Friday, 4 November 2016

Top 10 Sci-Fi Films/TV Shows That I Want to Watch

Hello again! :) Today's post is my second for the Sci-Fi Month. As you've probably already gathered this isn't going to be my book review of Patrick Ness's The Knife of Never Letting Go as I'm now enjoying its sequel The Ask and the Answer so much that I just can't bear to drag myself away from it for too long :D But at the same time I didn't want to leave any of my readers with nothing else to read from me today so what I thought I could do instead would be to just make a super quick list post of the various Sci-Fi films and TV shows that I want to watch at some point. So without any further ado and in no real particular order...


The Top 5 Sci-Fi Films That I Want to Watch are:

1. Star Wars: Episodes VIII and IX and Rogue One

2. The Circle
An upcoming dystopian film (based on a book by Dave Eggers) with a cast that includes Emma Watson, John Boyega, Karen Gillan and Tom Hanks!

3. Pacific Rim
I wasn't terribly interested in this film when it came out (I can't even remember why) but the good things that I've heard about it ever since and all of the excitement that I've seen over its sequel have now definitely got me interested :)

4. Arrival
Amy Adams is in two films that are out later this month and there's a huge amount of Oscar buzz about both of them. One of those films is Nocturnal Animals which looks like a dark psychological thriller and the other is this Sci-Fi thriller called Arrival. November is going to be a bit of a busy month for me but I'm hoping that I'll be able to squeeze in both!

5. Wonder Woman
Okay... here's the thing. I don't consider myself a DC fan (I haven't liked any of their films since The Dark Knight Trilogy ended) and I've come to the realisation that I'm not even a Marvel fan (which is like the ultimate sin in nerd circles). And yet I'm actually getting quite excited about this film! Its latest trailer looks super fun, it has a female superhero as its lead (Yes!), and I really like the WWI setting!


And now for the Top 5 Sci-Fi Shows That I Want to Watch...

1. Fringe
As you may have gathered from my introduction post to the Sci-Fi Month I'm a huge J.J. Abrams fan (loved The Force Awakens, Super 8 and his Star Trek films!) and I really want to finish this particular TV show that he helped to produce. I've actually already seen the first couple of episodes of this show on Netflix and I really enjoyed them but as I happened to be going through another TV show then I figured that it would probably be best if I went back to it at another time. Unfortunately I lack the multi-tasking skills to binge-watch more than one show at once!

2. Outlander
A time-travel show that's supposed to be deeply gripping and romantic and is based on a hugely popular book series by the author Diana Gabaldon. Although I do really want to read the book series as well I can see myself watching this TV adaptation first as there quite a lot of books in the series and they're all super long. 

3. Orphan Black
A Canadian show made by BBC America about multiple clones, this is yet another TV show that I've seen a couple of episodes of on Netflix and really enjoyed but just didn't have the time back then to watch the show in full.

4. The X Files
A hit '90s show that's become rather iconic! Although I've heard that its seasons are rather variable in terms of quality, I still really want to watch this show. Partly because Mulder and Scully's characters were featured in one of my all-time favourite episodes of The Simpsons ("The Springfield Files") and partly because I loved the film Midnight Special which came out earlier this year (go see it if you haven't already as it's awesome!) and I know a lot of people felt that that film had a similar "conspiracy thriller" vibe to this show.

5. Stranger Things (Season Two)
I really wasn't too sure which show to put down for my fifth choice so I've just gone with the second season of Stranger Things. I finally got round to watching its first season a couple of weeks ago and oh my word it was every bit as amazing as I'd heard!

So that's it from me for today. I'm now planning to write about the Sci-Fi books that I want to read in a separate post and I'm still fully committed to the planned book reviews that I mentioned in my introduction post. I hope you enjoyed this list. So what about you? Do you want to watch any of these yourself or are you a fan of these already? :)

13 comments:

bookishmuggle.com said...

I am so eager to watch the movie - Arrival, especially after reading the short story on which it was based. It is going to be a good movie, I guess. Nice list.

Louise // Exploring by Starlight said...

I'm so excited for Wonder Woman! I've been waiting years for Warner Bros to make a movie featuring her and now they finally have and ahh I can't contain how happy I am that it finally exists :)

Rinn said...

OUTLANDER YES. I love it so much. Although the SF elements are very very minimal - just the time travel, really - it's such a fantastic TV and book series. I've read the first 3 books and am currently re-watching season 2 of the show.

I can't wait to see Arrival. It looks so original.

Crini said...

Pacific Rim and Stranger Things are both my FAVORITES. Watch them both multiple times and can never get enough of them.

I started watching X-Files last summer but I'm not making a lot of progress. Just doesn't seem to be a show I can really get invested in and binge watch. I get rather tired when watching more than 1-2 episodes LOL

I'm SO excited about the Wonder Woman movie even though, just like you, was never really into anything DC. I used to be a huge Marvel but haven't been impressed with what they do lately.

Also looking forward to Arrival. I only watched the first teaser trailer which I LOVED and now I want to go into this movie without knowing more about it.

Greg said...

I think Wonder Woman looks great. I'm not a big DC fan either but after I saw the trailer- wow. And star Wars of course- can't wait to see Luke and Rey together but Rogue One is big for me too, I have high hopes for it. And Pacific Rim i need to see- same thing, the hyp e has me.

Orphan Black is awesome!

Gennifer Eccles said...

I remember that my sister really loved the Fringe back in the day. It looks really cool; I just might watch it myself this month! Thanks for the inspiration! haha.

I cannot wait for Arrival! I've been watching the trailer over and over again. Hopefully I'll be able to watch it this month and review it for Sci-fi month! I'm loving that science fiction movies that don't have superheros are becoming popular.

I haven't read or heard of The Circle, but I might just read it! I know that I'll eventually watch it considering it has both Emma Watson and Tom Hanks!

I hope you like Pacific Rim! I remember enjoying it when I first watched it, but I didn't love it by any means. Let me just say this- it is SO much better than Transformers. At least, in my opinion!

Have a great week!
Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

samara said...

Great list! Coincidentally, I've happened to catch up on 2 of your favorite sci-fi pieces that had been on my lists for ages: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (did the Stephen Fry audiobook--brilliant!) and Edge of Tomorrow (which was incredible!!)

Yay sci-fi :D

Lianne @ eclectictales.com said...

Yes, yes, YES to Orphan Black! I hope you enjoy binging the show when you get to it, Hannah :)

I'm looking forward to Arrival and Wonder Woman as well, they both look fantastic! =D

Hannah said...

Bookishmuggle - Thanks! And I'm glad that you're looking forward to 'Arrival'!

Louise - It's lovely that you're so excited! Yes, it's ridiculous that it's taken so long for a 'Wonder Woman' movie to get made and I really hope that it lives up to your expectations! :)

Rinn - Oh wow, you've really got me excited about Outlander now! :D That enthusiasm is infectious!

Hannah said...

Crini - I've only seen 'Stranger Things' once but I can't wait to re-watch it! Hopefully I can do it around Christmas when I'll have a bit more time on my hands. And I'm really happy that so many people here are excited about 'Wonder Woman' :D

Greg - Cheers for making me feel better about being a sci-fi fan who still hasn't seen 'Pacific Rim' yet! :D And as for Star Wars I feel the same. I'm definitely more excited about Ep. VIII but I still have pretty high hopes for Rogue One as well.

Gennifer - You're welcome! And I'm going on holiday in a couple of days so I might not get to see 'Arrival' until the end of the month but I'll definitely keep a look out for your review :)

Hannah said...

Samara - Thank you! :) And oh wow, Stephen Fry reading Hitchhiker's?! I can imagine him doing a really great job on that! I'll have to give it a listen! And yay! I'm so pleased that you loved 'Edge of Tomorrow!' *high five*

Lianne - Thanks! I'm expecting that I'll enjoy 'Orphan Black' given that I've liked what I've seen of it so far :)

I hope you'll enjoy 'Arrival' and 'Wonder Woman'. I'm pretty sure it was you who first let me know about 'Arrival' actually!

Jordon @ Simply Adrift said...

So many good titles! I really need to start watching The Outlander, I've heard so many good things about it. I also want to read the series but it's really intimidating with how long and big the series is.

I haven't even heard of The Circles?! But it has Emma Watson in it?! Yes!! I definitely need to check this out!

Jordon @ Simply Adrift

Hannah said...

Jordan - Thank you so much! And yep, Emma Watson is in The Circle! :) It's supposed to be coming out sometime in April I think so we don't have too long to wait for it either!