Tuesday, 25 April 2017

Top Ten Tuesday



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers. 10 is just a suggestion to aim for if you can hit it -- do a list of 3 or 5 or 20 on your list. Your post, your choice! Really, it's just a starting off point. We realize 10 can be hard and we don't at all always expect it. And we always thumbs up anyone putting a different yet related spin on the topic to make it work for them!

Today's Topic: Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly NOT Want to Read a Book


For today's topic, you're going to find out about some of my biggest bookish turn-offs!

In no particular order:

1. Grimdark fantasy. I'm really not a fan of ultra-gritty, violent, cynical, nihilistic stories and it frustrates me that there seems to be so much of this material in adult fantasy right now.

2. Hard sci-fi. When it comes to science-fiction I usually prefer the more visual forms of the genre (films and TV) because I like my sci-fi to be very focused on the characters and to only include enough science to move the plot forward. In written sci-fi, authors tend to spend a lot more time explaining how all of the technology actually works and the lengthy technical descriptions will always send me to sleep.

3. Love Triangles. I see a lot of people have included this one on their lists today, lol! Love triangles can be extremely annoying. They're very difficult to do without making the person in the middle of it come across as horribly selfish, indecisive and manipulative for stringing two people along and more often than not they just seem forced and unnecessary. So if I were to find out that a book that I wanted to read has a love triangle then it would definitely give me some pause for thought. Having said that I also think that a lot of stories get falsely accused of featuring love triangles just because there happens to be more than one potential love interest for their characters which I think is unfair. I've always considered a love triangle to be when a character is equally torn between two different love interests and can't decide which of them they should be with.

4. Zombies. I've never seen the appeal of zombie fiction. Zombies are disgusting and are such boring villains. They have no complexity or depth or motives of any kind. Well, aside from wanting to eat brains...

5. Stream of consciousness. I tried to read James Joyce's Ulysses once and oh my goodness I just COULDN'T. 

6. Contemporary high school dramas. Ever since I started blogging I've gotten to find out about some really wonderful sounding Teen/YA books. I'm in my late 20s now and back when I was a teenager there really didn't seem to be all that much choice out there for teenage readers. Most of the books that I remember seeing as a teenager were angsty high school dramas that were heavy on the gossip and spiteful rumours and mean girls and partying and underage drinking and teen gangs and the like. That wasn't remotely my cup of tea when I was a teenager let alone now!

7. A very long series (10+ books). There are a few lengthy book series out there that I've heard great things about and would quite like to read (e.g. The Wheel of Time, The Vorkosigan Saga, The Aubrey-Maturin series) but at the same time I'm also super-intimidated by them because life is just so short and they would all be so time-consuming to read and expensive to buy and there are just so many other books out there.

8. Westerns. The notable exception to this is the TV show Firefly but then that doesn't really count in my eyes as it's really a sci-fi show with western elements as opposed to a western proper. The genre just doesn't appeal to me for whatever reason.

9. Sports. I've never really been much of a sports person so I'd be very reluctant to read a book in which it features quite heavily.

10. A book with a hideous cover. Because to be honest, yes, I do tend to judge books based on their covers although I am willing to make exceptions if its reviews are promising enough.

Are any of the things on this list turn-offs for you? :)

No comments: