical scripture (the Book of Isaiah 21:5-9) while others think that the song references the scene in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein where the monster kills Victor Frankenstein's wife while he's in a watch tower. Either way it's a fantastic song! I've gone for the Jimi Hendrix cover rather than the original Bob Dylan version though because as much as I have the utmost respect for Dylan as a lyricist his, erm, "singing" tends to grate on my ears. As a result I usually prefer listening to cover versions of Dylan's songs, some of my other favourite Dylan cover versions are Adele's Make You Feel My Love and Sam Cooke's Blowing in the Wind.


4. Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush
This song is obviously about the Emily Bronte novel and features Kate Bush doing awesome dance moves on the moors like the goddess she is. I love it!


5. The Battle of Evermore by Led Zeppelin (featuring Sandy Denny)
Both Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant and John Bonham are from Birmingham, England (my hometown!) and there are quite a few Led Zeppelin songs that reference famous Birmingham author J.R.R. Tolkien :) This song of theirs references the Ringwraiths and Sauron. There are other Led Zeppelin songs I could have picked for this post but I chose this particular one because of the gorgeous mandolin work from Jimmy Page and the lovely singing from Sandy Denny.


6. Oxford Comma by Vampire Weekend
I associate this song with a really happy time in my life so whenever I hear this song I get taken back to that :) This song might be a controversial pick though since its opening line is "Who gives a f*** about an oxford comma?" :D Now as it happens I don't really have any strong feelings about the oxford comma either way but I know for some people it's a sore subject!


7. Young and Beautiful by Lana Del Rey
I could have picked a few Lana del Rey songs for this topic (Ultraviolence, Body Electric) but in the end I had to pick the song she wrote for The Great Gatsby soundtrack. It's gorgeous and deserved an Oscar nomination!


8. Tales of Brave Ulysses by Cream
And now for some classic 60s' rock about the voyage of Ulysses (or Odysseus if you prefer the Greek) in Homer's The Odyssey.


9. Sigh No More by Mumford & Sons
There are quite a lot of Mumford & Sons songs that reference Biblical scripture but in the end I chose this song because of its lines that reference Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, one of my favourite Shakespeare plays. Also one of my favourite moments in Nothing Much To Do (a modern-day web series adaptation of the play) was when one of the characters mentioned that he was a fan of this band. The meta!


10. Sweet Ophelia by Zella Day
The title of this song is an obvious reference to the character Ophelia in Shakespeare's Hamlet. Zella Day is my most recent musical discovery on this list - I think her songs are fabulous. I especially love her song Shadow Preachers.


Are you a fan of any of these songs/artists? What are your favourite literary-themed songs? :)

3 comments:

samara said...

Aah! What a fun list!! When I saw the topic I was like "I really hope Oxford Comma makes this list--ah!!" And then Young and Beautiful? And then "Sigh no More"? So. much. yes!

Were I to create a list I'd have to also include "Ulysses" by Josh Garrels, "Sailing on a Ship" by Phil Wickham, and--even though I can hardly listen to it--Florence and the Machine's "What the Water Gave Me." Probably forgetting others. But ooh what a fun game to play :)

Lauren Stoolfire said...

Love your picks this week! :D

Check out my TTT and my current giveaway.

Hannah said...

Samara - Thank you! I'm annoyed with myself for leaving out Phil Wickham's 'Sailing on a Ship' though! I can't believe I forgot that one! I can forgive myself for not including the Florence and the Machine song because I didn't actually know it was inspired by Virginia Woolf (your comment got me to look it up) but with 'Sailing on a Ship' I have no excuse!

Thanks for mentioning that Josh Garrels song you like as well. It's beautiful!

Lauren - Thank you! I've had a look at your list. I'm not a huge country music fan to be honest but I love Johnny Cash! :)