Monday, 29 August 2016

Bookish and Not So Bookish Thoughts

Bookish and Not So Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things they've encountered during the week, etc).

1. Hello again, everyone! I hope everyone reading this is well. It's also August Bank Holiday here in the UK today so I'd like to wish all of my fellow Brits a very happy day :) Hmm, I seem to be making a habit out of writing these posts on a Bank Holiday...

2. The books that I'm reading at the moment are an edition of Jane Austen's juvenilia, a collection of Pablo Neruda's poetry (I've been slowly making my way through this book since May), and the audiobook version of As You Wish which is Cary Elwes' memoir about the making of The Princess Bride :)

3. I've signed up to participate in a blog event called Sci-Fi Month this November and I'm really looking forward to it! The event's being co-hosted by two bloggers called Rinn and Lisa and it's still not too late to sign up if anyone else is interested (just click on the above link). I'm planning on starting off the event with a short little introduction post and then going on to read and review some SF books: the Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness and Ready Player One by Ernest Cline :)

4. One of the reasons why I'm so interested in reading Ready Player One is because an adaptation of it is currently being made with Steven Spielberg directing, John Williams composing, and Mark Rylance, Simon Pegg and Ben Mendolsohn all starring. And where is this film being made? Er, WHERE I'M FROM!

5. Regular readers of this blog will know that I started watching the TV show Avatar: The Last Airbender earlier in the year, completely fell in love with it, and then started to go through its sequel show The Legend of Korra. I'm about halfway through that show now but I've taken a short break from it, as I wanted to catch up on the first series of Poldark before its second series gets shown on the BBC later this week :)

6. I've joined yet another social media app: this time Snapchat. I haven't been posting anything on it though. I just really like some of its filters and have been putting them up on my Instagram instead.

Octavos
7. I went to Cardiff last Friday and had a great day! We got there by train and went to its castle first. After that we then had lunch and did some clothes shopping in the city centre and then after that we got another train out to its bay area and had a look around there before heading home. Quite by accident we stumbled across an adorable independent bookshop/cafe/wine bar in the bay area called Octavos which I would completely recommend! The staff were so friendly, the wine was delicious, and the shop itself was so cute and lovely :) I bought two poetry collections from this place: one of Rumi's and one of John Donne's.

8. Apart from that I haven't really gone out very much over the past few months (which is usually pretty typical for me, lol!) and I haven't even been to the cinema much lately. I still haven't got round to seeing Star Trek Beyond yet and I missed out on seeing Love and Friendship sadly. I had planned on seeing it but I really wasn't feeling too well on the day that I'd decided to go so I gave it a miss. But then after that I struggled to find another time when I could see it so I'm now having to wait for the DVD release. Another DVD that I'm waiting for is Disney's Zootopia which I bought online last night. I've heard great things about it so I'm really looking forward to it! The film's called Zootropolis over here in the UK for some reason though :S

9. Has anyone seen the trailer for Guy Ritchie's upcoming King Arthur film? And am I the only one who thinks it looks AWFUL?! I'd been mildly curious about this one as it's been quite a long time since an Arthurian film came out (I think the last one was that film with Keira Knightley way back in 2004) and because I'd read that Katie McGrath (Morgana from the BBC's Merlin) would be having a minor role in it. But any interest that I had has been killed stone-dead now that I've seen its terrible-looking trailer and official synopsis! I mean, "a streetwise young Arthur who runs the back alleys of Londinium with his gang"?! I enjoyed certain aspects of Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes films but turning King Arthur into a thuggish gangster is going much too far!

On a happier note, films that I am looking forward to seeing are:

Rogue One

A Monster Calls (I can't believe that we have to wait until January to see this in the UK though!)

A United Kingdom

10. And that's almost that for today. The only other thing that I want to mention are my travel plans. As some of you will know, I'm going to New York this November for five days (I'm planning on starting my chosen books for SF month in mid-October so I can get them all reviewed in time) but I'm also planning for a trip in April as well now. I can't say much about it at present but it's something that I'm extremely excited about! :D

3 comments:

Manette said...

Zootopia is also called Zootropolis in Finland, though I can see why – Zootopia doesn't mean anything in Finnish. I just saw it myself, it wasn't bad and had a very relevant message for the current atmosphere, but I feel it went "safe" with most of its story-telling choices, not much surprises there.

Oh. My. Gosh. That trailer for A Monster Calls – I haven't read the book, had never even heard of it or the movie adaptation till I read your blog, but that trailer is one of the most beautiful trailers ever! I bet it'll be even later than January when the film premieres in Finland.

Katy Rochelle said...

The only reason King Arthur sparks a bit of my interest is Charlie Hunnam. I have a huge crush on him right now. lol But yes, even as a Guy Ritchie film, the trailer looks like a mess. The other movies look so good though!

Lianne @ eclectictales.com said...

Mark Rylance is going to be in the movie adaptation of Ready Player One? Excuse me while I do a little cry =D (I'm so happy he's getting/doing more movie roles)

Yay that you're doing Sci-Fi Month! Looking forward to your posts then =D