Friday, 15 April 2016

A Selection of Poems (Days 12-15)


I'm posting four poems for today to make up for the fact that I've failed to put up any posts over the last few days. Hopefully I can get back on track tomorrow!


12. "STOPPING BY WOODS ON A SNOWY EVENING"
by Robert Frost (1923)

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.



13. "NO MAN IS AN ISLAND"
by John Donne (1624)

No man is an island,
Entire of itself,
Every man is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thy friend's
Or of thine own were:
Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind,
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for thee.


14. "THE MOST ALIVE MOMENT"
by Rumi.

The most living moment comes when
those who love each other meet each

other's eyes and in what flows
between them then. To see your face

in a crowd of others, or alone on a
frightening street, I weep for that.

Our tears improve the earth. The
time you scolded me, your gratitude,

your laughing, always your qualities
increase the soul. Seeing you is a

wine that does not muddle or numb.
We sit inside the cypress shadow

where amazement and clear thought
twine their slow growth into us.



15. "THE RAVEN"
by Edgar Allan Poe (1845)
Read by Sir Christopher Lee.





2 comments:

Hamlette said...

I'm very familiar with three of these, but I'd never read "The Most Alive Moment." It's very poignant without being maudlin -- nice!

Hannah said...

I haven't read very many of his poems but I love his quotes. Another poet I need to look into more!