Thursday, 9 June 2016

Bookish and Not So Bookish Thoughts

Bookish and Not So Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things they've encountered during the week, etc).

1. Hello again, dear readers! :) Usually I start these posts off by talking about the particular book that I'm reading but I'm actually reading not one but three books at the moment! It's rather unusual for me but I think I might turn this into a regular thing. At the moment I've just started reading J.J. Abrams and Doug Dorst's S  but I've also been dipping in and out of a book of Pablo Neruda's poetry for a while in addition to listening to a non-fiction audiobook called The Theater of War - read by Adam Driver - on my way to work.

2. I've recently joined Instagram! I used to think that it was mainly photography buffs and people who take selfies a lot who used the site but I started to get interested in it when I found out that it has quite a large "Bookstagram" community. Do feel free to follow me on there if you have an account, I'd very much appreciate it :)

3. A few weeks ago I bought a complete collection of Shakespeare's works (the hardback RSC edition with footnotes) and Miguel de Cervantes' Don Quixote. When I then uploaded a picture of the two books on my Instagram page, I was both very shocked and delighted when Craig Pearce (the screenwriter of Moulin Rouge and The Great Gatsby) liked it!


4. After completely falling in love with the TV show Avatar earlier this year, I've now started to go through its sequel show The Legend of Korra and have just finished its first season. LoK definitely isn't as good as Avatar but it's still enjoyable and is better than most things on TV. I'll talk more about the show when I've finished it or have almost finished it.

5. I've started to go to yoga classes once a week with my mother. A new centre has opened up that's literally around the corner from our house so it's extremely handy!

6. As I'm going away to New York this November (I still can't believe that this is happening!), I won't be going away on holiday this summer. I went on a day-trip to Stratford with some friends recently though and I'm hoping that I can have one or two more trips out...

7. If you've been reading my other Bookish and Not So Bookish Posts you'll know that I've been doing some baking in my spare time. This is a picture of a Carrot Cake that I made not so long ago :)



8. I'm getting more and excited about J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Cursed Child! I'm not seeing the play live - if only I were so lucky! - but I have pre-ordered the script which is due to be published next month. Up until fairly recently I'd been more excited about Rowling's Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them project since it sounded more intriguing to me - wizards in Jazz Age New York! - but now that I've been thinking some more about what I'd actually like to see in a Harry Potter sequel my enthusiasm has gone up considerably. Since the epilogue to The Deathly Hallows implies that Harry's son Albus is a Slytherin I'd love for the play to follow through on that by having Albus sorted into Slytherin House. I imagine Albus would then feel under pressure to prove to everyone at Hogwarts that he isn't the black sheep of his family and I think it would be pretty awesome if he then ended up becoming friends with Draco Malfoy's son Scorpius. I would also love for Scorpius to then have a romance with Ron and Hermione's daughter Rose because oh my goodness can you imagine how Ron would react to that?! Comedy Gold! :D So that's what I'm personally hoping for with this Cursed Child play but even if that isn't actually what Rowling has written I'm still hoping that I'll love it anyway. I'm also taking it as a very good sign that the play had its first preview the night before last and that the audience absolutely loved it! I'm just hoping that I'll be able to avoid any spoilers until I read the play...

9. I've seen a couple of films recently. The first of those was Disney's new adaptation of The Jungle Book. I love both Rudyard Kipling's Mowgli stories and the 1967 Disney film very much but I wasn't a huge fan of this new version. It certainly wasn't bad - I still found it enjoyable overall - but it was definitely over-hyped for me. All of the actor's voices seemed weirdly disconnected from their characters and Idris Elba's Shere Khan didn't do anything for me. George Sanders' performance as Shere Khan from the original film is so much more charismatic and menacing. The other film that I saw recently though was Studio Ghibli's Only Yesterday and I loved that one! Only Yesterday was my fifth Studio Ghibli film - I've also seen Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke and My Neighbour Totoro - and its story is so simple but so beautiful, tender, beguiling and poignant. It's a "slice of life" story done incredibly well as it's much less fantastical than all of the other Studio Ghibli films that I've seen and is clearly a film that's more for adults than children. It reminded me a lot of Jane Austen's Persuasion as it has a very mature and contemplative feel to it and, just like Anne Elliot, the heroine in Only Yesterday, Taeko, has to reconnect with her past in order to move forward. The film has such a wonderful story that really spoke to me, it's incredibly beautifully visually, and the voice acting in it is great as well. I saw the English language dubbing for this film which I was so happy about because I didn't think it was going to be shown in the UK for a while. Usually I much prefer to watch foreign films with subtitles rather than dubbing but I really wanted to see the dubbing because of its cast. Taeko was voiced by Daisy Ridley who gave a very lovely, warm performance and did an excellent American accent (well it sounded excellent to this British girl's ears anyway). It also starred Dev Patel, Ashley Eckstein (Ahsoka Tano from Star Wars: The Clone Wars), and Grey DeLisle which made this Avatar fangirl very happy. DeLisle did the voice of Azula in the show.

10. Just before I finish this post, I thought I'd talk about the upcoming films that I'm thrilled about seeing. One of these is the new adaptation of Jane Austen's Lady Susan called Love and Friendship. Apparently it's got rave reviews and it will be my first time seeing an Austen adaptation on the big screen so that's going to be fun. I was hoping to see the film later this week but I don't think I'll be getting to see it until next Saturday now. Another film that I'm thrilled about is Ophelia which is an adaptation of a YA novel by Lisa Klein that retells the story of Hamlet from the perspective of Ophelia and will be starring Daisy Ridley and Naomi Watts as Ophelia and Gertrude. I adore Hamlet and these actresses so, yep, I'm very excited about it - I think I need to use more synonyms for "excited", lol - and also about the new Beauty and the Beast! :)

4 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

How exciting to have New York to look forward to...enjoy! All of your Instagram photos are lovely....the carrot cake made me drool.

Thanks for sharing....and have a great week. Here is MY BOOKISH THURSDAY POST

Hannah said...

Laurel-Rain - Hi! Thanks for visiting! Yes I'm looking forward to the trip sooo much - more than I have about any other holiday - but I'm also a little scared about it because I keep thinking that it's too good to be true. I'm working to overcome my paranoia, lol.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked my Instagram pictures! I'm not a particularly good photographer but I guess if the second one got you drooling that I did something right!

Lianne @ eclectictales.com said...

Hope you're enjoying Pablo Neruda's poetry! :)

Hannah said...

Lianne - Yikes! Has your comment really been left unanswered since June?! *hangs head in shame* Yes, I am although I'm still going through the book very slowly. I'm dipping in and out of it in-between novels.