Tuesday, 8 November 2016

Top 10 Sci-Fi Books That I Want to Read (Top Ten Tuesday)

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers. 10 is just a suggestion to aim for if you can hit it -- do a list of 3 or 5 or 20 on your list. Your post, your choice!




It's been a while since I've done a Top Ten Tuesday post but today I'm doing a joint post for both Top Ten Tuesday and the Sci-Fi Month - which makes me feel as though I'm being extra productive! :D For anyone who's not a regular reader of this blog, the Sci-Fi Month is basically a month-long celebration of the science fiction genre that I'm taking part in at the moment. I've written two posts for this event so far: an Introduction post and a list of the Sci-Fi Films and TV Shows That I Want to Watch. After publishing that last post I then got to work on a list of the sci-fi books that I'd like to read and then figured that I might as well link it up with TTT since today's topic ("Ten Books I've Added To My To Be Read List") is a close enough match to that. 

So below you'll find the Top 10 Sci-Fi Books That I Want to Read. Although I have made a bit more of an effort in reading more books from the sci-fi genre over the past couple of years, and will be knocking off even more during this month, there are still quite a few sci-fi books that I really want to read and these are...


1. Dune by Frank Herbert.
Dune is a classic space-opera novel and is generally considered to be The Lord of the Rings of sci-fi. This book was also a major influence on George Lucas when he was writing Star Wars: A New Hope which is the main reason why I want to read it. I'm a massive Star Wars fan and I've been really wanting to check out some of the biggest influences on those films (for example I also really want to watch the samurai films of Akira Kurosawa and to read Joseph Campbell's non-fiction writings on mythology).

2. Red Rising by Pierce Brown. 
This book is set on Mars and is the first in a dystopian trilogy that I've heard a lot of good things about. A friend of a friend describes this book as being what would have happened if the survivors from The Hunger Games had then been "rewarded" with getting to live in the world of Game of Thrones. In space!

3. Steelheart and Legion by Brandon Sanderson.
The original trilogy of Brandon Sanderson's high-fantasy Mistborn books is now one of my favourite fantasy series ever and I can't wait to read more from this author! Sanderson has also written a couple of sci-fi works and both of them sound extremely interesting to me. Steelheart is the first in The Reckoners series which sounds like a truly fascinating blend of YA dystopian sci-fi and urban fantasy (a world ruled by evil supervillains!) and Legion is the first in a planned trilogy of sci-fi mystery novellas about a private detective with multiple personalities.

4. More Than This by Patrick Ness. 
This book is a YA novel and is supposed to be the most existential of Ness's works. I became determined to seek out more from this author after reading Ness's brilliant middle-grade fantasy novel A Monster Calls earlier this year and I'm actually reading his dystopian sci-fi series Chaos Walking at the moment.

5. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.
Station Eleven is a post-apocalyptic novel set in the Great Lakes region of Canada and I've heard nothing but great things about it. In fact this book has received so much hype that I'm somewhat concerned that it won't live up to it! But, yes, I do still intend to give this one a read some day.

6. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.
Outlander is the first novel in a hugely popular time-travel series that I've heard is both extremely gripping and romantic. However - as I was saying in my list of the Top 10 sci-fi films and tv shows that I want to watch - although I do really want to read the books I can see myself checking out its TV adaptation first as there are quite a lot of books in the series and they're all super long.

7. To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis.
I have John Green to thank for this one as I first found out about it when he said that it was his favourite time travel novel in this YouTube video. I then looked into this book a little bit more and I became even more interested! This book has won both the Hugo and the Nebula Awards and it sounds like such a fun and engaging romantic-comedy adventure type story. Come to think of it, I'm surprised that I haven't got around to it already!

8. A Robot in the Garden by Deborah Install.
This is a book that I only found out about a couple of days ago (thanks to my friend Lianne over at Eclectic Tales) but I now really want to read it. Overall it sounds like such a sweet and whimsical story :)

9. Bloodline by Claudia Gray. 
Bloodline is an official Star Wars tie-in novel, is set about five or six years before the events of The Force Awakens, and is focused on Leia Organa's character - which sounds pretty damn awesome if you ask me! :D

10. Shards of Honour by Lois McMaster Bujold.
This book is the first in a Hugo Award winning space-opera series called The Vorkosigan Saga and is yet another book that I want to read due to its Star Wars associations - because when I googled "Books similar to Star Wars" a few months ago this was one of the titles that came up :) To be honest it took me quite a while to get past the awful book covers in this series (I know, I know, I'm such a bad reader for letting covers put me off a book!) but after reading several good reviews I've finally been persuaded to give it a try.


So, what about you? Do you want to read any of these books yourself or have you already read some of them? :)

9 comments:

Lorraine said...

I have both Station Eleven and A Robot in the Garden waiting patiently on my shelves. I really need to get around to reading them soon! To Say Nothing of the Dog sounds wonderful so I've added it to my (epically long) wishlist :)

Rinn said...

I have read numbers 2-6 on this list, and highly recommend them ALL :) They pretty much gave me all the feels though, so come prepared ;)

Greg said...

I love that particular cover of Dune even though I didn't love the book. I hope you like it though, I think I'm in the minority on that one. :)

Bloodline I thought was pretty good, and I thought Claudia Gray did a great job with Leia.

Lauren Stoolfire said...

I need to try Red Rising! I listened to Outlander on audio and while it was good, it was too long in my opinion. I've since watched the first season of the show and I think I preferred it. :)

Lauren @ Always Me

bookishmuggle.com said...

So many of these are on my tbr as well - especially Red Rising and Dune which I have been meaning to read from quite sometime now.

Lianne @ eclectictales.com said...

Hmm, I can see how Dune influenced Star Wars now that I think about it. It's such a rich story, I hope you enjoy reading that book when you get to it! It's one of my favourite books, I'm hoping to read the rest of the original series at some point.

I also hope you enjoy A Robot in the Garden and Station Eleven :) The latter was quite beautifully written :)

Got My Book said...

I enjoyed Dune & To Say Nothing... but wasn't a huge fan (I like The Doomsday Book by Willis better). I love Steelheart & Shards of Honor (but I don't think the latter is that much like Star Wars - and those cover ARE horrible, most of them were repurposed from other books until she became famous).

Visions of the Future: Why SF is Important

Hannah said...

Lorraine - Ooh, yay! I hope that we'll like To Say Nothing of the Dog when we both eventually get around to it!

Rinn - Ah okay, good to know! :)

Greg - Yes, I love that cover of Dune! I'm glad that they gave it a nice one for its anniversary. And I'm also really glad that you liked Bloodline and that you thought it did a great job with Leia. That's very encouraging! :)

Hannah said...

Lauren - You and me both! And, yeah, I definitely think I'm going to have to watch the TV series of Outlander first...

Bookish Muggle - Yes, there are quite a lot of books that I've been wanting to read for years but just haven't got around to yet!

Lianne - Thanks, I'm planning to get around to Dune at some point next year and I'm really hoping that I'll enjoy it! :)

Got My Book - Thanks for the comment! I'll keep in mind what you said about liking Willis's other book better and the Vorkisigan Saga not actually being all that much like Star Wars. And most of the book covers were repuporsed? How lazy! I hate it when publishers do that!