Saturday, 2 April 2016

A Selection of Matsuo Bashō haikus (Day Two)


Since I picked such a long poem for yesterday's post I figured I'd go for some haiku poems for today. But there was a problem - me not actually knowing any haiku poets. However after just a little bit of research online I soon found out about Matsuo Bashō - a 17th century poet who is generally considered to be master of the form - and I love the haikus of his that I've found! I'm definitely going to look into this poet more and if anyone could recommend me any more haiku poets I'd greatly appreciate it :)


“Winter solitude-
in a world of one colour
the sound of the wind.”

“How I long to see
among dawn flowers,
the face of God.”

“Harvest moon:
around the pond I wander
and the night is gone.”

“April's air stirs in
Willow-leaves...a butterfly
Floats and balances”

“Between our two lives
there is also the life of
the cherry blossom.”

No comments: