Friday, 8 April 2016

"All that is Gold Does Not Glitter" (Day Eight)


I almost forgot to share a poem for today but thankfully I remembered with just a few minutes of the day left to go! This poem is an all-time favourite of mine so I thought I'd put it up. I wish I had the time to write a few more lines about it but, alas, time is ticking.

"ALL THAT IS GOLD DOES NOT GLITTER"
by J.R.R. Tolkien (The Lord of the Rings)

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken.

2 comments:

Hamlette said...

It's deceptively simple, isn't it? And holds such meaning. My favorite line is "A light from the shadows shall spring."

Hannah said...

Yes, on the surface the poem is talking about Aragorn but there's so much more to it than that! And that's a great line!