Tuesday, 26 April 2016

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers. 10 is just a suggestion to aim for if you can hit it -- do a list of 3 or 5 or 20 on your list. Your post, your choice!

Today's Topic: Top Ten Bookworm Delights

1. That moment when I'm reading a new book when everything suddenly clicks into place and I just know that it's going to be a fantastic read and that it will become a new favourite of mine. Sometimes that can happen to me right from the very first page and sometimes that can happen to me when I'm a few chapters in but it's always a great feeling whenever it happens :)

2. Book covers! I think all bookworms know that we're not supposed to judge books by their cover but - let's be honest about it - a book with a gorgeous cover is a massive bonus and can really add to the whole reading experience. My favourite publishing brand for book covers are Vintage Classics. Their covers are always beautiful!

3. Whenever I find someone who likes almost all of the same books and authors that I do and I end up having a good discussion with them.

4. Reading a great book in bed during a cold, rainy day with a cup of tea.


5. Whenever someone reads a book because I recommended it to them and then they end up loving the book as well :)

6. When I watch a literary adaptation that is well-made and has perfectly-cast actors and is extremely faithful to the plot and spirit of the book that I love.

7. Books with literary and/or pop culture references. I love it whenever an author manages to sneak in a good literary reference or when the characters in it happen to love some of the same books/bands/films/TV shows, etc that I love. On the flip side I once read a book where the author put in so many references to various things that it became really annoying and I got the sense that the author was showing off their taste but, when they're not overdone, literary and pop culture references are very nice. 

8. When I re-read an old favourite of mine and find that it's just as good as I remembered it to be, maybe the book is an even better read because I now appreciate certain things about it that I didn't before.

9. Going shopping for books!


10. Whenever I manage to finish a book review or a TTT post or a Bookish and Not So Bookish Thoughts post :)

What are some of the things that you most love about being a bookworm? :)

3 comments:

Hayden said...

haha! That is my favorite Sarah's Scribbles comic. It's very true. :)

I loved your pick for #7! I hadn't thought about that aspect of books very much before. I tend to like literature references a lot, although when it comes to pop culture references it depends. And like you, I've read a couple books where the author just went totally overboard with it as to get annoying. Still, I like it when I read classic books and realize that they made pop culture references back then, too. :) (For instance, I was re-reading one of Lousia May Alcott's works a while back and realized that she had made a reference to Cranford!)

And I love beautiful book covers, too. :)

Lauren Stoolfire said...

Yes to all of these! :)

Check out my TTT.

Hannah said...

Hayden - I love Sarah's Scribbles! I find them ridiculously relatable!

There's a 'Cranford' reference in a Louisa May Alcott book?! I love that! I also especially love the parts in the Sherlock Holmes stories where Holmes quotes Shakespeare and bashes C. Auguste Dupin. For that reason I think it would be really funny if BBC Sherlock did an episode where we see Sherlock Holmes watching an episode of Poirot or something like that which he then proceeds to tear into :D

Beautiful book covers are the reason why I will always prefer reading printed books plus they look great on a shelf. I have an e-reader and I like to listen to audiobooks occasionally but printed books just can't be beat.

Lauren - Thanks, I'll check out your post shortly.